Poll: Can you play fretless?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you play fretless?
Yes
39 40%
Only if it has "fret" markings
47 48%
Not at all
11 11%
Voters: 97.
Page 1 of 2
Poll is coming. I'm just interested to know really

I dunno what made me post this thread, i was playing a washburn fretless bass in a store and it was really fun, i don't think after that i'd really want to go back to frets when playing bass. I could play with ok intonation, although i think it was greatly helped by the markers - if i looked away my accuracy would decrease a bit. It was a lot better than my attempt at playing an unmarked upright electric bass.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
well i can play a double bass so i guess that counts.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
My unlined 7-string ABG tells me so.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I play upright at school if that counts. I also own this really cheap fretless Vester bass from the 80's, it works about half of the time, but it's an unlined, undotted "he-man" fretless. It's fun to record with when the electronics actually work.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
No, sometimes I fret a note in the middle of the fret. Me + Fretless= disaster

edit: disaster-fretless=me disaster-me=fretless -> OUCH
I can't, but would like to learn at some point once I get a better fretted (see sig), and for the fretless (god, I have so much GAS) I'm already thinking a MIA Fender Jazz with slighly overwound Fralins. Not sure on fretboard wood, or if I will Epoxy it yet.

Now, I am just getting into the habit of putting my finger so I can feel the frets with the edge of my finger when I play (Fitzy advice makes sense, and you know it )
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i can play fretless's, but i haven't found one that i've liked the felt of or one that played well to begin with
but yeah i can play them
Kinda. I'm not proficient at it, but I didn't sound too bad the times I've tried to.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
dude its freakin east and i havnt even been playing for a year
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by TheBassMan3

Stop the madness! Every single bass player in the world knows that playing fretless is totally different than playing a fretted bass. It requires totally different hand positionings, and therefore, it's freakin west.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I dono how people couldnt even if it had the fret markings. Its not too different :P
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Quote by thefitz
Stop the madness! Every single bass player in the world knows that playing fretless is totally different than playing a fretted bass. It requires totally different hand positionings, and therefore, it's freakin west.

no not really...its easy
Quote by SeveralSpecies

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by TheBassMan3
no not really...its easy

Well, two seconds ago you said it was east, so now you're just changing around your story.

But, granted your arguement is very irritating to most of us, I tend to agree with you. If you have a proper left hand technique, after a month-long honeymoon, you should be able to play fretless just as easily as you play fretted.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by TheBassMan3

Yeah its easy, if you aren't too arsed about correct intonation and think that quarter tones are a good addition to western style music.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Stop feeding you're e-ego.

I'm tone deaf due to some medical problems when I was younger. Learning how to play unlined fretless was a big thing for me. So stop generalising.

thats not my fault
Quote by SeveralSpecies

Matt Freeman>You
Quote by TheBassMan3
no not really...its easy

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by TheBassMan3
thats not my fault

Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
From my experiences in orchestra I'm pretty good at working on fretless surfaces. When I've played on fretless basses I'm only off by a little bit. (The only fretless basses I've played were unlined)
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by The Rival
From my experiences in orchestra I'm pretty good at working on fretless surfaces. When I've played on fretless basses I'm only off by a little bit. (The only fretless basses I've played were unlined)

See, I wish I had that oppurtunity. Instead, I had to settle with playing an unlined fretless through a tuner for 4 months to get a decent level of muscle memory down.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
See, I wish I had that oppurtunity. Instead, I had to settle with playing an unlined fretless through a tuner for 4 months to get a decent level of muscle memory down.

Man, I couldn't imagine. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you 'hear'?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Man, I couldn't imagine. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you 'hear'?

I can't pick up stuff that well, in my right ear anyways. Without having an ear drum in that ear at the time when you develop your aural capacity harmed it. It's not totally screwed, but it's certainly been a hindrance. It's just a case of finding it REALLY difficult to pick up differences between whole notes and flats, for example, although it is getting much better since I've been training my ear. I find it very difficult to get a decent tuning by using the 5th fret or harmonic methods.

The whole situation is why I think theory is dead important.

But when playing fretless, now I don't have to worry about my pieces sounding good note wise, because of the muscle memory and theory knowledge.
I can play an unlined, but I need those dots on the side for a reference point.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I play upright in the school band with almost spot on intonation in the first position. Going past C on the G is tough since i'm kind of tone deaf.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I can't pick up stuff that well, in my right ear anyways. Without having an ear drum in that ear at the time when you develop your aural capacity harmed it. It's not totally screwed, but it's certainly been a hindrance. It's just a case of finding it REALLY difficult to pick up differences between whole notes and flats, for example, although it is getting much better since I've been training my ear. I find it very difficult to get a decent tuning by using the 5th fret or harmonic methods.

The whole situation is why I think theory is dead important.

But when playing fretless, now I don't have to worry about my pieces sounding good note wise, because of the muscle memory and theory knowledge.

Ah. I've heard of people who are naturally tone deaf and literally hear wrong notes. However, being a tone deaf musician could be interesting as you could take a 'mathematical' approach to music - and, like you said, knowing theory is key, ear or not.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Ah. I've heard of people who are naturally tone deaf and literally hear wrong notes. However, being a tone deaf musician could be interesting as you could take a 'mathematical' approach to music - and, like you said, knowing theory is key, ear or not.

I used to be quite mathematical to begin with, but as time progressed, the logical approach became the norm and it's just playing with emotion and feeling now.

Although the weird thing is, I can tell you if a pinch harmonic is an F or and F#, lol
Music by numbers? Ever heard of the Serialists? The 12 Tone Row doesn't leave much room for expression.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

That sucks dude. Though you now really know your stuff which is awesome.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
never tried, but i doubt that i could so i voted no.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I want to learn to play fretless. I have a piece of ( ) $200 bass so its about time for me to get a new one
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Page 1 of 2