3 9%
End of guitar chain
4 12%
In effects loop
22 67%
eqs are dumb
4 12%
Voters: 33.
Hey guys, i am about to get an EQ pedal most likely the Danelectro Fish n chips cause its soo inexpensive and gets good reviews. But as i've read stuff on eq's I saw that you could put the eq in front of the amp or in the effects loop. So what are the advantages of each way to have the eq? Does having the eq in front shape the guitar tone more, and in the effects loop to make the amp have a slightly different voicing? I've searched a bunch soo any info appreciated.
Just to tell you It is a good pedal, I had one a long time ago, But honestly, it's not needed, And I would say through the efx loop. I have run it infront of my amp, and through the efx loop, and the efx loop just made it sound more natural.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Just to tell you It is a good pedal, I had one a long time ago, But honestly, it's not needed, And I would say through the efx loop. I have run it infront of my amp, and through the efx loop, and the efx loop just made it sound more natural.

Well i kinda need it since my amp only has one eq knob. But i guess i'll just have to see for myself.
who the hell voted for 'eq's are dumb' !?

oh, and i'd put it in the FX loop.
just see what sounds best to you.
lol, i didn't think anyone would vote for eq's are dumb. Guess they don't like eqs..

Quote by The_0thersid3
in that case i would have it before the effects loop but keep the volume slider to the middle to avoid getting exsessive amounts of gain.

By 'before the effects loop' do you mean to have it in my guitar chain, or in the effects loop? And if it was in the effects loop does the volume slider have less effect or more do you think?
I'm could be wrong, but I think the power from the actual FX send/return would blow the pedal. Pedals are made for instrument power, not line.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by kirschman13
I'm could be wrong, but I think the power from the actual FX send/return would blow the pedal. Pedals are made for instrument power, not line.

That's what the FX loop is for, pedals.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by kirschman13

FX loop is for pedals, therefore, you're wrong.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
You can run pedals on line signals anyways, people do it all the time with keyboards. You just have to turn the knobs down a bit.
^Mhmm My fulltone OCD is has so much volume you can plug earphones into the output and hear it pretty well. If that doesn't blow my pedal, I'd doubt the FX loop would break it.

Lots of fx loops have send and return knobs as well, to reduce clipping.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
^Mhmm My fulltone OCD is has so much volume you can plug earphones into the output and hear it pretty well. If that doesn't blow my pedal, I'd doubt the FX loop would break it.

Lots of fx loops have send and return knobs as well, to reduce clipping.

hows that sound?
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

I say in the efx loop, but why not try it in the chain as well? it wont hurt and it will take all but 1 minute to change it about.
they're cheap, buy 2, do both :P

but i would go for the fx loop
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i voted for dumb.
only coz it was there and im bored.

in all seriousness, your best off tryin it out in all the places u listed and findin the one that suits u best.
Quote by angusslashdime
hows that sound?

If you turn the gain down on LP mode, and the volume up, it gets pretty good cleans, but if you put the gain past 1 o clock, it gets buzzy.

Then again, not many amps with headphone outs sound good with distortion anyways, at least, the non modeling ones, so I don't expect much.

It's great to practice by yourself though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

It all comes down to what you like the most. Ive started putting mine through the loop, boosts both channels. When I was a noob i just had it out front and it only boosted my cleans it pissed me off.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.