Page 1 of 3
I'm 15. Do I have the right to be mad at my parents for not letting me go to a show. I was planning on bringing my girlfriend to go see Chiodos (Not my type) for her birthday, at a downtown club yet my parents think I'm too young to do something like this.
Are they right?
tell your parents that your going to have sex with her then have a huge orgy with her friends too
Im 15, my parents don't let me go to shows (Rise Against, Thursday, etc..) when I was 15, but only when it wasn't a school night

Just talk to them about it.

I had to talk to my parents into letting me go to shows, and now I can go all the time (I am 15 also ,btw.)
Yes you have a right to be mad and

no they are not right because you're taking your girlfriend and all.
It's basically like them saying to you "You can't go to your girlfriend birthday party."
idk, my bff tyra banks.
If you don't like it you're welcome to move out.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by SeniorCrepe
You're too young for a girlfriend.

APSH!! BEGONE!!

i go to shows all the time and im 14 soo... you do the math.
my gear:
ibanez RG
digitech RP250
crate RFX15
marshall 30-watt

ignore the username
Quote by Eminored
I'd start a World War too if I listened to enough polka.

Quote by COBHC728
To TriviumJunkie: You need rehab my friend

stanleybach ur fucking banned!!
APSH!!
I was thirteen when I started going to shows I guess it just depends on your parents.
I remember seeing a kid who was 7-8 years old at a couple of punk shows and he was dancing and crowd surfing along with everybody else. Try to explain to your parents that it's easy to stay out of pits if they're worried about your safety and the venue will probably have lots of security as well.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Your parents are doing this thing called "parenting". If you get upset (read: angsty) as a result then they are right for doing it. What you need to do is be responsible and mature and show them that you are ready to go to shows and whatnot.

And don't bang your gf until you're ready to raise children. Until then, you're not old enough to have sex.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
My parents have been fine with me going to shows alone since I was 14...so, for three years now.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
im 15, i've seen 4 shows, going to see another tomorrow night (MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK W00T!)
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
I'm 15 and my parents let me go to any show I want pretty much. The problem is getting there. I've seen 12 year olds mosh at some pretty underground punk shows so I think your parents should let you go.
12 year olds would get owned in a mosh pit. I would pick one up and throw them around just for fun
I've been going to shows since I was 14. My parents are cool with it as long as it's not on a school night (very few exceptions) and I buy my own ticket.

You don't really have a "right" to be mad at your parents for their decision. Respect it and don't complain, and they might remember that you were mature about it next time you ask to go a concert.
Who dat?
i went to my first "metal" concert (slipknot) when i was 13 and i got the **** kicked out of me in the mosh pit
but now im 15 and ive gone to a ****load of shows this year
so yeah
you have a reason to be pissed
Quote by SeniorCrepe
You're too young for a girlfriend.

lawl +1

i'm 17 and i'm not allowed, so don't feel bad.
They are right
because they're still you legal guardians
you only have a say when your 18

Just say its for you musical development or something.
Quote by JC13
I've gone to plenty shows, first being at 13. So you can be mad, but don't show it, that'll be a dead give-away you aren't mature enough to go yet. Just talk to them, ask them why you can't go, and try to compromise.. Good luck though.

People like you are the reasons these threads are made..

Isn't it awesome ?
Without threads like these there would be no Pit, think about it... where would your life be ?, where would you spend all you friday and saturday nights ?
Hey kiddies? got parental problems? Here's a solution:

Don't obey them

That's right, because they have no power over you if you don't give them that power. Hell, that's in our ****ing constitution, "Government by the consent of the governed". Just be prepared to face life when you do. And have a nice day.

-lefty
Well, everybody's parents are different. Personally, if you were my kid, i'd let you do w/e the **** you wanted. Cuz i'm a ****ing kick ass parent.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
i personally think that's a little lame. you're not going to live for ever, so you're missing out on a part of your life just bc your parents say so?

that's awesome.
wait until you are 16 and can drive yourself to a show. if they still dont let you go, then you might have a reason to be pissed. or once you can drive yourself just tell your parents that you are going to the movies and go to the show instead. just dont come back with bruises and blackeyes from a mosh pit.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I've been going to concerts since I was 11, which was Ozzfest.

It's family tradition to skip school to go to Ozzfest

But yeah, my mom just says that I have to go to school the next day if it's on a school night.

Hell, I can only think of like 3 concerts that I didn't go to with my parents...

So yes, you should go. Threaten them with the "I'll get a crazy black man on you if you don't let me go".

Besides, it's just chiodos. It's not like you'll get hurt or anything :P:
I was going to shows alone at 12. so, yes.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Some downtown clusb are rough... seeing Julien-k at a local place here comes to mind.
Iunno, I've been to a lot of shows, and a lot of sketchy stuff goes on at said shows. Drugs, creepy old guys trying to hit on me, got into a fight with a bunch of skinheads because they didn't like my shirt, etc. Those are the horror stories, I've been to pleanty of other shows where the vibe was cool, everyone had a good time, and I went home glad that I did it.

IMO 15 is too young, even though I went to my first show at 14. Hypocritical? Maybe. But +1 to whoever said you should talk to your parents about it. Find out why they don't want you to go, odds are they have some pretty good reasons if you're willing to be rational about it. If her parents are letting her go, have your parents talk to hers, maybe they'll come to a consensus and let you go. Ask if you can take a cell phone and check in. If they still say no, I won't tell you what to do from there. If you end up deciding to go regardless, just be on your guard and don't get into any funny situations. Again, those were all horror stories, but at the same time, funny stuff happens at shows all the time.

Just be rational and smart about it.
Try to make a compromise.

If you promise to have your phone on you, and come back at a certain time and possibly even take more friends, you should be able to work something out.
I've been going to shows since I was 14. When I was 15 I used to go to shows almost every week, but that was back when there used to be a lot of good all ages shows here.
**** them my parents did that once but i still went. i just said i was going to like my freinds house for the nght and i went to the show instead
Quote by garrett5
Im 15, my parents don't let me go to shows (Rise Against, Thursday, etc..) when I was 15, but only when it wasn't a school night

your 15 and your parents won't let you go to shows when you were 15 but only when it wasn't a school night?

so they let you go to shows on school nights?

why were you talking as if you used to be 15, you're still 15 right?

what the heck?

that post made no sense.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
I went to my first show at 13, and I'm 15 now.

My parents are really strict with me about letting me out of the house. But as long as I don't get wasted/high at the show and get home in one piece, even at 6AM, they're fine with me going to shows. Hell, I'm even going to a local show next Wednesday.

You shouldn't be mad at your parents for not letting you go. Maybe it's not the fact that you're going to a show, but the fact that you're taking your girlfriend to the show (some parents are REALLY paranoid about this stuff). Like someone else said, talk to them about it. Try to convince them that you're not going to get drunk, high, or bang your girlfriend at/after the show.
I went to my first rock show with my dad
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by sargasm
I've been going to shows since I was 14. When I was 15 I used to go to shows almost every week, but that was back when there used to be a lot of good all ages shows here.

There was good shows in Calgary every week?? Who is good to you? Like the stuff at The Underground?? Or like actual well-known bands?
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Page 1 of 3