I am sure to get flammed for this, but what's the difference between a Percision bass and a Jazz bass?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Pickups I guess. Jazz also feels a lot greater in my opinion.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
A precision bass has one pickup that's kinda split in half, and the strings are farther apart at the nut and first few frets.

A jazz bass has two skinny pickups, two volume knobs (which I hate with a goddamn passion) and the strigns are closer together at the first few frets than the precision bass.
So why is there a difference? What type of music does each one cater to?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Delirium is right. You pretty much make the decision of which style you like better, and which one feels better and sounds better to you. When you buy a bass, just think of which one suits you best.

-Alex
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
The Jazz is more versatile with the 2 pickups although many precision player would argue that the P is just as versatile if not more. The Precision finds itself at home more with rock/metal styles but I personally play Tharsh and use a Jazz and find it better since i go for a more growly sound. I did put Qaurter Pounders in it to get some more meat out the bridge pickup soloed. It's perfect now. Both pickups give is it as much low end as a B string.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
If you suck and want a crappy bass buy a J Bass, if you are pretty good and want something that doesn't suck, get a P Bass.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Precision basses also have wider nut widths. Believe it or not, the Precision bass' pickup is a semi-humbucker (a single coil half-double wound with itself to cancel hum).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
unless you're playing jazz, get a bass with P pickups
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by OThugSd
If you suck and want a crappy bass buy a J Bass, if you are pretty good and want something that doesn't suck, get a P Bass.

wow, just wow....
quite possibly one of the worst answers i have heard on the bass forum
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by OThugSd

Don't you belong in the pit?

to TS, don't listen to him, I actually love J-Basses and plan on getting one once I have enough money. I'd take it over a P-bass anyday.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
unless you're playing jazz, get a bass with P pickups

a jazz bass isn't just for jazz, idiot. it's just a name.
what if i built an acoustic guitar and named it the death metal?
if you don't know wat to get then get a jazz and thank me later
I'm a proud owner of
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Buzz Saw sig w/ EMG 81/85
Squire crap
Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass
ESP/LTD TA-600 Tom Araya sig bass
Vox AD30VT
Fender Bassman 100
Line6 POD X3
Boss ME-50
Quote by teh_shredmaster
if you don't know wat to get then get a jazz and thank me later

Thank Sly Taco too.
Quote by foob85

Then I'd buy it for comic value.

But They're both good and each will get the job done. Really depends on which you like more. Nothing that hasn't already been said.
Quote by tubab0y
Real bassists play with their penis.

Wait, that came out wrong...

Funny....i prefer my P-bass to my J-bass when playing jazz...but a most other things i like my J better...lol
American Jazz Basses have an amazing tone, are stupidly easy to play, super smooth, and frankly I love them. They have a smoother sounding tone. (I've only played the american series Fender, so can't comment on lower priced ones) They're also pretty versitile tone wise.

P-Basses also have amazing tone, but its more of a punch in the gut than the creamy smoothness of a Jazz. Like whats already been said it has a thicker neck that the Jazz but I still find them extremely easy to play.

And obviously thats all IMO to prevent flaming
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
A jazz bass has much more tonal versatility with it's two pickups and the ability to blend the two in infinite amounts, all the precision bass has is a tone knob, I have an American P-Bass though and love it to death, I've used it in loads of different styles from jazz to metal and I've found a tone that will suit.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by OThugSd

Quote by foob85