Marshall Valvestate 8080. I don't know much about it but i saw an ad that said for sale $175. Is this amp better then Marshall Mg's or worse? i need some opinions. Will it be good for my style? i play classic rock and some blues. I also use a fender strat just in case your wondering.
valve-state.

valve + solid state.

similar to modern AVTs.

= not too great.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Judging from the name of the amp it sounds like a hybrid. Which means instead of having all tubes, it has normally a single tube in the pre amp. Normally hybrids aren't that good, so most people say.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Quote by qotsa1998
just about I---I <- that much better than an MG. Very similar to an AVT.

oh. could a tube replacement help just alittle?
Quote by Scarface735
oh. could a tube replacement help just alittle?

no

Get a real amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
mediocre. they're a bit too warm to my taste. dont like the gain channel either.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Peavey Classics is better than the hot rods.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i thought peavey's were solid state. Are they really good for a classic rock / blues tones? i want something similar to eric clapton's tone from the 70's like layla and such.
not all peaveys are solid state. actually, clapton's tone from layla will be great with a peavey classic 30. maybe a fender blues jr, and some crate palomino V16.

i like live layla tones myself though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Guys, they're good amps. Its an older AVT and sounds pretty good. Nice and crunchy, with a fairly fullsound. you can crank them pretty high as well. I bet none of you have ever played one. I looked at one a long while ago for $375. $175 is a pretty good price. If you don't like it you can always flip it
Quote by hamish5178
Get a real amp.

wanker.

like the last guy said i reckon none of you have played that amp, so you dont know what its like. just cos it doesnt have tubes, that doesnt make the amp junk.

To clarify I havent played that amp either but it could be brilliant for all you naysayers know. stop going by what others have said!!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
wanker.

like the last guy said i reckon none of you have played that amp, so you dont know what its like. just cos it doesnt have tubes, that doesnt make the amp junk.

To clarify I havent played that amp either but it could be brilliant for all you naysayers know. stop going by what others have said!!

there's a used one at my local guitar center. i went to check it out, and it was next to a used JMP. what do u think happened???

i plugged into the JMP first, and then plugged it into the valvestate, i left after a minute.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The peavey classic 30/50's are all tube.
If you like clapton's older tones, it'd be good for you.
I have yet to find a blues/rock tone that it can't do.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^peavey classic 30s and 50s have a tweedish OD. thats why i like it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
there's a used one at my local guitar center. i went to check it out, and it was next to a used JMP. what do u think happened???

i plugged into the JMP first, and then plugged it into the valvestate, i left after a minute.

thats because those are two COMPLETELY different classes of amplifier.

obviously threadstarters amp isnt THE best in the world but i assume for the money he paid it could easily hold its own with other amps of that price.

thats the point i was making.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

^yea i know lol. i wasn't really fond of that particular JMP though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by buzz
thats because those are two COMPLETELY different classes of amplifier.

obviously threadstarters amp isnt THE best in the world but i assume for the money he paid it could easily hold its own with other amps of that price.

thats the point i was making.

+1. Geez, which is better, Budget amp or JMP? You tell me.
Quote by CJRocker
+1. Geez, which is better, Budget amp or JMP? You tell me.

i do NOT know man...

i should play side by side with the fender 65 DSP or sumtin next to it next time.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i do NOT know man...

i should play side by side with the fender 65 DSP or sumtin next to it next time.

Btw, I made that before I caught your last post. ITs all cool
Where in Illinois are you? Because, I bought a FM 212R, just because "It was only $200". I hated it, and returned it for a cheaper amp: Epi VJ, and like it way more and I would have saved more if I just got t3h toob3s in the first place.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
Where in Illinois are you? Because, I bought a FM 212R, just because "It was only $200". I hated it, and returned it for a cheaper amp: Epi VJ, and like it way more and I would have saved more if I just got t3h toob3s in the first place.

I live around the chicago suburbs.
I've tried the 8080 (a friend of mine HAD one). Just didn't like the tone (and I haven't even been playing that long). I've got an Epiphone Valve Standard that I think sounds a hell of a lot better than it, and new it cost me $300USD.

What's the most you're willing to spend on an amp right now?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by buzz
wanker.

Agreed

And threadstarter, yeah, Hot Rods are good for Classic Rock. Depends which one you're looking at though. A second hand Blues/Pro Jr would be good I think.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
If you were a hard rock player looking for a gigging amp on the cheap, I'd probably tell you that the Valvestate'd be ok for you. Just ok. The biggest problem with them is that they're over-priced, something that doesn't carry over once they're used.

But for your styles, a Peavey Classic 30/50, Fender Hot Rod, Traynor YCV 40/50, etc., would all suit you MUCH better.

Listen to this sage advice:

Quote by CORT noob
I bought a FM 212R, just because "It was only $200". I hated it, and returned it for a cheaper amp: Epi VJ, and like it way more and I would have saved more if I just got t3h toob3s in the first place.

A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Bite the bullet on a tube combo of at least 30W, and you'll have the last amp you'll ever need in your possession. That Valvestate? You'd probably be looking to replace it about as quickly as Cort.

Used Classic 30's and Hot Rods regularly sell for under $400. Watch your local Craig's List. In Chicago, I'm sure it's bustling.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If its the same one as my highschool music teacher has, its a good amp. The distortion sounds awesome but could use a bit more bass, and the clean is good as well, and its pretty loud.
for the music he wants to play i dont think its his amp. if you play a little harder rock (i.e. punk), its perfect. its not bad of an amp, that price is killer. it'll hold its own with a full band.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
^to be fair most amps can cover punk... punk is about the energy you put into the playing more than the tone...

but i tried one at my local music go round and i thought it decent... but if you can afford a blues deluxe/hot rod whatever yousaid... id look into that peavy or an orange tt... those are both great for blues rock in my opinion and in your budget if your going after the 600 dollar fenders
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158