Page 1 of 4
Howdy! Welcome to my first build thread.

I'm gonna be documenting this build with lots of pictures hopefully, so keep checking back! Progress may be slow, however.

I just finished making the routing templates yesterday for the neck and body I used full size paper plans I bought here to draw the shapes onto MDF, then jig-sawed them out and sanded them down.

I still have some more templates to make for the extra Floyd routes, the control cavity route. I'm probably gonna leave the neck pocket until later.

Here are the templates

Hard to see from the picture, but I think the pick-up template is a bit messy. Not that it really matters, but I may do it again.

Specs (may be revised/updated later): [EDITED]

2 pc Mahogany body
Maple neck
Ebony fingerboard
Kahler Hybrid Bridge (Originally an OFR...)
Neck-through
25.5" scale length
24 frets
Solid White finish w/ Black bevels and some other black bits

All comments and suggestions welcome - just don't be too harsh, I'm bound to make mistakes
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Mar 28, 2008,
Just a couple a things,

First, the lower horn looks a touch too big, it might just be the angle of the pic.

Second, dont rout the P-up and Trem cavitys until you've got the neck pocket done and the neck bolted on. If the neck doesnt line up exactly then the pickup cavity wont sit square to and level to the strings. Plus the bridge placement might not match up with the scale length of the neck.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Just a couple a things,

First, the lower horn looks a touch too big, it might just be the angle of the pic.

I imagine just the angle of the pic, it's pretty exact to the plans I have, at least not enough out to see from that picture

Second, dont rout the P-up and Trem cavitys until you've got the neck pocket done and the neck bolted on. If the neck doesnt line up exactly then the pickup cavity wont sit square to and level to the strings. Plus the bridge placement might not match up with the scale length of the neck.

Hmm, you raise a good point, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to make sure I get working on the neck soon then, I guess I'll be ordering that stuff along with the body wood.

Surely I can route them before I've bolted on the neck, as long as I've tested it's fit in the pocket, that it all lines up and that the scale length is all correct?

Thanks for the comment

Quote by Ghold125
emg 81 in neck? looks like you only have a bridge pick-up O.o

Edited
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
^ Yeah, I only really considered that after I bought the plans, ah well. Probably would have been a good idea.
Quote by Liberation
its not too late if you havent already bought the wood.
and thought about doing reverse headstock ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Neck thru gives u a much better guitar. Altho the right type of a bolt-on will be good still. The only thing u should do with a bolt-on is make the neck and lput a little extra on the end for a neck pickup if ur gonna do that. Otherwise, neck thru gives u a great guitar. And if u buy a pre-made NT neck, like on Stewmac.com, its even easier. Stewmac also has Floyd Rose rout templates i think. But ur in the UK, so at least look on Stewmac.com. idk if thes ship to the UK tho.
dont do reverse headstock plz

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Quote by loonyguitarist
Surely I can route them before I've bolted on the neck, as long as I've tested it's fit in the pocket, that it all lines up and that the scale length is all correct?

You could but it'd be best to bolt the neck on and then find the true center line of the body in relation to the neck. If you just offer the neck up to the body you'll have a job getting an exact center whilst trying to keep the neck still. Its not like you cant take the neck off after you got the center line.
The neck pocket on V's dont tend to support the neck in the pocket at the sides, like say a strat does, so it'll be really hard to keep it steady.
I've made this mistake before and it p++ses you off big time, It'd be a shame to put all the time and work in and then f**k up when your near the end! lol
^ Some good points, thanks for the contribution, I'll make sure I do that

How much would you recommend getting new plans, making new templates and building a neck through instead?

Quote by qotsa1998
Neck thru gives u a much better guitar. Altho the right type of a bolt-on will be good still. The only thing u should do with a bolt-on is make the neck and lput a little extra on the end for a neck pickup if ur gonna do that. Otherwise, neck thru gives u a great guitar. And if u buy a pre-made NT neck, like on Stewmac.com, its even easier. Stewmac also has Floyd Rose rout templates i think. But ur in the UK, so at least look on Stewmac.com. idk if thes ship to the UK tho.

I can make my own FR templates easily enough, no point in buying them really. I'd also like to make my own neck, all part of the buliding process and fun

As for the neck through idea, I'm taking that into account.
Quote by Liberation
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Oct 26, 2007,
why buy new plans. you said you made those templates yourself ?
just, remake the neck template but add a huge block (big enough for the guitar body)on the heel, i dont even think thats necessary,but its you build, this is just a suggestion.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Well, thanks for the suggestion

I made my templates from the plans I bought. I could probably modify them easily enough into a neck-through design though.
Quote by Liberation
So, bumpity bump, but I'm possibly ordering my wood today, so I need to decide now whether to keep things as they are or change to a neck-through design.

What does everyone think?
Quote by Liberation
OK, revised plans:
  • Neck through -
  • Plain Maple - Ebony - Plain Maple
  • Mahogany Wings
  • Possibly transparent finish

OR
  • Mahogany neck (still neck through)
  • Alder wings

I'm also considering doing a string through rather than a FR, I didn't get on with my last FR as well as I thought I would. It was cheap, and irritated me.

Any recommendations for bridges? Really I want adjustable action for each individual string.

To do list:
  • Pracise routing on grained wood
  • Design and make new templates

Thoughts?
Quote by Liberation
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by loonyguitarist
OK, revised plans:
  • Neck through -
  • Plain Maple - Ebony - Plain Maple
  • Mahogany Wings
  • Possibly transparent finish

i'd say go with that.
and stringthrough also, but thats just what i'd do. where are you ordering your wood ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
nope, i need some myself, thats why i asked.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^^ Ah, ok. I just have a few links from the sticky at the top of the forum. I'm reading through your build thread now, by the way

^ Yeah, I imagine they would be. Thing is, I don't think there are any around me, I'll ask my dad though.
Quote by Liberation
Quote by loonyguitarist
I'm reading through your build thread now, by the way

wow cool,
im going to give craft supplies a call on monday to see what neck blanks they have etc.
ill let you know how what they have and stuff.

ive dealt with them before though( from the internet)
and they're great to deal with, really fast delivery too.

so if you want me to ask about anything in particular just let me know .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by loonyguitarist

I'm gonna be documenting this build with lots of pictures hopefully, so keep checking back! Progress may be slow, however.

I just finished making the routing templates yesterday for the neck and body I used full size paper plans I bought here to draw the shapes onto MDF, then jig-sawed them out and sanded them down.

I still have some more templates to make for the extra Floyd routes, the control cavity route. I'm probably gonna leave the neck pocket until later.

Here are the templates

Hey can you give me all of its dimensions because im planing to build one too
^ Hmm, I'll see what I can do... what dimensions specifically are you after? If I do I imagine it'll be a kind of simplified version with measurements from the centre line, as measuring the exact dimensions of the wings could prove difficult, due to the curves.
Quote by Liberation
Quote by blood venom!
Hey can you give me all of its dimensions because im planing to build one too

you can get free blueprints of guitarbuild.com . Just open them up in any CAD program to get accurate measurements
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by loonyguitarist
Thanks

Have you had a look through here: http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/pdf/craft-supplies_soundwood_catalogue.pdf ?

It's their instrument wood catalogue. I may order from here, but I'm unsure how to

EDIT: Ah, there's an order phone number. I see.

i emailed them about the catalogue and becuase they moved they dont have nearly as much stuff as what its says on the catalogue and said to phone to ask what they have, but i posted a thread asking if anyone had dealt with them and i think it was JScustoms went and said they had a load.

but like i said im phoning tomorow, if you'd like me to ask about certain woods and neck blanks just let me know.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Ah, I see. Well thank you very much

If I'm buying my neck pieces from there, according to the catalogue they don't do Ebony, but could you see if they still have Plain Maple laminates? And if they would consider doing a thin Ebony laminate for me? As for bodies, could you ask about their Alder and Mahogany stock?

As I said, thanks, I don't like phones

If I can't have Ebony between my Maple neck laminates, what do people suggest I have instead?

If I can't do that I may just do my Mahogany neck and Alder wings idea.
Quote by Liberation
yeah sure not a problem
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
right so ive just phoned and i forgot to ask about your laminates sorry,
but maple neck blanks are £6
mahogany blanks are £12

and they said they dont stock alder ?
and mahogany body blanks are £65
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
damn........those prices r too high......
in my country u can get these woods for about $1
Quote by loonyguitarist

can u PM me those plans
^ Sorry, I bought them on paper, and they're too huge to photocopy or anything. Those woods for $1? Crazy.

^^^ No problem, thanks for the other stuff though. I guess I'll ask them about the laminates, and if they don't have Ebony I'll just get an extra long piece of Plain Maple with Mahogany wings.
Quote by Liberation
i got a bass blank its 4"x 2"x 36". i think it was about £7 plus £5 delivery (or free delivery over £25)

i thought that was great ,and they were really nice over the phone.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Im going to carft supplies in the next few weeks to get a load of stuff so I'll put a rough stock update in a new thread for everyone.

I'll take a load of pics and put em on here too
^ pictures are awsome, that'd be so good.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Sounds excellent
Quote by Liberation
OK, so I've started the new templates for the neck-through design. Here's the body wings:

The neck I shall hopefully be doing this Sunday, if my dad gets me the MDF.

Also, I've decided I will do a FR, but with a Tremol-no. Best of both worlds.
Quote by Liberation
Page 1 of 4