hey

ive been playing bass a grand total of 3 days and can play the intro to higher ground 80% perfect

i was told this was a hard song

im confused

was i lied to :O

also what are some good slap bass lines?
thanks

me
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

Just attack 'em with some pliers dude.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
videoz or it neva happennedz

+1

it's not the hardest bass song in the world but it certainly isn't a beginner song, your problem not playing it right.

or you have a musical background
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
But can you play the song well? I thought I had that line down when I started to play and it wasn't as good as I thought.
my bad

ive been drumming for 4 years n geetaring for about 1 and a half

should have said

and no its not perfect at 100 % speed but its dam near

and i cn video it as i dont have an amp yet so it would sound **** and its now midnight and i cant be arsed

also any advice for my second question?
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
well, really you should be getting the basics of bass playing down.

Experience playing guitar and drums has absolutely no bearing on bass playing.

Sorry mate, I've seen a fair number of your comments and you seem a respectable, knowledgable guy, but that one comment is utter rubbish.
Drums + bass = rhythm section. Having played drums for years will definitely help your rhythm in bass and certainly your general musical knowledge.

Guitar + bass = the exact same method of playing, save for a few technical differences that some people employ (pick, no pick, slapping) but still none of these are reserved to either instument. Playing guitar before bass will definitely aid your bass playing and vice versa. No, it's true an expert guitarist won't necessarily be an expert bassist, but he'll certainly be better than novice. That's all fact, you could carry out an investigation 100 times and it would come back saying that bassists who have had past experience on guitar or drums will have a speedier learning curve.

Either you're grossly overexaggerating to get your point across or, well you're not stupid so I guess that's all it can be.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by mattyp90
Sorry mate, I've seen a fair number of your comments and you seem a respectable, knowledgable guy, but that one comment is utter rubbish.
Drums + bass = rhythm section. Having played drums for years will definitely help your rhythm in bass and certainly your general musical knowledge.

Guitar + bass = the exact same method of playing, save for a few technical differences that some people employ (pick, no pick, slapping) but still none of these are reserved to either instument. Playing guitar before bass will definitely aid your bass playing and vice versa. No, it's true an expert guitarist won't necessarily be an expert bassist, but he'll certainly be better than novice. That's all fact, you could carry out an investigation 100 times and it would come back saying that bassists who have had past experience on guitar or drums will have a speedier learning curve.

Either you're grossly overexaggerating to get your point across or, well you're not stupid so I guess that's all it can be.

It is a gross overexaggeration. There's too many "musicians" who feel that, because they've played guitar etc, they can play bass like that *insert snapping fingers here*.

It's just not the case. Sure, there's some cross over with techniques with guitar, and yes, the mindset of a drummer is similar to that of a bassist. However, you do need to step out and look at it.

In comparison to a guitar, the bass is much more a strength instrument. As I said, there is some crossover, but the application of techniques vary a lot.

In comparison to drums, you aren't just laying down the rhythm, you are connecting it to everything else that's going on.
i no i need to get basics sorted......but in 3 days that wasnt going to happen and felt the need to justify the 250 i just spent with some sort of identifyable riff and happened to pick higher ground

any idas as to how to get said basics down
?

and what would you class the basics as on a bas? fingerpicking,pick playing,slappiing popping tapping.............anything else i should include on the mother of all to do lists i am currently writing lol?
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It is a gross overexaggeration. There's too many "musicians" who feel that, because they've played guitar etc, they can play bass like that *insert snapping fingers here*.

It's just not the case. Sure, there's some cross over with techniques with guitar, and yes, the mindset of a drummer is similar to that of a bassist. However, you do need to step out and look at it.

In comparison to a guitar, the bass is much more a strength instrument. As I said, there is some crossover, but the application of techniques vary a lot.

In comparison to drums, you aren't just laying down the rhythm, you are connecting it to everything else that's going on.

Couldn't you have just said that to start with?

I completely agree.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by mattyp90
Couldn't you have just said that to start with?

I completely agree.

If I had said it to start with, then we wouldn't have awesome drama in the thread

TS, there's plenty of threads about that explain how to construct a bassline, how to improve your fingerpicking, your fretting, and other gems of info.
and having read some other thread somewhere

i am now eagerly awaiting your FAQ

also sorry if i came off as an "omgzorz luk at my skilzorz" sounding ass hat i was genuinely curious as to the dificulty of the song

im lucky some techniques come easy to me

can be aukwar as **** trying to explain to some1 that you can double handed tap but still have yet to master power chords though lol

thank you

and good night
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Don't practice to much on finger picking. That's unnessecary.
Just learn tapping and artifical harmonics.
Quote by Puma89

Totally untrue. Fingerpicking can come in very handy. It adds a very melodic quality to a line. Personally I need to work on that big time.
Quote by Puma89

I keep on looking at this post, I am still kind of...well...stunned by this premise. Its like asking someone to run before they can walk. I can bet if you talked to any decent professional bass player and asked them if they learned to tap before they learned to finger pick competently, they would not state they considered finger picking an unnecessary skill in bass playing, nor that they had learned the one before the other.
Quote by Puma89

If you don't learn fingerpicking then you look like a complete tool slapping and tapping to songs that they completely don't fit into. I know this because that was me one year ago
Quote by Puma89

I'm really, really hoping that this is an attempt at sarcasm. Because otherwise .
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Okay, I need clarification, did he mean finger plucking (as in what %99 of bassists do) or finger picking (Stairway to Heaven)?

sorry jazzy, we are all a bunch of n00b's for saying picking not plucking
Quote by xXx-e-s-p-xXx

and what would you class the basics as on a bas? fingerpicking,pick playing,slappiing popping tapping.............anything else i should include on the mother of all to do lists i am currently writing lol?

slapping is a basic skill? damn, i still dont know it. true i dont play primarily slap genres (metal ) but still...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Flea_Is_God
sorry jazzy, we are all a bunch of n00b's for saying picking not plucking

Not you guys, I want to know from the guy who said it. Because one way he is mildly retarded the other way he is an amoeba.
ive been reading this thread for about 10 mins now and im still to make little sense of it..... i swear someone said u should learn tapping before u learn to play with your fingers???
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Not you guys, I want to know from the guy who said it. Because one way he is mildly retarded the other way he is an amoeba.

But you're 100% right, though. Fingerpicking is, like you said, Stairway to Heaven, I'm One, etc. Using your fingers and thumb as well. Plucking is what 'most bassists do'. If you don't like the name 'plucking', you can substitute 'fingerstyle' for it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fingerstlye or using a pick well are the first things you should do. I've been playing for nearly 2 years and really can onlt slao a little.

Remember, the showy skills are not always the most important.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by The Evil Hat
slapping is a basic skill? damn, i still dont know it. true i dont play primarily slap genres (metal ) but still...

You can still slap in metal if you really want to...like Fieldy...But nobody likes Fieldy.

But you really should learn it sometime.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by xXx-e-s-p-xXx
i no i need to get basics sorted......but in 3 days that wasnt going to happen and felt the need to justify the 250 i just spent with some sort of identifyable riff and happened to pick higher ground

any idas as to how to get said basics down
?

go to the lessons section, learn chords and how to make a bassline and watch a how to slap n pop on youtube and use a lesson on UG bout slappin n da poppinz
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by Deliriumbassist
well, really you should be getting the basics of bass playing down.

Experience playing guitar and drums has absolutely no bearing on bass playing.

I agree with the guitaring, not with the drumming. Drums and Bass are closely related. While there isn't a direct link, there is just a certain feel you sort of get, the instruments are like 2 peas in a pod.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Ryan Martinie is a lot better at slapping than Flea, and Ryan plays mettulz

And Fuzz (ex-Disturbed)

I didn't say Flea, I said Fieldy...But I didn't think of Ryan at the time...how silly of me
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Captain Insano
I agree with the guitaring, not with the drumming. Drums and Bass are closely related. While there isn't a direct link, there is just a certain feel you sort of get, the instruments are like 2 peas in a pod.

Agreed.

I know quite a few drummers who can pick up a bass and get a really competent groove going with very little effort. Granted, it may be just on two notes, but it sounds good.
Quote by Captain Insano

You didn't read my next post, did you?
my gos what have i started lol

i check back today and my thread has turned into some sort of we use slap...we dont want to use slap turf war lol
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I've been a guitarist for three years and I've just started playing bass about three weeks ago. Its true that the application of techniques varies but the bass is still very easy to learn if you played guitar before. After three weeks I can hold my own in a jam session and I can certainly play at a similar level (if not better) than some of of my friends who are bassists that have been playing for years. So its true that they're different instruments and I don't think guitarists should get cocky but they most certainly are similar and they do employ many of the same techniques. Therefore guitarists can acquire skill at bass very quickly.
Quote by dwnbowden
I've been a guitarist for three years and I've just started playing bass about three weeks ago. Its true that the application of techniques varies but the bass is still very easy to learn if you played guitar before. After three weeks I can hold my own in a jam session and I can certainly play at a similar level (if not better) than some of of my friends who are bassists that have been playing for years. So its true that they're different instruments and I don't think guitarists should get cocky but they most certainly are similar and they do employ many of the same techniques. Therefore guitarists can acquire skill at bass very quickly.

In the same way that playing tennis helps badminton. They share a few skills, so of course you will have a head start, but it still take a long time to be a decent bassist. Remeber that what sound good on guitar is not always so on bass. Even if you can 'shred0rz' on guitar and bass, learning what sound best on each is what takes time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1