I need to know a good distortion to buy, my cousin got a dod grunge pedal and it

sounds pretty tight, and has sustain like crazy, i mean seriously crazy long sustain. I

need a good distortion pedal, like a fuzz or something probably, without a monster

amount of noise/hum, and incredible sustain that's epic. Anyone know a good pedal like

that that's easy to find? tell me
Go with a Boss Ds-1
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Maybe an EHX muff of some kind? Maybe a metal muff?

I have the Digitech Distortion Factory, it has models of 7 different amps, it's pretty solid if you buy the AC adapter (it eats batteries like crazy).
I have a Digitech Distortion Factory, that has 7 unique distortions which you can morph yourself. another good one is the new Boss Drive Zone Twin Pedal, which has all sorts of distortion modes. just go to Boss to check it out
the big muff is real solid

Quote by Sputnik1
I have a Digitech Distortion Factory, that has 7 unique distortions which you can morph yourself. another good one is the new Boss Drive Zone Twin Pedal, which has all sorts of distortion modes. just go to Boss to check it out

dont get the df7, my friend has one, ive played it, its almost impossible to find a good tone out of it. like he rarely uses it.

and if your gonna go boss, the ds1 is pretty standard, and if you want it to be more versitile you can always get it modded for really cheap, most mod sites do ds1s. if your looking for a heavier distortion i'd go with the ds2
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
The metal zone is pretty tight, and despite the name it works in all genres. Or most, anyway.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
If you can possibly scrape up $200 USD, I'd recommend saving up for the Damage Control Solid Metal dual-12AX7 tube pedal. I mean, hey, it's got real tubes, man! Check out the demos on YouTube. It sounds f*cking amazing!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

metal muff is good, Proco Rat is way better!!!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
Quote by rage6945
the big muff is real solid

dont get the df7, my friend has one, ive played it, its almost impossible to find a good tone out of it. like he rarely uses it.

and if your gonna go boss, the ds1 is pretty standard, and if you want it to be more versitile you can always get it modded for really cheap, most mod sites do ds1s. if your looking for a heavier distortion i'd go with the ds2
The DF7 is hard to get good tones out of because there's a lot of knobs and whatnot to deal with. When I first got it I hated it buy now that i've gotten the settings right I can make it sound great.
Quote by gwitersnamps
The metal zone is pretty tight, and despite the name it works in all genres. Or most, anyway.

Never ever ever ever ever!!!!

For the best distortion pedals, there are plenty around, especially on EBay. The DS-1 is mediocre and you can do much better. Try the Maxon Sonic Distortion. It is quite nice. It's on the Maxon's website.

If you got the dough, try something from Damage Control or the MEsa Bottle ROcket or more likely, the Mesa V-Twin.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Oh yes, Pro Co Rats are very nice as well. So probably Maxon Sonic Distortion or Pro Co Rat.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
i have a df-7 and a fuzz factory which are good but sustain is weak. How is sustain on the rat and maxon sonic distortion? And i mean the pro co rat2, is that any good?
Quote by IncubusMan999

Never ever ever ever ever!!!!

For the best distortion pedals, there are plenty around, especially on EBay. The DS-1 is mediocre and you can do much better. Try the Maxon Sonic Distortion. It is quite nice. It's on the Maxon's website.

If you got the dough, try something from Damage Control or the MEsa Bottle ROcket or more likely, the Mesa V-Twin.

yeah, youre full of it.
ds-1 is on a million pedalboards of everyone we listen to and admire and they can make it sound good(even live)
the sonic distortion is just gainy tubescreamer.
the mesa bottle rockets and v-twins suck, which was why they were discontinued. you cant make the tubes cook at 9 volts.
dc is the only decent recommendation you gave.
try a radial tonebone, either classic or hot british
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Go with a Boss Ds-1

My friend has a DS-1 and i hate it. I haven't really heard a good Boss Distortion pedal yet.

Check these out;

EHX Metal Muff
MXR Dist+
Proco Rat
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by TehJermie
yeah, youre full of it.
ds-1 is on a million pedalboards of everyone we listen to and admire and they can make it sound good(even live)
the sonic distortion is just gainy tubescreamer.
the mesa bottle rockets and v-twins suck, which was why they were discontinued. you cant make the tubes cook at 9 volts.
dc is the only decent recommendation you gave.

I mentioned the DS-1 as being mediocre because that is by far the best out of the BOss distortion pedal range. I know many people use it but that doesn't necessarily mean it's an incentive for everyone to follow suit.

Let me rephrase. The DS-1 is ok, but there is much better for the same or slightly higher price.

The Mesa V-Twin I played was excellent for a distortion pedal! The tube doesn't get very hot but it sure distorts the sound very nicely.

The Sonic Distortion is essentially a heavier tubescreamer but it sounds way better than a DS-1 and that's undeniable

Besides, most artists that use a DS-1 endorse it and use it on maybe one of their songs for a brief time-frame but essentially, there is much better.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Let me rephrase. The DS-1 is ok, but there is much better for the same or slightly higher price.

You show me a better, NEW pedal that I can get for $90 AUD, and I'll donate the price of it to the cancer charity of your choice.

I'm serious.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Last edited by Cofflecakes at Oct 28, 2007,
Try a ProCo Rat or a Electro Harmonix Big Muff fuzz pedal. The Big Muff will give you a more fuzzy, sustained sound, but the rat is more versatile as a distortion, and can get fuzzy sound if you want it to. The EH pedal will be better for fuzz though. take your pick.
I'd go with a Big Muff, or something like that. Don't go Boss, my friend has a Metal Zone and a Ds1, and in my opinion, they both sound like crap.
i tryed both- the rat and the metal muff.....the rat can give you way more variations of metal than the muff.....so you'll have to take the rat if you want a more versatile and a better sounding pedal; end of the story!
my gear:

Do you guys think that the metal muff can do good hard rock lead tones? Or is it more for metal rhythm? I'm gonna go to GC today and want to try some out since right now to get the tone i want i have to use my amp almost all the way up with an od.
metal muff is for metal though with the right settings you can get acceptable rock tones out of it
my gear:

Quote by LEVEL4
If you can possibly scrape up $200 USD, I'd recommend saving up for the Damage Control Solid Metal dual-12AX7 tube pedal. I mean, hey, it's got real tubes, man! Check out the demos on YouTube. It sounds f*cking amazing!

I've tried that, and it's terrible. It will not work decently unless you put in a 2000 dollar amp and not everyone can or wants to afford that, also tubes in a pedal is almost the same as a tube/ss amp combination. It's a marketing trick, that really doesn't make all that much of a difference. And please stop trying to sound like a commercial, cause as much as you do I'd almost think you're an employee of them.

edit: and the J&H the guy above me mentioned is one I support as well, it's a bit more expensive but way more versatile and more quality -wich I know from experience since I own the bloody thing-
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
^ive actually had a bunch of the DC pedals in my company for more than a 5 minute trip to guitar center. they sound great with many different price ranges of guitar amps. and as for the "tube pedal marketing gimmick" theyre actually biased HOTTER than preamp tubes in amps. youre just being a cunt.
the jeckll and hyde makes every guitar sound the same. robs guitars of their uniqueness. when a 1500 dollar telecaster sounds exactly like a starter les paul, somethings not right.
Electro Harmonix Sovtek Big Muff
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by TehJermie

the jeckll and hyde makes every guitar sound the same. robs guitars of their uniqueness. when a 1500 dollar telecaster sounds exactly like a starter les paul, somethings not right.

But don't lots of distortion pedals do that to some extent?
^ dude, even with my modded METALZONES or a DS-1 my guitars sound different. its just something inherently wrong with the way they designed it. i had honestly never exeperienced that with any distortion pedals i own(A LOT) before then.
Boss DS-1, and the Monte mod
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
Quote by IncubusMan999
I mentioned the DS-1 as being mediocre because that is by far the best out of the BOss distortion pedal range.

Wow looks like you're forgetting a few. SD-1, OD-1, OD-3, BD-2, DS-2, OS-2
If anything the ds-1 is in the lower range out of the box. It's after the ds-1 is modded that it really shines.
yesss dude. ProCo Rat for sureeeeeeeeeee
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by wonder725
Wow looks like you're forgetting a few. SD-1, OD-1, OD-3, BD-2, DS-2, OS-2
If anything the ds-1 is in the lower range out of the box. It's after the ds-1 is modded that it really shines.

True, the Keeley modded DS-1 is very nice. A very correct statement that a modded DS-1 is excellent. I think Analog Man do a DS-1 mod too.

Now, about your list.

The Boss SD-1 is very average and IMO, i hated it. It's lifeless and grainy. Hated it. Haven't tried a modded one though.

OD-1, I haven't tried one but if the OD-3 is anything to go by, blurgh.

OD-3, already consulted.

BD-2: Wow, there are so many better overdrives out there than a Blues Driver. Try a Maxon OD-808, does the same task much more effectively.

DS-2: Really the same as a stock DS-1 with a gain boost.

OS-2: Have heard but not tried, and I didn't really like it when I heard it.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by FretboardToAsh
I've tried that, and it's terrible. It will not work decently unless you put in a 2000 dollar amp and not everyone can or wants to afford that, also tubes in a pedal is almost the same as a tube/ss amp combination. It's a marketing trick, that really doesn't make all that much of a difference. And please stop trying to sound like a commercial, cause as much as you do I'd almost think you're an employee of them.
You've tried a Damage Control Solid Metal pedal, and you think it's terrible? Well, I have a dual-12AX7 tube preamp and it sounds f*cking awesome. I don't see why the exact same tubes in a pedal form factor couldn't sound good (the DC pedals have dual-12AX7, 250V-biased tubes). And no, I don't work for DC, I just think that if there's a pedal out there that sounds about a billion f*cking times better than some $80 piece-of-sh*t "metal" pedal, it would be good thing if more people knew about it.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 29, 2007,
i got a metal muff the otha day....ITS CRAZY!!!!
i recomend it if you want the kind of KoRn, system of a down style.
its is good for lots of otha genre s but i got it for those reasons
if you can't afford the big metal muff with the top boost feature,
get a nano/ pocket one!!!!
mt-2 gets me about 14 seconds of sustain and more then enough distortion with abit of fuzz if you dial it in right.