can you tell me what is a better pickup combo
i am thining about
81/85
81/89(the 89 is like an 85 with coil tap)
but people are telling me that the emg 60 is a good neck pickup
whats the difference between the 85(89) and the 60 and what can the 60 do that the 85 cant
Quote by EEF13
can you tell me what is a better pickup combo
i am thining about
81/85
81/89(the 89 is like an 85 with coil tap)
but people are telling me that the emg 60 is a good neck pickup
whats the difference between the 85(89) and the 60 and what can the 60 do that the 85 cant

60's good for cleans i've heard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
*ahem*blackouts*ahem*
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
81/60 would probably be the best versatile coice, as the 81 can still give u heavy sounds. If u want actives, look at Duncan LiveWires and Blackouts. Those are great pickups as well, and i think cheaper than EMGs.
Ooh, I too would like some clarification on Blackouts vs EMGs!

I recently tried out a guitar with 81/60 in it, loved it to bits, and am wanting a set for my S520EX, but if the Blackouts are better (if the SD website is to be believed) I might opt for them instead.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
I generally refer to actives as "tone killers," although it's a pretty easy way to get a fairly satisfactory tone...

Still, if you have a guitar with some meat, I'd just go with some quality Seymours. I slapped some SD's in my Dime sig and haven't regretted it once. Beautiful tone.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

The most versatile EMG combo you can g et is 60 neck, 85 bridge. The 85 in the bridge is nice and warm, and gets really good rock tones out of it. The 60 makes for nice cleans and smooth, almost bluesy tones. People who say EMGs suck have never tried an 85 in the bridge. Unlike the 81, it doesn't sound sterile and cold, and has some depth to it tonally as well.
The EMG 60 is like a single coil in a humbucking "house" so to speak. It's very transparent for cleans and I love it for lead tones. The 85 is more powerful and is not ideal for cleans, higher output than a 60, you'd have to roll off your guitar volume at cleans to tidy things up using a 85 in the neck. The 89 will give you that bit of versatility with the coil tap to mimic an EMG SA singlecoil, then if you need powerful lead work etc. you can switch back and get the power needed from the 85.

Personally I don't fancy the 85 in the bridge, a bit too bass heavy for my liking. The way i see it is, if you play heavy, the 81 is ideal cos it's purpose is high output and it cuts through the mix with and balancies the frequencies out well expected for heavy rhythm. The 85 is slighly more bass heavy. The bridge pickup isn't the best position to play cleans either, so people who moan about are right to a certain extent. If you want nice cleans use a mix of the bridge/neck or neck to get a balance of bass and treble.

It all depends on what type of music you play. If like me you play mostly heavy stuff but your songs have clean melodic verses, breakdowns, then the 60/81 is hard to beat (i use it in a PRS SE Singlecut and love it) BUT I am also intrigued about the 89 in the neck as you have the power of the 85 with the versatility of splitting it to an SA.

Look at the top guys, they all use 81 in the bridge, it's tried and tested quality. Hetfield, Hamnett, Mick Thomson, Jim Root, Zakk Wylde etc. and a million others. For heavy rhythm playing its the industry standard for its power and responsive dynamics.

81/81 - balls to the wall power, great for lead work and rhythm
85/81 - high output power for great rhythm and lead work (85 has more bass response)
60/81 - versatility and power as you'll get better cleans

there will be ppl who disagree but this is how I find them to work.
which one is a better combo
81/89
60/89
81'60

is the 60 good for leads in the neck?
i was an avid EMG user the 81/60 is the best combo imo nice rhtyhm good cleans, nice leads.

I was an EMG user, i have since used the Blackouts and they **** all over the EMGs imo. Way better

there is an EMG vs Blackout thread on the front page somewhere, were i explained the differences of the two go check it out
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join