I am going to buy a new bass this Xmas and have around $400 to spend, might be able to reach $500, but that would be max. I am a beginner bass player with a cheap Rogue bass and want a better bass. I have no intentions of gigging or playing in public, so don't need a high end bass. I don't care for Fender or Squier style basses. I am partial to Schecter or Ibanez basses as far as looks because I like wood color basses, but nothing too flashy. I like EMG pups, but am open to others.

Knowing all this, what would you recommend?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Take a look at some Yamaha basses.
The RBX374 perhaps, though i think they usually have a quite "flashy" finish.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Last edited by Grönis at Oct 25, 2007,
i got a 5 string shecter stilleto deluxe for 400 on ebay that should arrive today
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Dude do you have that rogue lx200b.. But i would recomend Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-4 Bass.
Schecter Stilettos, Ibanez SR series and definetely check out low-end Spectors. They have a nice wood finish as you said you liked, AND EMGs as standard. Check out Coheed & Cambria if you wanna hear the lovely Spector tone.

And here's a Spector in your price range: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Spector-Legend-Classic-4String-Bass?sku=517435

Disclaimer: I have never actually tried out a Spector before, I'm just going off the good reviews.
signature
My SR 305 DX is awesome, and I got it for $300. List was $516, too. It's amazing, but it needs a big amp to sound perfect.
Like several people said, check out the Ibanez SR series. They are very good basses with excellent tonal capabilities and are very easy to play. The lower end models of the EDB series are also good basses.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Schecter Stilettos, Ibanez SR series and definetely check out low-end Spectors. They have a nice wood finish as you said you liked, AND EMGs as standard. Check out Coheed & Cambria if you wanna hear the lovely Spector tone.

And here's a Spector in your price range: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Spector-Legend-Classic-4String-Bass?sku=517435

Disclaimer: I have never actually tried out a Spector before, I'm just going off the good reviews.

Just wanna jump in and say Spector's are AWESOME, but definately play one first as it may not be to your liking.

I fell in love with a legend 5 stringer, felt better to me than all the 1400$ basses I was playing around with that day, definitely gonna be my upgrade bass from this squier
Ibanez BTB200

sexy bass
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
Quote by ticklemeemo
My SR 305 DX is awesome, and I got it for $300. List was $516, too. It's amazing, but it needs a big amp to sound perfect.

I also had an Ibanez SR 305 and enjoyed it quite a bit, it's a shame, MF had a sale on the 505s for the same prices as 305s about a month ago, I think they are all sold out now though.
Dam, a 505 for the price of a 305? Wish I didn't miss that...:/
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp