Poll: Is illegal dowloading wrong?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is illegal dowloading wrong?
Yes, and police need to crack down on it
47 10%
Yes, but police should leave it alone
223 46%
It's totally ok
212 44%
Voters: 483.
Page 1 of 6
What do you think of it? I think people don't take illegal downloading seriously enough and they need to stop. When people download albums off of limewire, it hurts the band you are listening to. You make think that if one person downloads something illegally it won't hurt the artist at all, but not just one person think like that. LOTS of people think it's okay to download. Plus it's stealing.

Not only is it the downloaders fault for causing this problem, it's the government and police. They need to crack down and stop illegal download. They made the law, but they don't enforce it.

What are your opinions?

Poll coming soon
Eh...most of the artists I listen to are dead. but I don't do it because my computer simply can't take having a program like that.
Psst, it's not stealing if you don't share your files.

You're downloading communism!
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
this is how i see it...what's the difference between me not buying a cd and me downloading the cd? and by the way, since most bands are being raped by their record label, it's going to affect the label way more than the artist
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Oct 25, 2007,
Quote by Alix_D
^ One lets you have the music, the other doesn't?

that's my point
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by The Madcap
Eh...most of the artists I listen to are dead. but I don't do it because my computer simply can't take having a program like that.

www.google.com

This is just like limewire, except it runs off of the site, not an .exe. You can also preview the song before playing it with this site.
^mods/admins please remove that link it's technically illegal thus breaking the rules
Quote by blues-guitarist
this is how i see it...what's the difference between me not buying a cd and me downloading the cd? and by the way, since most bands are being raped by their record label, it's going to affect the label more than the artist

Buy it on iTunes. It's cheaper then buying it at a store, you don't have to go out, it's legal, and it helps the artist and the record companies to produce more quality and quantity albums.
Last edited by IcePh0enix at Oct 25, 2007,
Didn't Radiohead kinda solve this problem?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
I mostly prefer to buy PHYSICAL CD's because I like reading about the band and the pictures in most of the cases. I also try to support the band (uh, the remaining parts of the band). I also just like CD's over digital stuff and records over CDs.
How did Radiohead address this issue?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Do you realize how much money they are making. Even if they lose a million dollars because of people downloading illegally it wont hurt them at all because they are filthy rich. I have seen interviews of bands saying that they don't care if people download there songs, but that they hate it when unfinished products are leaked. Are you catching my drift?

P.S.
Also i don't download it unless the album is already out.

*edit* Though it is more satisfying when you get the actual CD
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
nowadays theres no stoping the downloading
and admit i do it sometimes, but i try to go to the bands shows to make sure there still making money
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
Quote by erasmorpheous
Do you realize how much money they are making. Even if they lose a million dollars because of people downloading illegally it wont hurt them at all because they are filthy rich. I have seen interviews of bands saying that they don't care if people download there songs, but that they hate it when unfinished products are leaked. Are you catching my drift?

P.S.
Also i don't download it unless the album is already out.

Yeah, maybe Metallica and co, but not smaller bands, please realise how delusional you sound.
Quote by IcePh0enix
^mods/admins please remove that link it's technically illegal thus breaking the rules

Buy it on iTunes. It's cheaper then buying it at a store, you don't have to go out, it's legal, and it helps the artist and the record companies to produce more quality and quantity albums.

and it's a 128 kbps protected mp4 file... what more could i want?
"If you're not a doctor, then you must be... A fox"
*releases hounds*

last.fm
You think that Lars Ulrich LIKES people downloading Metallica music?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by IcePh0enix

Yes, but it stil costs money, which I, and most other UGers don't have.

I agreee with somebody who said this.. that the labels really rape their bands, I read this thing about arch enemy, they sell 200,000 copies of each CD, that's quite alot for a death metal band, but she said they earn about £10-20,000 year. That's absolutely **** all. They wouldn't have much more if people didn't download their songs.

Anyway, they get money from merch and gigs.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
You can't stop Illegal downloading, it took years and years to catch the makers of Kazaa. You can't expect police and goverment to crack down on it. Its just on too large a scale. You just have to hope there are enough real fans to support artists nowadays.
Quote by I'm_Guitarded
nowadays theres no stoping the downloading
and admit i do it sometimes, but i try to go to the bands shows to make sure there still making money

bands dont get that big of a cut from shows =/
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by jackson001
You think that Lars Ulrich LIKES people downloading Metallica music?

Lars had an overdose of wanksterone that day. I bet he downloads all of Slayer's albums whilst gigling fiendishly.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Yes, but it stil costs money, which I, and most other UGers don't have.

I agreee with somebody who said this.. that the labels really rape their bands, I read this thing about arch enemy, they sell 200,000 copies of each CD, that's quite alot for a death metal band, but she said they earn about £10-20,000 year. That's absolutely **** all. They wouldn't have much more if people didn't download their songs.

Anyway, they get money from merch and gigs.

do you mean £10 - £20,000 or £10,000 - £20,000? i would apologise for being a pedantic dick, but i'm not at all sorry. DON'T BE AMBIGUOUS!!!
*releases hounds*

last.fm
Quote by C.C. Deville

He has boobs in his avatar so he definetly knows his stuff.

I'm pretty broke too, but I save up, I buy, I listen, I enjoy . You don't realize it, but it's really just like stealing a nice tv because you don't have enough money. Just because your broke doesn't give you the right to steal stuff you want and don't need.
Quote by funnel
do you mean £10 - £20,000 or £10,000 - £20,000? i would apologise for being a pedantic dick, but i'm not at all sorry. DON'T BE AMBIGUOUS!!!

Either way, it's not enough to live on is it?

It's either £2,000 or £4,000 a year each.
Technically its not stealing (you arn't physically taking the music off the shelves in the shop)

its mear copyright infringement :P

I dont *cough* download, and although yes I feel sorry for the bands it does hurt, at the same time some people just dont need the money. For example Metallica (plz dont turn this into a flame fest its just an example), they're rich as f**k, but I'll probably download their new album first because I want to make sure its not St Anger part two, if it kicks ass I'll definatly buy it.

Most of the music industry (well at least the down to earth artists) seem to be ok with it and except theres nothing they can do.

It just seems like if some one wanted to stop it they could, limewire is fairly famous I mean its not like the police dont know its there and what its for.

Robbie Williams made 5 million for his latest tour alone.

I know hes a mega star and all but dont under estimate that part of the buisness, its probably worth more to some bands than albums.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 25, 2007,
who seriously cant say they havent downloaded one song illegally
most people have
YOU SEE US COMIN WALK TOGETHER RUN FOR COVER WERE TAKIN OVER THIS FUCKIN TOWN-PANTERA COWBOYS FROM HELL (OFFICAL LIVE 101)
Quote by zepledfan413
I mostly prefer to buy PHYSICAL CD's because I like reading about the band and the pictures in most of the cases. I also try to support the band (uh, the remaining parts of the band). I also just like CD's over digital stuff and records over CDs.

I agree with you entirely there. Having the artwork and disc is much more satisfying than just mp3s. But I use Limewire to find out whether I like a band before I'll buy their album. I've only downloaded one whole album - Dying Fetus, War of Attrition - and that was because it was impossible to find, and I'm still annoyed I haven't got the actual release. I'll probably end up buying it when I find it anyway.

You'd feel pretty annoyed if you bought a **** cd and wasted £10, you could have Limewired two or three songs to see whether it was worth buying.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by Absent Mind
Technically its not stealing (you arn't physically taking the music off the shelves in the shop)

its mear copyright infringement :P

I dont *cough* download, and although yes I feel sorry for the bands it does hurt, at the same time some people just dont need the money. For example Metallica (plz dont turn this into a flame fest its just an example), they're rich as f**k, but I'll probably download their new album first because I want to make sure its not St Anger part two, if it kicks ass I'll definatly buy it.

Most of the music industry (well at least the down to earth artists) seem to be ok with it and except theres nothing they can do.

It just seems like if some one wanted to stop it they could, limewire is fairly famous I mean its not like the police dont know its there and what its for.

Limewire isn't completely bad actually. It's a great place to download stuff thatgives permission to download stuff that the creator gives permission for, such as Red vs. Blue. It's just the people who put copyrighted material on the site who need to be warned or fined.
Quote by funnel

You are being a pedantic dick, even if you're not by nature, you are right now. Of course I mean ten grand to twenty grand, that's why I didn't put a £ symbol right before the 20,000.

DON'T ASSUME THE OBVIOUS WRONG ANSWER TO MAKE A POINT!!!
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by Alix_D
Either way, it's not enough to live on is it?

It's either £2,000 or £4,000 a year each.

no no no no no, you see, what you said could have been interpreted as a minimum of £10 per year, which i think would be £2 per year each according to your calculations. i realise that £4,000 a year is a crappy amount, but it's much better than £2. my only aim here is to encourage accurate representation of figures. i know you understand what you said, and so did i, but it was still open to misinterpretation. i don't give a **** about the downloading debate.
*releases hounds*

last.fm
Quote by IcePh0enix
He has boobs in his avatar so he definetly knows his stuff.

I'm pretty broke too, but I save up, I buy, I listen, I enjoy . You don't realize it, but it's really just like stealing a nice tv because you don't have enough money. Just because your broke doesn't give you the right to steal stuff you want and don't need.

A telly is not a neccessity, music is. You always need it. And as it seems, most people on here and probably around the world, download and the buy, so we don't waste money on a crap cd.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by blackflag49
Should you be warned or fined if you look at a painting without paying a fee?

Zomg, don't look!

THEIF! I was thinking that.

The National Gallery in London is free of charge, except for special exhibitions, so does that make millions of people theifs on a giant scale. I've been there alot, I must have seen five hundred paintings and many a sculpture. Shouldn't I, along with millions of others be arrested for a long, long time.

Or doesn't it matter since the artists are dead.

But still I'm PRO LIMEWIRE.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by freddaahh
You are being a pedantic dick, even if you're not by nature, you are right now. Of course I mean ten grand to twenty grand, that's why I didn't put a £ symbol right before the 20,000.

DON'T ASSUME THE OBVIOUS WRONG ANSWER TO MAKE A POINT!!!

... he shoots, he scores???

(sorry )
*releases hounds*

last.fm
Quote by IcePh0enix
Limewire isn't completely bad actually. It's a great place to download stuff thatgives permission to download stuff that the creator gives permission for, such as Red vs. Blue. It's just the people who put copyrighted material on the site who need to be warned or fined.

Haven't you just, completely backed out of your argument, realising your faults?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by funnel
... he shoots, he scores???

(sorry )

HELL YEAH I FUCKING SCORED!

i think my sarcasm detector is running a bit low today.....
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by freddaahh
HELL YEAH I FUCKING SCORED!

i think my sarcasm detector is running a bit low today.....

no, i honestly did think [insert whatever band you were originally talking about] were living on a combined total of £10 per annum. i hope i'm not taking this too far.
*releases hounds*

last.fm
Quote by funnel
no, i honestly did think [insert whatever band you were originally talking about] were living on a combined total of £10 per annum. i hope i'm not taking this too far.

No you're not. I just find it strange how you could belive that a band could live the price of two 12" eatball subways (ripoff isn't it?).

I mean they have their own clothes, that may be a clue.

Maybe you're tired, after all it is half past two in Blighty right now.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife