Hey guys

Looking for an amp. A tube amp which would be my first tube amp. My absolute limit is £400. Buying an OD pedal would be okay but it must fit in with my £400 budget.I play:

Blues(freddie king,bb king,SRV,john lee hooker, muddy waters, otis rush)

Also i big fan of slide guitar especially elmore james

Southern Rock (allman brothers, blackfoot, lynyrd skynyrd, mountain,wet willie, marshall tucker)

Rock/Blues rock ( cream,jimi hendrix,beatles,black sabbath,zz top, led zeppelin, ACDC)

I woul like the amp to do all those and do them reasonably well. It will be used to play live and home practise. I would like a few suggestions so I can try out, also suggestions for an OD pedal.

Also for a wah the vox v847 would suit my styles very well right? i hear it can't handle too much gain but i thought most thigns i play dont use too much gain.

thanks for any help
Laney Vc30 Ftw!!!!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
If you can find one in europe, get a peavey classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ i was going to say that but laneys are much cheaper over there. so thats why i suggested that, and maybe a clean boost for solos

EDIT: For ODs check out some clean boosts as well

BBE Boosta Grande
MXR micro amp
Fulltone OCD
Maxon OD808
BYOC TS clone
Digitech Bad Monkey (if on a budget)

For wahs check out:

of course that vox
Teese picture wah
buddahs
and others check the ultimate wah thread

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Last edited by ssguitar at Oct 25, 2007,
right i had the peavey and laney in mind its just that the classic is like £80 more expensive, is it better built/better sound?
^ well they sound different. the VC30 is like the Vox AC30 (close but not perfect). the classic 30 is amazing too. can you go and try them side by side, decide for yourself if the classic is worth the more money. but keep in mind that peaveys are high over there anyway, like laneys are here. VC30 here is like 800-900 and a classic is like 600-700 on musicians friend. so just keep that in mind

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Yeah, I guess get a laney if they're available cheaper there.
But if you can play it, the peavey classic is worth looking at.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
And check a Peavey Valveking. The tone is not quite as mid rangey as the Classic. I play blues/classic rock/slide and mine sounds great. The Classic is put together better but the VK is cheaper with extra gain on tap.
Quote by ssguitar
BBE Boosta Grande
MXR micro amp
Fulltone OCD
Maxon OD808
BYOC TS clone
Digitech Bad Monkey (if on a budget)

For wahs check out:

of course that vox
Teese picture wah
buddahs
Fulltone Deluxe Clyde
Tricked out Dunlop Original
and others check the ultimate wah thread

check out the ones in bold
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ haha +1

^^ i personally prefer the tone of the classic to the valve king. but in this thread it would go closer to this

used AC30 > VC30 > Classic 30 > V32 > Valveking.

i really didnt like the VK it was kinda fizzy and thin. i love thick sounds, thy just make me happy

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
i'd say classic 30. Vox has a distinctive tone with the flabby lowend that british voiced amps have. u'd want somewhat an american voiced with punchy accent on it. either a laney VC or a valveking with a tubescreamer, or a peavey classic 30. if u can get a hand on a Crate V32, that's ur amp, but i've heard how hard to acquire Crates in the UK.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ listen to him im leaving the thread. i need to check clothes and get a shwer.

oh btw thans Shot i got my pedal back. gotta go beg for a board now

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
ok so for the amps the vc30 and classic 30 are the bets in my price range. I'll go see if i can try them out. My nearest decent store only sells the laney but i'll look out for the classic 30. Would i need an od pedal for both of these?

So if i can find a used ac30 for £400 it would be the best? Would it have enough gain at home practise volume or would i need one of the OD pedals?

As good as the fulltone ocd and fulltone wah look they are like £150 +. So as it would be my first wah i think ill look more into the v847. However i have hear these dont cope well with alot of gain and i was wondering if the thingsi play come into the category or 'alot of gain'

And as for the od if i manage that amount of money perhaps the ocd but as for now the maxon and tubescreamer seem a little more realistic
^ yea those amps are the best bet in that price range.

if you want a example of an AC30 (gain-wise) check out some Queen and U2 (i think). Im pretty sure they both used AC30s. And if you want a experts opinion on here about the (as i havent tried one....but oh god i want too) go ask Slatsmania. He has one and swears by it.

Oh yea i forgot fulltone stuff is really expensive over there because its made in California. couldnt be farther away from ya. check out some of the other OD's that i suggested. All the amps i suggested wouldnt neeed an OD more than to tighten the sound up a bit.

The V847 is a good wah for what you need. especiall since you dont use alot of gain. it will handle up to a cranked classic30 though.

The OCD is crystal clear and barely colors your tone. The maxon/tubescreamer has kind of a mid hump (think SRV)

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
no problem let us know with wat you went ith

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!