well i'm ready to get my first tube amp, I will be playing gigs soon so it's needs to be powerful enough for small gigs. I was thinking about a 30 watt palomino does anyone have any experience with these? I play heavy blues and rock, my amp will need good OD and cleans.
I suggest get a soild state for starter gigs
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
I'd probably go for a Peavey Valveking, it has nice cleans and should have enough gain for you. Is only $430 for the combo if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Palominos as a whole are great classic rock amps even without an OD pedal. And with the right settings and maybe a little Tubescreamer and u should be set blues-wise.
Quote by SOAD_freak777
well i'm ready to get my first tube amp, I will be playing gigs soon so it's needs to be powerful enough for small gigs. I was thinking about a 30 watt palomino does anyone have any experience with these? I play heavy blues and rock, my amp will need good OD and cleans.

perfect amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
lol.... my friend got an AMAZING peavey HS called the penta on sale at guitarcenter for only 900 bucks. pretty good seems the head is normally 1300 and the cab is 700. oh.... what tasty tones he gets out of it....
+1000 to the classic 30. try out a V32, they are voices similar, but the V32 is cheaper
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Well.. you can steal one for free :P But otherwise if you arent going with solidstate.. maybe like a used ValveKing ?
Dude, im in ur exact position, just starting to do small gigs and want a my first tube amp thay will rip. after posting a thread here a while ago and doing a bit of shopping around i decided on a VOX Valvetronix AD50VT. its not full tube but still sounds like it, my store just got it in and i was a able to play it, now i just have to pay it off lol but yeah it is the best amp ive found for what i was looking for, u could easily get the AD50VT for your price, assuming ur american. plus its great for what u want to play, it has a great range of sounds and effects to. check out http://www.valvetronix.net/ to hear samples and see if it is for u, i thinks it perfect.
+1 for the Classic 30. You could get one used under $500 very easily. Great cleans and a superb od
OD similar to a boosted fender tweedish amps.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ok i have the ad50vt i guese you could gig with it, it sounds all right enough and is very versatile
but then again a peavey classic30 would be good with a pedal but the thing is, is that your very limited with that amp sound wise
its up to you really get the ad50vt and youll have a bunch of versatility diff sounds for diffrent sht you wanna play that sounds allright/decent
or get a kickass amp that sounds ****ing awesome but is limited then get the peavey classic
an amp with a nice sound will make you love the sound. thats called tube magic.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
and i wouldnt get the peavey for sht or a valveking for that matter i dont know what it is about them they just sound like there missing something when i played them and plus the sound clips sound like 80ish metal or something along those lines it just reminds me of chese in that way because the 80s were very chessy
I would get a traynor amp instead of the valveking like a old mark 3 they are pretty cheap on ebay or get the YCV40 with a pedal that would kick the classics ass
stop hatin' bro. ur missin' out!

and i love 80s rock. Journey, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Van Halen, GNR. i love the 80s. just not the disco or michael jackson.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Palomino's and Valvekings aren't bad, but they're made in Vietnam/China. I thought the Palomino's I played had numb controls and limited OD. Look for a used Fender HRD or a used Crate Vintage Club.
or if you manged to srape up 600 you could get a B-52 those are good cheap high gain amps and they sound the sht
Palamino or used Traynor YCV40 or YCV50.
-"Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst Fender Tele. DD HB102(n)
-"Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
-"Joy" Vintage 1100N Acoustic
-"Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
Traynor YCS50 1x12 (V30 Speaker)
Mark Bass Little Mk II
1x15 bass cab
ok sorry then its not hi-gain but its sound pretty good on the the gain channel it has and it could be played either class A, AB, or go solid state if something goes wrong with the tubes
that shouldnt' be a reason to go with an amp. the sound that you get is all you should be looking for in an amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I just picked up a used Peavey Classic 50 2x12 for $380.

If I can do it, you can too!

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^where's the 4x10 one? that might still be a deal for him?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Peavey classic rocks.
I have the 410 version, I bought it upgraded (it had jj tubes) for 500 bucks.
Awesome cleans, great OD, excellent reverb, decent stock speakers, etc.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^JJ EL84s are my favorite EL84s. its chimey, and no bad squeals.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
On B52 the A and A/B refers to the rectifier settings, not to class A or A/B. Your thinking of a Valveking. I have owned both. They are moderate-gain, not high gain. I like the Palominos for blues/classic rock, also naturally the Valveking for same. I would bet money that 90% of players who say they don't like the Valveking haven't spent enough time with it. Peavey Classic 30 is a great sounding classic rock amp, but I like the distortion on the VK better, its slightly higher gain, although it is still considered moderate. I tend to like my classic rock with a little more modern interpretation, so I am not a purist.
None of the amps I discussed are going to be outstanding at metal, with a pedal they can almost get there. They are not designed for it.
Bottom line: If you hold an amp to the standard that it must do everything well you won't find many amps other than boutique, and I have heard complaints about them too.
This is my Valveking rant for the month. Enjoy.
Quote by ECistheBest
^where's the 4x10 one? that might still be a deal for him?

He'd have to pick it up from Joliet, IL.

The guy isn't shipping it (hence the tiny price ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
just bought a peavey classic 30 head + 2x12 cab the other day only played it on low volume in the store retail bout $2000 aussie $'s paid $900 so i just grabbed it absolutely LOVE IT to those who said the sounds r limited obviously havnt spent much time playing it beautiful cleans amp breaks up bout 5-6 on volume knob, overdrive is good depends on the guitar/pickups you r using i use ibanez artcore custom with standard pickups great blues/jazz/etc, etc also use ESP KH-2 with emg active pickups really seems to drive the amp alot harder can get a very close to metal sound think older slayer (seasons in the abyss)
Bottom line amp is great, very versatile depends the rest of your setup also for big gigs may lack headroom for clean channel (amp is loud but gets that beautiful natural overdrive early)
Also why not get the bugera 333 combo 100 watts 3 channel sounds great for its money remember its about 1/10th the price of a mesa
Last edited by korkey25 at Oct 28, 2008,
The problem is the TS never came back to thank or acknowledge any of these great suggestions - so I'm not even going to bother.

If s/he does come back then maybe he can define 'rock' a bit further as i didn't get the impression he wanted to do metal.