Ok, so I've always thought that Death Metal was characterized by harsh growling vocals, but my cousin disagrees. See, we were talking about a band called Haste the Day, and I was referring to them as a Death Metal band (because they growl out the vocals), but my cousin corrected me saying that they're just Metal, not Death Metal. According to him, his friends iPod has them under the Metal genre, and I guess iPods know all in his mind.

Anyway, I checked their Myspace, and it also had them as Metal. So, am I wrong? Is Death Metal not just related to the growled vocals? Or is Myspace and the iPod just stupid?

Here's the link to their Myspace page, if you want to listen.

http://www.myspace.com/hastetheday
death metal does have growling vocals, but not every band that has growling vocals is death metal. they're more of a metalcore band. if you want to hear death metal, listen to cannibal corpse, behemoth, nile, decapitated, dying fetus, suffocation.
Last edited by chimairapwns at Oct 25, 2007,
both

Apple doesnt know subgenres of metal

death metal is like VERY VERY throaty growling and low tunes guitar riffs

Haste the Day is Metalcore
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
add dying fetus and suffocation to that list.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
They aren't death metal by far. They don't growl and they also sing clean vocals, which isn't in death metal. I would call them metalcore. Did you also notice they had Hardcore as a genre? There isn't a metalcore option on Myspace, so most metalcore bands put Metal/Hardcore.
Quote by metalhead_99801
add dying fetus and suffocation to that list.

yes, thank you, i forgot about them. i will add them now =].
Thanks. Genres are a pain sometimes... And now I have to go listen to some real Death Metal, and other Metalcore bands. Just to get my bearings.

EDIT: One more question. What's the difference between Nu Metal and Metal?
Last edited by -Rane- at Oct 25, 2007,
Quote by GuitarHero87645
Definetly not Death Metal, guitars aren't tuned low enough, and the vocals are death growls.

Guitars aren't tuned low enough?!

They're tuned higher than early Cannibal Corpse...
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Nu metal is like Disturbed and such... mostly **** as far as music goes and technicality. Black metal is where it's at

EDIT: Yeah Cannibal Corpse was tuned in standard.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Quote by GuitarHero87645
Definetly not Death Metal, guitars aren't tuned low enough, and the vocals are death growls.
tuning has nothing to do with it
Quote by Instrumetal
Guitars aren't tuned low enough?!

They're tuned higher than early Cannibal Corpse...
you mean lower
Smug: No, it was Eb.

Alucard: ...

Eff you!
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?