HI. I'm looking for a guitar suited to blues, classic rock and some heavy rock.
I have a budget of £800... and I'd like some suggestions. I've looked into an American strat, which I thought was a good all round guitar, but it didn't quite have the fat lead tone I'd like. I'm really interested in the Tokai ls150, but there's nowhere I can try one.
I've checked out some Sg's, but quite frankly... I want a more vintage/slightly less biting tone.

Any input would be much apreciated

Cheers guys.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

If you like the tone of Les Paul's, then you'd be good with the Tokai. The one I played in my local store about eight months ago was nearly as good as the shop owners Gibson Les Paul. You might also be able to get a Gibson Les Paul Classic for about £800 used, or new if lucky.
A Les Paul?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I have an american strat, it plays all of what you said except perhaps a strong heavy rock sound.

How about a fat strat? with the HSS thing going on??? Seems like a good choice for you!
If Iron Maiden use strats, a strat can do heavy rock/classic metal.

A fat strat seems a good choice in my opinion.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Tokai, Edwards, used Gibson LP studios, look for them.
And Strats too, depends what kind of sound you're lookin for.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, if you want a Strat, like Hendrix=God said, the HSS will probably suit you better. Bridge hum's ftw!
I'm not sure. Strats are great... but I think I want an LP. I reckon the ls150 would be better than a Gibson standard (from what I've heard), and certainly the classic. Also... having tried some 'swiss cheese' Gibsons..
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Then go with it. From the Tokai's I've played, they're really good. And if you ever needed to, you could swap the pickups to Gibson Burstbuckers, to get a real Gibson sound.
I'm not sure. Strats are great... but I think I want an LP. I reckon the ls150 would be better than a Gibson standard (from what I've heard), and certainly the classic. Also... having tried some 'swiss cheese' Gibsons.. I feel that there's just something missing.
Maybe not even al LP... I've heard of some Parkers - PM120? that sound pretty promising... although I do love Les Pauls.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by BobMarleysGhost
If Iron Maiden use strats, a strat can do heavy rock/classic metal.

A fat strat seems a good choice in my opinion.

They're fitted with Seymour Duncans mind you.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
SRV sig, or if thats too much, classic players 60's strat. both are niice. otherwise look at the baja tele, give teles a shot.

the 72 reissues have dual humbuckers, so they kick ass in harder rock.

also highway 1 series and koa series fenders have more rock oriented pickups.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Last edited by rhakiath at Oct 25, 2007,
I think it's more the mahogany and the slab of it that's creating the 'fat' tone. I just don't think I can quite get the sustain or balls out of a strat...?
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

try an HH tele or really any on brigde pup. you will note that it has no trem, and a stouter neck gthan a strat. this adds sustain, and that tone you get is roughly consistent of 75% balls and 25% spank. get a ts9 with it, you'll have both cleans and rock versatility.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Quote by R_H_C_P
Tokai, Edwards, used Gibson LP studios, look for them.
And Strats too, depends what kind of sound you're lookin for.

+1

for that kinda budget, maybe slightly more, you could pick up 2 edwardses, a les paul and a strat.

or a second hand tokai strat and an edwards les paul should be under budget...

really up to you to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AdamDK
Then go with it. From the Tokai's I've played, they're really good. And if you ever needed to, you could swap the pickups to Gibson Burstbuckers, to get a real Gibson sound.

yeah. i tried a relic tokai that absolutely slaughtered a gibson les paul classic antique i tried on the same day.

I wouldn't bother with gibson pickups, for the £50,000 they cost you could buy a porsche instead.

Oh alright, if you want to be sensible, you could buy bareknuckles or bulldogs for less, which are nicer pickups (probably, in the case of bulldogs, as I haven't tried them).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave!
How would an Edwards compare to the Tokai? I'd really like to buy one already in the Country, and the ls150 looks pretty fine
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

how much is the tokai?

problem is the model numbers change all the time, and it gets very confusing very quickly.

out of the ones I've tried, I prefer my edwards to the japanese tokais around the £400-£600 mark, but the tokai relic i tried at £1000 was a bit nicer than my edwards.

no idea on the model numbers unfortunately...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=5&products_id=48

That's the one I'm looking at. Looks pretty well speced to me...I just want to make sure there aren't any better alternatives.

Cheers
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

thanks.

I really wouldn't know to be honest. I'd have thought edwards should be at least of similar quality, but for little more than half the price. if you're willing to import, that's what I'd do.

EDIT: also, if you're willing to go to £800, i'd try to find that nitro relic i tried- i know a guy on the bareknuckle forum found one for £500 second hand...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another question that I'd like answered if at all possible, is: does the ls150 justify the price difference from say, an ls85? I could get an ls85 and put in bareknuckles for the same price.
If i'm quite honest, I'm not keen on importing a guitar, although I'm more than willing to buy used. Also cheers to Dave - you've been consistently helpful.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

i know the £1000 tokai relic i tried was noticeably better than the £600 MIJ tokais I tried. Kinda like the difference between a gibson les paul studio and a PRS. My reaction to the £1000 tokai was "wow, that's badass/sublime", while to the £600 ones is "that's a decent to good guitar at a decent to good price".

Whether that's worth it to you is another matter- to me, edwards are "good enough". However, that's because my main music style is 80's metal, shred and the like- I still want the classic guitars as i play enough classic rock and blues to justify it, but not enough to really justify £1500 versions when i can get ones which are "good enough" to me for £400-£500. I save the £1500 super-guitars for my main styles, as for that £1500 I could buy 3 edwardses, and almost complete my "vintage" collection... If my main music style were classic rock, though, I probably could justify the more expensive ones- navigator, those more expensive tokais, gibson customs shops, custom builds, etc.

I hope that makes sense- of course it's my opinion too.

Again, IMO, just to summarise- if you're looking at the £600 tokais, I'd prefer an edwards, as you'd save between about £100-£150, and have duncans into the bargain (which you could keep or sell on). If you are willing to go to bigger prices, you can get better, but only you will know if it's worth it or not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 26, 2007,
Someone else suggested I look at a Gibson BFG - any thoughts on that?

Cheers
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban