Now most people would be expecting me to ask what Head to get...but that isn't my question I am relativley new to this whole guitar playing thing and was looking into getting a new amp. Would a Head act as an amp or do you need to get a cab to attach to it? If not what does a head actually do?

Thanks!

Ryan
You HAVE to have the head AND the cab. The head is all the electronics part and the cab is just speakers.
the head is basically everything but the speakers. it let's you play with the tone/volume/ all that. You'll need a cabinet to make noise. The cab is basically a box with speakers. together, you have music =)
its essentially a big amp without the speaker part. youd have to hook it up to speakers then in order to get sound, a cab is best. i like heads cus you can match them up with different cabs to get different sounds, and if your rehearsal space has three heads stacked on each other on top of a cab (only one head plugged in at a time though) then thats pretty badass in my oppinion. but, they cost a lot more, and not many people can handle sucj high volumes especially well
The head is simply the amp, the cab the speakers, you need one to work the other.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
im not sure but i think if you play into a head with no speakers something blows up................ i dont know thats just what i heard, i would never think about buying one without the other
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
whatever you do - don't turn a head on without a cab!!!

and yeah the advantages of having a head + a cab over a combo are fromt he top of my head:

easier to carry
you can have a 4x12 cab and the biggest combos are 2x12
stacks just generally look teh br00t4lz
you can have different combinations of cabs and heads to get different sounds
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by samtewari
whatever you do - don't turn a head on without a cab!!!

and yeah the advantages of having a head + a cab over a combo are fromt he top of my head:

easier to carry

you can have a 4x12 cab and the biggest combos are 2x12
stacks just generally look teh br00t4lz

you can have different combinations of cabs and heads to get different sounds

i hate people that say stuff like they know their **** but not having the knowledge.

they're not easier to carry. u need to carry the cab too.
combos can have 4x12s like mentioned above.
stacks don't look teh br00t4lz at all. some combos look kick ass than many stacks. and u can stack up a combo on top of a matching cab too.

and i believe (not sure though) u can turn on a solid state head without a cab and not blow it. tubes u cannot.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i hate people that say stuff like they know their **** but not having the knowledge.

stacks don't look teh br00t4lz at all. some combos look kick ass than many stacks. and u can stack up a combo on top of a matching cab too.

and i believe (not sure though) u can turn on a solid state head without a cab and not blow it. tubes u cannot.

Well, a head and 2x12 cab would be easier to carry than a 2x12 combo though. splits up the weight somewhat.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by ECistheBest

A head and a 2x12 is much easier to carry than a 70+lb tube combo though

I dunno how many times I've accidentally cut on my heads without realizing I didn't have the cabs connected and wondered why I didn't have sound...

I remeber back when I started playing guitar, looking through MF magazine thinking why would someone buy a head. It costs more than a combo and doesn't even come with speakers...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
so you could hook a combo up to a cabinet for extra volume?
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.