Hi guys,

What are good passive pick up specs for a metal guitar. I am starting a new build and really want to get a set of pups that will crank. I know Duncans, Dimarzios and Emgs are great pick ups but I want to get the best out of what ever brand I choose. I was also looking into some custom ones but not sure if I'll get any more out of them than if I just hand pick a brand name.

I have two BC Rich guitars with Duncans and I love the sound. They came in the guitars when I bought them so I am not 100% sure what models they are and I don't want to tear them down at this point both were restrung set up recently.

Thanks

John
what genre do u play? just general: "metal"?

and what kind of amp do u have?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah we'd need to know your whole rig.

Amp makes the most difference, pickups are kinda the icing on the tone cake, usually when you're resorting to a pickup change you've got everything else nearly down and set.
^i don't like how you said that. it's right, amp makes a lot of difference, but pickups make differences too. you can't say "amps make lot more difference than a pickup does". since i hear a lot of differences between pickups, as well as the amps. amps color your tone the most, but the speaker matters, the tubes matter, everything changes ur tone. even a day old string vs a week old string is a big difference.

also, 6ft cable and 18ft cable is a lot of difference.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
EMGS are quite nice, Dimebucker is decent, but i don't recomend it. the black outs by seymour duncan are nice, if your into that kinda of sound, you would have to hear it... but they're nice. evo's are real nice, but also, only if you like that sound.
I hate to say it but I have a Line 6 Spider II, I know the first thing is going to be get rid of the amp. I like my Spider so it going to stay for a bit. I am into real heavy, death, grindcore metal. I'm going to look into the other electronics in the guitar as well pots etc.