Page 1 of 2
I don't know much about the newer SD Blackouts and am curious as to how they compare to the EMG 81/85 set that so many people use. The set of blackouts is cheaper and might be better, who knows?

I play metal somewhat between Lamb of God and August Burns Red, if it makes a difference. I need harmonics to really scream and chords to sound as heavy as possible.

Which are better and why?
the 81/85s are only good if you play metal

if you play metal but tend to go into other styles, go blackouts

EDIT:

i meant the emgs are good if you only play metal
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Yeah I play only metal - amp never touches the clean channel unless for pedal use.
then go emg 81/85

one question, does your guitar already have active pups in? cuz if not, you gota drill some holes and route out some room for the batteries
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
I'm actually getting a new guitar, thats why I'm asking. I could get a guitar with the 81/85 set already, or get a guitar cheaper and put blackouts in it. Passives might be alright, too but people have said actives would be better for my genre of music.
yeah man, but if you get an emg 60, you could also play some bluesly stuff and have nice overdrive tones
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
yeah man, but if you get an emg 60, you could also play some bluesly stuff and have nice overdrive tones

81 Bridge, 60 Neck? Thats a possibility, too. Just switch out the 85 in the neck for a 60.
Quote by CJRocker
85 in the bridge and you can play more then metal..

I don't want/need to play more than metal. I just need the best combination for my style of metal - which as I said is between Lamb of God and August Burns Red.
Quote by rwalby9
81 Bridge, 60 Neck? Thats a possibility, too. Just switch out the 85 in the neck for a 60.

yeah, your in my club now

btw, i have no clubs
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I need a floyd rose or other decent tremolo, doubt I'll find a 81/60 like that.
ya most guitars with a floyd are super strats, and have 81/85. honestly i dont think the 60/85 would make much difference for you. if you never touch the clean channel you'll mostly be using the 81 anyways, the 60 just has nicer cleans, it wouldnt be worth an extra hundred bucks for the 60. i dont know what your price range is for a guitar, but a schecter c-1 hellraiser fr is great(i have the one without the floyd) otherwise something like an ltd mh-400 or something. if your flashy, the ltd dj-400(dan jacobs signature) is effing sweet looking in my opinion.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by rwalby9
I don't want/need to play more than metal. I just need the best combination for my style of metal - which as I said is between Lamb of God and August Burns Red.

Just throwing that out there for the naysayers Actually, Mark Morton olays Duncan '59s. Shows how much of it is in your amp settings and technique. But yeah, I woudl go EMG 81/85 anyway, as the 85 is a bit warmer IMO.
i thought the blackouts were new... how do so many people know about how blackouts sound???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i thought the blackouts were new... how do so many people know about how blackouts sound???

BUT MAN! the due ahead of liekd it so it must be teh pawnzorz!
ah jeeze... "emg's are only good for metal" FALSE!

what amp are you using right now?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Blackouts have been out for a while. The single bridge is already sold out on MSF. I just wonder how they hold up to 81/85.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
ah jeeze... "emg's are only good for metal" FALSE!

I second that, I've gotten some damn good clean sounds from my EMGs. I elected to skip 81/60 in favor of 81/85, no regrets. Even though I'd still love to have a 60.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
true, i'd love to hear some stuff coming from the 60, but the 85 is still good as hell for cleans.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I'm looking forward to the 7 string blackouts, that's what I'm waiting for. If they are miles better than the EMG's, I'll probably swap the 6 string ones I have too. That said, I like the EMG's quite a bit. They can do decent cleans, I don't think they are as horrible as most people think. I had the 81/89, and I really like how the 89 can sound clean, and for leads too. I imagine the 60 is better, but I haven't owned it. I made a clip last year on a podxt with the 89 for cleans and lead, and I think it came out decent for teh hated EMG's on a digital modeler. http://media.putfile.com/Instrumental-93
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Phillitalian
one question, does your guitar already have active pups in? cuz if not, you gota drill some holes and route out some room for the batteries

I don't get where people get this from. You DO NOT need to drill any holes or route ANYTHING for EMGs, the battery should easily fit with the pots in your guitar.

That being said, I don't know, never played the blackouts, but I hear good things. I don't think they're worth it enough for me to change the EMGs in my guitars to them, no pickup is going to change my sound that much to justify taking a set of $200 pickup, that I'm happy with, out for different ones. However, if I ever get a new guitar with crappy stock pickups, I might try em out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't get where people get this from. You DO NOT need to drill any holes or route ANYTHING for EMGs, the battery should easily fit with the pots in your guitar.

That being said, I don't know, never played the blackouts, but I hear good things. I don't think they're worth it enough for me to change the EMGs in my guitars to them, no pickup is going to change my sound that much to justify taking a set of $200 pickup, that I'm happy with, out for different ones. However, if I ever get a new guitar with crappy stock pickups, I might try em out.

+1
didn't see that, definitely false. Maybe on something super skinny like an S series, but even then, I've seen guys get them in. I've had 2 batteries in all of my guitars, without cutting holes or modifications.

Matrix, one good thing about the blackouts, from what I can tell, they use the same quick connect as the EMG's. I checked out their installation diagrams, and it looks to be the same wiring and pot values, so it may be as easy as plugging them in to try.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
+1
didn't see that, definitely false. Maybe on something super skinny like an S series, but even then, I've seen guys get them in. I've had 2 batteries in all of my guitars, without cutting holes or modifications.

Matrix, one good thing about the blackouts, from what I can tell, they use the same quick connect as the EMG's. I checked out their installation diagrams, and it looks to be the same wiring and pot values, so it may be as easy as plugging them in to try.

Oh man, that might actually be pretty cool if they worked like that. Maybe someone at a shop will let me try em out haha

Yeah, the cavity in my SG was pretty small, but I fit the battery in there fine. Have a friend that has an S520 with EMGs in it and they fit in his fine as well, guess people just think you need a battery cavity cause guitars with EMGs in them have them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Some guitars just don't have big strat-like swimming pools for control cavities. You can't even fit a clenched fist in the cavity on my DT-120, even with the pots and switch pulled out.
strats don't have swimming pool control cavities... only the low end squiers. even affinities have a regular three HSS cavities.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
when your trying guitars
see if you can get somthing with hot passive i mean ive heard some pretty insane tones out of passives and i find they have a bit more character to them EMG's sound the same in most guitars to me with exceptions but i spose its cause people get EMG's and use so much gain theres no character
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Looks like im the only one has tried the new blackouts.

I have played EMGs for years all my guitars have 81/60 combo in it, except for my newest one which i have equppied with Blackouts. Let me tell you i swore by EMGs for years then i played these blackouts. They are ****ing awesome imo better than EMGs. They dont have that treble spike in the bridge like the 81 does. The cleans are awesome as are the leads. When it comes to chords they are much more articulate much more note definition. The pick ups have an overall warmer tone as well more like a passive feel they arent "cold and sterile" the biggest complaint about EMGs. They are also quieter as i have noticed i was able to turn down my decimator setting as the Blackouts just arent as noisy as the EMGs are.

So after having spent much time with both. Lets just say if i had the moeny all my guitars would have Blackouts in them. They are a far superior pick up imo. Anythi9ng you can think of wrong with the EMGs and there are things wron with them the Blackouts have fixed the problem perfect imo.

also yes the Blackouts do have the quick connect like EMGs but the connectors are different so unfortunatly you cant connect a Blackout to the EMG base in your other guitars trust me i have tried lol

I hoped this helped whoever was intrested
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
ahh, poo. I was excited to think I could just plug new ones in. Thanks for the info Syn
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
ahh, poo. I was excited to think I could just plug new ones in. Thanks for the info Syn

ya dude i know how you feel i was hoping the same thing. The connector on EMGs are on the bottom side while the connector for these is in the middle of the bottom.

Oh well they sound ****ing amazing
Quote by ECistheBest
strats don't have swimming pool control cavities... only the low end squiers. even affinities have a regular three HSS cavities.

I was making a size analogy, not refering to the actuall "Swimming pool" pup rout that cheap squires get.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I was making a size analogy, not refering to the actuall "Swimming pool" pup rout that cheap squires get.

For the record, mine is H-S-H and has a small ass electronics cavity. I put EMGs I ahd sittign around in it was a tough fit. Btw, I think the people saying "Blackouts = Better them EMGs" is only slightly less retarded sounding then "DiMarzio > Duncan" One company is not better. One pickup may be subjectively better then another, but you can't say one whole line or company is better then the other without trying every product they make. I swear Duncan probably took the idea of having an 85- like pickup in the bridge and ran with it, hence why people are saying they are warmer, aren't as sterile, and sound better clean.
Quote by CJRocker
For the record, mine is H-S-H and has a small ass electronics cavity. I put EMGs I ahd sittign around in it was a tough fit. Btw, I think the people saying "Blackouts = Better them EMGs" is only slightly less retarded sounding then "DiMarzio > Duncan" One company is not better. One pickup may be subjectively better then another, but you can't say one whole line or company is better then the other without trying every product they make. I swear Duncan probably took the idea of having an 85- like pickup in the bridge and ran with it, hence why people are saying they are warmer, aren't as sterile, and sound better clean.

Wrong i was stating that imo the Blackouts sound better than the EMGs. In fact the blakouts dont even sound like an 85 but more a mix between an 85 and 81. To me they really sound somewhat similar but SD has fixed the problems EMG couldnt
you can also check out SD's Live Wire LW-HMETS set. not great cleans, but insane overdrive from the bridge.

a friend of mine stuck one in a cheapo BC Rich years back, and it turned it from a turd into a harmonic monster. I've owned EMG, I like them for metal. but I'm considering getting this set myself for an upcoming Ibanez purchase. (after I buy my Rivera K-tre next month)
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by Syn Harvest
Wrong i was stating that imo the Blackouts sound better than the EMGs. In fact the blakouts dont even sound like an 85 but more a mix between an 85 and 81. To me they really sound somewhat similar but SD has fixed the problems EMG couldnt

Exactly, you're stating an entire line sounds better then anything by a company. Now then, the idea of them being a mix between an 81/85 intrigues me.
81 in the bridge was always too much IMO. kind of like vintage 30s, just grainy and harsh. 85 in the bridge is golden.
Quote by CJRocker
Exactly, you're stating an entire line sounds better then anything by a company. Now then, the idea of them being a mix between an 81/85 intrigues me.

IF you mean black outs are better than ALL EMGs then yes i will go with that because evryday i believe it to be a little more true
Page 1 of 2