Page 1 of 2
well im thinking about getting a head and cab, i play mostly metal, getting a jackson warrior wrmg

how much would it cost for a good head and cab? i was thinking marshall
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
$500 or $600 at least. For something good, like a Marshall JCM and 1960 cab, itll be well over $2000.
dont get a marshall, they sound like crap. there a "rock" amp, you want metal get a 5150 and a good can.
Quote by burn the stars
dont get a marshall, they sound like crap. there a "rock" amp, you want metal get a 5150 and a good can.

They don't sound like crap at all. And there are plenty of metal bands out there who use Marshalls for metal. You might not like them, but that doesn't mean they're crap, and it doesn't mean they can't do metal.

TS, you could probably get a used 5150, as suggested, off eBay. Alternatively, depending on how heavy your style is, you could look into a used JCM800 or 900 and something to push it a little (or a lot, if you want ).
the evh head + cab is over £2000 ($4000) way too much money
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
^ Go used. Much cheaper. And don't go for the EVH version - just the regular 5150 would be enough
i cant find any 5150 on the net
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by burn the stars
ebay, regular 5150 around 400-500usd http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260174500791&Category=38076&_trksid=p3907.m29

get a cheeper cab like a behringer or something. they sound AMAZING and dont rape you on the price.

In my experience, Behringer cabs fall around the same quality level as the Marshall MG cabs, and the speakers are anything but good. Also, that's eBay.com... The TS is from the UK

Edit: I don't know why I made another post to say that o.0
would the mkh 1 and mkh II make a difference?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I think there's a difference, but I don't know what it is. Metal amps aren't my thing, so I've never played one.
Quote by Denthúl
In my experience, Behringer cabs fall around the same quality level as the Marshall MG cabs, and the speakers are anything but good. Also, that's eBay.com... The TS is from the UK

Edit: I don't know why I made another post to say that o.0

in my experance i sold my marshall cab and got the behringer BG412H and have toured for 3 years on it with the crappy casters being the only problem.
well i guess alot of saving to do then XD
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
if 5150 isn't throwing up any results try 6505, that should be pretty good too
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by burn the stars

Wow, a bold statement by someone who swears by his Behringer cab. And by the by, Id take my JCM900 over my old 6505 any day.
Peavey Windsor + booster maybe?
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

would the peavey windsor head handle metal? it says on the description its for british rock?

what sort of booster?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
^Why shouldnt he buy used?

Get a TS-9 or some GOOD tubescreamer and boost the windsor and you will be flying!

Quote by burn the stars
dont get a marshall, they sound like crap. there a "rock" amp,

tell that to slayer, Metallica, Megadeth?
Last edited by False_God at Oct 26, 2007,
hmm ok i will give it a thought i think the best option is going to be the windsor with the ts-9
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
6505 = 5150

Same thing, so if you can't find a 5150 used, try looking for the 6505.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have the Windsor, and thats correct, all it needs is a little more tightening with a TS9. You can more than get away with playing high gain stuff on it.
how much is the 5150 = 6505 used?

i mean head and cab
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
how much is the 5150 = 6505 used?

i mean head and cab

I've seen 2x12 combos of the 6505 on ebay between $600USD to just under $1000.

Half-stacks average (depending on cab) $900-$1100USD.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^Thats in america.

Peavey are miles cheaper there. So screw that idea.

Imo, look into a Engl.
i searched engl, they seem too pricey for me
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Last edited by ChazBcWarlock at Oct 26, 2007,
You won't get a good metal amp if you aren't willing to dish out, so I've found anyway. Out of interest, why do you want a stack? I think you need to research a lot more before you start wanting.

And no to the Behringer cab, whoever suggested that.
i know i will have to dish out, im only 15 at the moment but i wanna do some research into it before i have over £1000 to spend, i would be wanting to use it for either gigging or recording
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
i have a roland cube 60 at the moment i think its fairly useless to buy another combo as the gain on the roland is quite substantial so i thought atleast with a half stack its tube and i can put some pedals infront of it
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
You can get tube combos, y'know? 6505/5150 can both be bought in combo form at least. ENGL combos such as the Screamer are supposed to have more gain than ever needed. It'd be better to upgrade from your Roland to a tube combo first, then a further upgrade somewhere down the line when you know that you need one.
are you sure because i dont want to waste my money on a combo then one year later have to pa for a stack
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
i have a roland cube 60 at the moment i think its fairly useless to buy another combo as the gain on the roland is quite substantial so i thought atleast with a half stack its tube and i can put some pedals infront of it

Tubes come as combos, why couldn't you put a pedal in front of a combo?

You don't HAVE to have a stack in order to use pedals...
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
are you sure because i dont want to waste my money on a combo then one year later have to pa for a stack

You won't be wasting your money. Not if you buy a combo you won't have to upgrade. What if stuff doesn't work out and you end up not needing a stack? Added to the fact it's much easier carrying a combo round after gigs than a stack

Or equally, you could just buy an MG stack and have done with it.
Quote by Zakk_Wylde00

Or equally, you could just buy an MG stack and have done with it.

you are kidding me right?

so your saying a combo could easily do a gig?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
A combo can easily do a gig, depending on the size of the venue and how excessively loud the rest of your band can be. I think most people would agree that a 30watt tube combo would be loud enough to get over a drummer (unless he uses a jackhammer, or you want more clean headroom), and someone I know that plays solo uses a 15watt tube, mic'd.

If you're still unsure, many tube combos also have the flexibility to run an extension cab and can be used as a "head."
Last edited by Hakael at Oct 26, 2007,
yeh but im talking heavy metal so it would have to be louder than a soloist?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Page 1 of 2