I have heard that alot of metal bands put tubescreamers or overdrives in front of their amps, the part i dont get is that they already have super high gain amps. what benefit does this give? i will be getting a peavey 6505 soon and i was wondering if i should get a od808 or tubescreamer along withit so i can get that new age metal/metalcore sound. bands like chimaira use 6505s and i love their tone, but do you think its acheivable without the pedal?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Lots of bands like that don't use the TS for extra gain; it actually tightens up the tone a bit. The actual effect is very difficult to describe but it is noticeable however you will be able to get that sort of metal tone perfectly well without a TS.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well one good example is Zakk Wylde. he uses Marshall amps. they sound GREAT but sometimes they just dont give enough UMPH, so he uses a weak overdrive stom box and together the sound is brutal
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Sometimes the sound doesnt have enuff bass or mids maybe, so they use it more as a frequency booster rather than a gain boost. Altho some use em for solos, leads, or just to stand out some.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
well one good example is Zakk Wylde. he uses Marshall amps. they sound GREAT but sometimes they just dont give enough UMPH, so he uses a weak overdrive stom box and together the sound is brutal

That's not the same thing at all. Zakk uses an OD to boost his amps because he uses Marshall amps which aren't all that high gain in the grand scheme of things, however bands like In Flames and that sort of thing use ODs even though they use 5150s which is THE high gain amp of choice but they use them because they add a certain tightness to the tone that the amp on its own just can't get.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
so do you think i should get one or not? and if so, whats the best choice, preferably around $100
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
get one eventually, but you don't really need it, it's more like the icing on the cake than the majority of the tone, get all the other effects you want first.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.