So I started playing bass 4 years ago, then I got a guitar 1 and a half years later and played that for a while. Then I was gonna get back into Bass, so I wanted new pickups and ended up taking apart my bass and never putting it back together. So I just got a Fender Jaguar Bass a couple days ago and it's working out great.

Question is, what should I do to adjust myself back to bass? I'm mainly a slap player, but right now I'm sucking at pretty much everything else. Any songs or lessons I can try out?
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
start playing along to songs bro, work on your fingerstyle and shake hands with beef. that always helps
Just play...do what you did 4 years ago.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
Quote by teachmyself
Just play...do what you did 4 years ago.

4 years ago I was 12 and I liked Sum 41 and Simple Plan. Definitely don't wanna go back to that.

But I am trying out some Mars Volta songs like Day of the Baphomets, and random slapping.
Gear
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
That's not my point...what did you do when you first played bass? Probably messed around, with no goal, which actually helped me...it builds up strength and learning to play "cleanly." I have never learned to play another band's songs. I want to be my own musican...I don't care if you can play Crazy Train forwards and Backwards...perfectly. That's just memorizing patterns. Learning to play, is getting up with a random band, without talking and just jam...learn your instrument, not other songs...

Sorry That ended up being a bit off-topic...
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
One more thing...I knew a guitarist that could play every Bullet For My Valentine song, almost perfectly...so i tried to start a band with him...He sucked...he didn't know the notes on the fretboard...no chords whatsoever...He was awful to work with...
Quote by arowana1027
Quote by Sly Taco
start playing along to songs bro, work on your fingerstyle and shake hands with beef. that always helps

Playing in the ways of Primus and Les Claypool is always fun.

Slap, popping, struming, triplets, quadruplits.

You want to try a realy odd mix of fun things to learn, Play some of his music........

My personal Favorites are The Toys go winding down By Primus

Or

David Makalaster By Claypool
Bass: Jackson Cb20 Concert
Amp: Crate BT 1000
Lol I know what you mean, but I like to learn stuff from songs, kind of like a marker. Certain patterns and stuff that I can take out of it. Like I know I've improved if I can play certain parts of songs faster and more accurate and stuff.

But yeah, right now I'm just fiddling around, so I guess I'll keep up with that until I get bored.
Gear
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
ummmmmm........learning other songs improves your knowledge of the instrument along with giving you ideas for your own stuff dude love
Quote by teachmyself
That's not my point...what did you do when you first played bass? Probably messed around, with no goal, which actually helped me...it builds up strength and learning to play "cleanly." I have never learned to play another band's songs. I want to be my own musican...I don't care if you can play Crazy Train forwards and Backwards...perfectly. That's just memorizing patterns. Learning to play, is getting up with a random band, without talking and just jam...learn your instrument, not other songs...

Sorry That ended up being a bit off-topic...

learning other songs greatly helps you to understand how music works since the songs you are learning have been written by seasoned musicians. i think it would be to your advantage to learn songs in a genre that you are interested in playing in.
Quote by Jeffblute
Playing in the ways of Primus and Les Claypool is always fun.

Slap, popping, struming, triplets, quadruplits.

You want to try a realy odd mix of fun things to learn, Play some of his music........

My personal Favorites are The Toys go winding down By Primus

Or

David Makalaster By Claypool

Toys go winding down is a right hand triplet beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta love the Colonel!!!
I'm not saying that you shouldn't learn other songs, I'm saying that it doesn't work for me...
Quote by arowana1027
I find that, unless your a song-writing machine, your ideas tend to become pretty stale unless you allow yourself to be influenced. Thats Taco's 2 cents jody's
Oh trust me...I'm heavily influenced by other bands. If I hear a bassline I like, I don't go find the tabs for it. I pick up my bass and try to recreate the same feeling of that line. It doesn't have to be the same key, tempo, or anything. Just similar. I treat it as if I'm the new bassist, and I don't have to copy the previous bassist's work, so I write my own lines to existing songs.
Quote by arowana1027
Quote by teachmyself
One more thing...I knew a guitarist that could play every Bullet For My Valentine song, almost perfectly...so i tried to start a band with him...He sucked...he didn't know the notes on the fretboard...no chords whatsoever...He was awful to work with...

Wow you're from South Carolina.

This is almost too scarry, are you from Lexington? Because I used to be in a band with a guy very much like that, named Timmy.
Quote by Sly Taco
I find that, unless your a song-writing machine, your ideas tend to become pretty stale unless you allow yourself to be influenced. Thats Taco's 2 cents jody's

Yeah, and that can be pretty difficult. Try listening to disco for an hour and all you'll get is a headache. =(
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
I'm not from Lexington. I'm from the upstate. Clemson area.
Quote by arowana1027