Poll: Which?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which?
V8
8 53%
in line 6?
7 47%
Voters: 15.
ok i drive a datsun 240z and its been pissen me off majorly. its a 1972 and its still got the origional engine in it. its an in line six. its quick when i can get it to run right but lately its had one problem after another and every weekend i gotta spend fixin it. so yah i like the fact that the car is all origional but ive been thinkin i wanna drop a v8 in it. prob a 350. id have more power and a newer engine would be more reliable too. is it worth the time and the cost?
Attachments:
00d77df4ada1.jpg
My gear
ESP Ltd series H 400
fernandes ravelle elite (honey burst finish, emg 81 in bridge.)
B-52 AT-112(all tube!)
Worth the time, but not the cost I reckon .

"Save The Cheerleader, Save The World"
- Hiro Nakamura
DANK MEMES
well i might be able to get a decent engine off a wreck for cheap.
My gear
ESP Ltd series H 400
fernandes ravelle elite (honey burst finish, emg 81 in bridge.)
B-52 AT-112(all tube!)
Just so you know, droping a 350 isnt just that easy.
You need to swap crossmembers/ weld new motor mounts, upgrade the fuel pump/lines, upgrade the cooling system to a full size radiator/ electric fan, make a custom drive shaft, hope you dont destroy the diff/half shafts (independent rear suspension, right?) make sure the tranny fits, plus maybe even modify the steering shaft.

With that being said, i knew a guy who had a 383 in his 240, and it would pick the right front wheel off the ground when he got on it! It was bad ass.
Not Enough AssHatery
Come on, you can't put a V8 in that. It wasn't meant to be. Just restore the original in line six.
We're only strays.
if i were you i'd swap in a jdm nissan engine... sr20 or some rb(26 )
<('.'< ^('.')^ (>'.')>
twin turbo the inline six thats what my friend is doing with his 72 240z
You should paint a red stripe down the middle.

Should solve some of the reliabilty issues. Will also make it a lot faster.
There's so much more to it than just "dropping in a 350". Like somebody else pointed out, changing from the original inline 6 to a chevy (probably) 350 involves a lot of work. They weren't made to go together, though kits probably are available to ease the process.

But that's only about half of it. For one thing, all the problems of an old car are NOT going to be solved by an engine swap. What about the suspension, transmission, rear end, brakes, frame, etc... Putting a more powerful engine in the car could just ruin it because all the components are old and weakened and the drivetrain may not be able to handle it.

What do you fix every weekend? Do you even know what you're doing?

My suggestion is, if you know the engine is having problems, to have the original rebuilt. However, the car probably has further issues and will not be gloriously restored with only a new/rebuilt engine.

I also drive a 1972, mine's a Dodge Coronet though.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
You should paint a red stripe down the middle.

Should solve some of the reliabilty issues. Will also make it a lot faster.

Yeah. Also try putting new floor mats in. Talk about supertuned!
^ and the Feet Gas Pedals! dude that thing will be too raw!
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.
Schneiderman is a 100% correct. Besides with you having an awesome Datsun(and it is) it is worth doing a lot of research so your upgrades complement it. A 350 in your ride just wouldn't make it feel special to me.

I'm actually taking a 350 out of a Porsche.. The last owner did an okay job on the conversion but everyone has a 350. Its time to make it stand out again.

EDIT: oops....i didn't mean a 350 in my car, i meant chevy.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Oct 25, 2007,
Well, if you're looking for fuel milage, I'm sure the 6 will help you there, but if gas money is no option, I would put an 8 in it.

A 350 would be cool, but it might be overkill. Maybe a 289? 302? Maybe a 327 or something like that?

I don't know why, but for some reason, I just feel like a 350 might be a little too much power in that little thing.

But, who knows? It may work out.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
wow im surprised at seeing (mostly) logical responses about cars on here :p

Schneiderman and MySweetFracture are right, its not just "droppin" one in
a 350 probly would not even fit into that car

its a classic now, keep it all original

and if your bent on doin a motor swap, at least go from jap to jap motor, not jap to american.. that has way to many things that cna go wrong, minus all the conversions

...very bad idea

keep it original man
fix it

EDIT: scratch out the probly, a 350 defintely would not fit into that.. it would be way to wide and tall.. no doubt
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Yea, I never thought about that.

A Jap- Us swap could lead to loads mroe work and money than you want.

Hell, if I was bent on changing the engine, I would put in a four cylinder with some turbos.

Or just put some turbos on the existing 6.

You would be surprised what simple mods can do to an engine. There are V6s, hell even I-4s, that can blow away V8s these days.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
it would be worth it for your purposes
but keep in mind that if you put a v-8 in it it would ruin the car value
On this last beat,

my heart will freeze.

we'll end in harmony.

Quote by Thornography
I usually get lost after 3 words... maybe it happens to others.
Quote by nomad911
ok i drive a datsun 240z and its been pissen me off majorly. its a 1972 and its still got the origional engine in it. its an in line six. its quick when i can get it to run right but lately its had one problem after another and every weekend i gotta spend fixin it. so yah i like the fact that the car is all origional but ive been thinkin i wanna drop a v8 in it. prob a 350. id have more power and a newer engine would be more reliable too. is it worth the time and the cost?

Line 6?! TRASH THAT MOTHERFUGGA.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Line 6?! TRASH THAT MOTHERFUGGA.
lol, who let you out GG&A....?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX