Both are wrong
10 10%
Both are right
20 19%
other bigger way to become a great guitarist
23 22%
Voters: 105.
Page 1 of 2
So me and my friend got in a fight about how to make be a great guitarist.He said that to be you have to be able to play any song and your playing speed has to be fast? and I said that to be a guitarist you have to be creative with the songs and solos you make.

So The Pit ,the question is who is right?

This is nothing that is major just want to know thanks.
To keep the audience happy and keeping within the time.

EDIT: My post has got nothing to do with the question.
the guitarist has to be either

a) Jason Becker

b) Chuck Shuldiner
Quote by zwart_gitaar

Dismemberment gives me an erection!
practice
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
well a good guitarist might want an amp upgrade (points to Mr. Abomonation's sig)

you need to be knowlegable of at least some theory, play in good time, and make music ppl actually like
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
A good search bar tends to be crucial in defining a good guitarist, as well as copious amounts of practice with a hint of talent and a sweet aroma of dedication.
I disagree with both. Speed is not essential to being a good guitarist but the ability to write solos are not either.
Ambition, devotion and talent. Talent is probably the least important out of all of these.

Good studying and tons of practice count.
Great guitarist or great musician? There's a big difference. HUGE. Your friend is right about great guitarist. You are right about great musician.
no offense but your friend is a tard... To be a great guitarist you have to bring something new that everyone will copy it in the futur. Something like when this thing is gonna be played people will be like "a its thas guitarist who discover that style".
Quote by Mr.Abomination
So me and my friend got in a fight about how to make be a great guitarist.He said that to be you have to be able to play any song and your playing speed has to be fast? and I said that to be a guitarist you have to be creative with the songs and solos you make.

So The Pit ,the question is who is right?

This is nothing that is major just want to know thanks.
That's getting more into the question "What makes a good composer?".
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
well a good guitarist might want an amp upgrade (points to Mr. Abomonation's sig)

you need to be knowlegable of at least some theory, play in good time, and make music ppl actually like

+1
all the way man
Well really now that I think about it...what someone considers a great guitarist someone else will not. This is all a matter of opinion.
Quote by Mr.Abomination
So me and my friend got in a fight about how to make be a great guitarist.

I don't think there is one ingredient for a great guitarist. I don't go on technical ability at all, it's all about how it makes me feel and if I like the sound. This surely means that there is no correct answer except to settle everything in either an E-war or a fight at school.
Quote by blackflag49
Good hair, nice dance moves.

damn right!!!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
i think to be a great guitarist, you need to know the techniques.

however, to be a great musician, you need to have the imagination.
Quote by I'm_Guitarded

Well The line 6 is doing very well for me cause I can't make alot of noise in the house and plus I dont have the money.Nice try at humor too.
Sounds like your friend is too technique oriented. Anyone can play with technique- it just takes practice.

Be technical
Be soulful
Be innovative
Be controversial
Be ready to bend over backwards
Be business minded
hmm well speed can count, but a great guitarist would know when and when not to play at cutthroat speeds. They have to know how to fit into the music.
For a guitarist to be good, he needs to be somewhat fast, versatile, and be able to put together great songs that arent just a massive shredfest. I love people like Claudio Sanchez, because he is a great technical guitar player who plays with his emotions, not his mind. He can do amazing songs, and can play several styles of guitar. And he and his band do some amazing things that havent been done before.
you're both write in a sense.

a great guitarist in my opinion should be versitile in his playing or in your friends words "be able to play everything", he/she shouldn't stick to one specific style of music, but broaden their horizons with other styles.

i think the element of speed should also be there, playing fast isn't an absolute must, but i think to be an accomplished guitarist, you can't go on playing simple patterns all the time. you have to spice things up with something a bit more complicated, it doesn't have to be incredibly fast ie. Rusty Cooley or Shawn Lane, but it should be a fair piece of guitar.

song writing and being "creative" is a big element on the road to being great, simply because the guitar is first and foremost an instrument and like all instruments, it's meant to make music. what good will all those scales and chords be to you if you can't use them for anything?

soloing is an arbitrary subject, personally i love soloing and think every guitarist should at least know their scales and have some background on soloing, but others think differently. for instance, my guitar teacher thinks that it's better to play chords fast than to learn to solo, and i disagree with him. i think that playing chords all of the time is very bland and boring musically, so i love soloing to add some personal flavor to a certain song. now i'm not saying rhythm guitar isn't important, but i prefer soloing rather than playing rhythm. but in any case, learning both would be prudent in becoming a great guitarist.

i could go on and on about other things you should know to be great, but when it comes down to it, the word "great" can mean different things to different people.

in my opinion, learn anything and everything you can get your hands on, then you will become an accomplished guitarist.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by skeptopotamus
Sounds like your friend is too technique oriented. Anyone can play with technique- it just takes practice.

Be technical
Be soulful
Be innovative
Be controversial
Be ready to bend over backwards
Be business minded
Not everyone has the same level of devotion. Classical musicans generally practice their instrument 4-6 hours daily. I don't think everyone has the patience and devotion towards music as they do.
everything is in the ''fealing'' if you know wath i mean. theres not that important to play fast
There is just so much more to it than whether or not people think you are great. Sure, if your riffs have no coherent pattern and sound like @#$%, no one will like you. But speed does not make a good guitarist, it just makes them fast. Of course, if you play scaled soloes fast then good for you, but playing random stuff fast seldom ever sounds good.

There are many factors that go into consideration than just playing speed.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Music=Emotion
Speed=More Notes=More music=More emotion.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Both wrong, IMO.

A great guitarist is only in the eyes of the beholder.

It varies massively from person to person.

There is no set standard for greatness. Popularity usually puts guitarists on "Greatest" lists, but popularity isn't everything. It's not even neccesary.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by The Leader
Music=Emotion
Speed=More Notes=More music=More emotion.
I see some good logic in that idea. And speed is a desirable trait for me as a guitairst. But the quote by the composer, Claude Debussy, sort of contradicts your post:
"Music is the silence in between the notes".
Quote by The Madcap
Not everyone has the same level of devotion. Classical musicans generally practice their instrument 4-6 hours daily. I don't think everyone has the patience and devotion towards music as they do.

Like I said, Anyone can do it. If you want it, you'll devote the time.
Quote by The Madcap
I see some good logic in that idea. And speed is a desirable trait for me as a guitairst. But the quote by the composer, Claude Debussy, sort of contradicts your post:
"Music is the silence in between the notes".

Love that quote.
Quote by skeptopotamus
Like I said, Anyone can do it. If you want it, you'll devote the time.

Not quite. I want to be a computer expert, but I don't want to devote time to puruing that. Some people simply don't have the patience, nor the strength to make themselves give extreme time an effort.
Page 1 of 2