My friends don't seem to understand tube amps. They always make make mistakes with mine.

Anyways, today, I was jamming with a friend, and he switch the On/Off switch to off, before letting it cool down, and the On/Standby switch was still set to on. I gave him the look that obviously meant he did something wrong, and he switched it back to On. I let it cool down, and turned it off the proper way after wards. Will this affect it in anyway?
not really, except it kinda sucks the life out of ur tubes. improper maintenance (in this case, turning on/off techinques) means shorter lifespan on ur tubes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yeah it wont hurt it this one time. but if you did that like every time it would hurt it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I've never heard of this hurting tubes before....

My father is an old amplifier techie and he has never informed me of this.

And my operations manual says nothing about letting the tubes cool before you shut it off.

What kind of damage are we talking about here?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
aybe you should just show them how to use your amp? be patronizing about it.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
are we talking turning it on? or shutting it off?

i just shut it off... i don't think putting it standby would cool it off anyways.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
standby would keep it toasty. i say you unplug your amp then tell your friend to grab hold of a tube
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Anyways, today, I was jamming with a friend, and he switch the On/Off switch to off, before letting it cool down, and the On/Standby switch was still set to on.
Actually this is something I often do, since it helps discharge the capacitors inside the amp - i.e. the bits that gve you a nasty shock if you open up the amp to do work on it! Certainly it won't have any effect on the lifespan of the tubes, so don't worry too much....
It used to be my dad's amp, and he said you had to leave it on stand by to cool it down before turning it off, so I was kinda worried. Guess it'll be fine, then.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
It used to be my dad's amp, and he said you had to leave it on stand by to cool it down before turning it off, so I was kinda worried. Guess it'll be fine, then.

Yeah I've never heard of that before. I've turned on and off my tube amp for a year without doing standby first and my tone hasn't degenerated or anything.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison