ive been looking at this guitar for a long time as an alternative to its more expensive little brother, but i head the tremolo system sucks, ive also heard its pretty good. anywho i was wondering what other peoples opinions were on it.
It's the budget version of the JEM, the "JS-100" of the JEM series. There's a lot better for the price,.
definately, but i want to know whether its worth getting it and just replacing the trem, if it is that bad, or if i should go with something else
dont get it, signature guitars are usually really expensive without a reason, while on the other hand you can get a non sig guitar with the same price but which is wayy better than it

and um...the tremolo isn't THAT bad...but its still not the best

a d do you wanna change the tremolo after you buy it? thats like 200 more bucks right there
Quote by sum_ugly_man
dont get it, signature guitars are usually really expensive without a reason, while on the other hand you can get a non sig guitar with the same price but which is wayy better than it

I'm actually going to have to disagree with the paying extra for a sig point of your argument. If it were a new guitar, such as the new JEMs, I would agree with you but it being used and discontinued, and the fact that it's a sig series guitar, the guitar is going to do nothing but gain value. Vai isn't gonna live forever.

Other than the cheap trem, the guitar is going to be a beast. You can always find an edge pro on ebay if you decide on replacing the trem.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
So this isn't the ultra-cheap version designed to compete with chinese knockoffs?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
I think the JEM is a bit better than most Signature guitars, because not only did Vai design it, but he actually plays it, so you know it must be good. But id save up the extra cash and shell out for a higher end JEM, not the 555
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm actually going to have to disagree with the paying extra for a sig point of your argument. If it were a new guitar, such as the new JEMs, I would agree with you but it being used and discontinued, and the fact that it's a sig series guitar, the guitar is going to do nothing but gain value. Vai isn't gonna live forever.

Other than the cheap trem, the guitar is going to be a beast. You can always find an edge pro on ebay if you decide on replacing the trem.

its not discontinued, its the cheap version of the Jem7v
Quote by Wylde14
its not discontinued, its the cheap version of the Jem7v

They haven't been sold to the states since 2000...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Wylde14
they are stocked in music stores near me right now

Well, go ahead.

Just realise that the guitar you're getting is nothing but a Korean RG with DiMarzios and a few cosmetic touches, like a cheesy Steve Vai inlay and only half of the vine.

If you're O.K. with paying Prestige prices for non-Prestige guitars, get it...
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
And just realize when buying a real JEM that what you're getting is nothing more than a Japanese RG with Dimarzios and a few cosmetic touches like a cheesy vine inlay.

No, actually...

When buying a Japanese RG, just realize - you're are getting a JEM, but without all the cheesy crap and those silly Evos.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
How much are they asking for the guitar? Im getting confused by the mixed reviews of people on the forum and others online.

IMO, do what you want. If that guitar is what you want go for it, and screw what others say about the signature series thing. I have a JS1000 and i paid $900 for it. Yea im a fanboy, but its a great guitar, and it suits my playing.

As for the bridge, i dont know exactly what bridge comes on. I think its the Lo-Pro 2? Correct me if im wrong, but i dont think that the bridge did too hot when it came out. I had an Ibanez with one and it snapped one of the saddle pieces right off.
it's actually the dreaded Edge III trem.

Here's my problem with it, you could buy one of the lower end ibanez RG prestige guitars for less than the 555, it would be so much better value for money, and my friend has a JEM copy that was made for him, the handle is VERY disappointing
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by sum_ugly_man

and um...the tremolo isn't THAT bad...but its still not the best

a d do you wanna change the tremolo after you buy it? thats like 200 more bucks right there

The trem is its biggest downfall. Its utter crap and should never of been put in that guitar. It is also made out of Basswood i beleive, not Adler like the other JEM's. Also, that half vine? wtf? and the Steve Vai inlay on the 24th....

In all honesty if you can replace the Trem and do something with the inlays. They look so stupid to me, it would be a cracking guitar.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by apmaman
It is also made out of Basswood i beleive, not Adler like the other JEM's.

It's just the 7V that's made of alder, and not basswood like the other JEMs.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by apmaman
The trem is its biggest downfall. Its utter crap and should never of been put in that guitar. It is also made out of Basswood i beleive, not Adler like the other JEM's. Also, that half vine? wtf? and the Steve Vai inlay on the 24th....

In all honesty if you can replace the Trem and do something with the inlays. They look so stupid to me, it would be a cracking guitar.
1. The Trem is not crap if it is set up right. Since RG(low-mid range) Models are affordable, a lot of guitar n00bs buy them and cannot set it up, so it wears improperly and doesn't stay in tune.

2. The Jem555 is THE BIGGEST RIPOFF EVER. An RG350 is the EXACT same thing, but it doesn't have a monkey grip or Evo's. Evo's can be put in for about $200

3. ALL Jem's are basswood, except for the 7V.

4. So if you want a Jem555, Buy an RG350, and put some evo's in it, Other than the fugly half vine, and monkey grip, Its Identical to it, and it will cost you $1000 less.
Quote by FRDesign
1. The Trem is not crap if it is set up right. Since RG(low-mid range) Models are affordable, a lot of guitar n00bs buy them and cannot set it up, so it wears improperly and doesn't stay in tune.

2. The Jem555 is THE BIGGEST RIPOFF EVER. An RG350 is the EXACT same thing, but it doesn't have a monkey grip or Evo's. Evo's can be put in for about $200

3. ALL Jem's are basswood, except for the 7V.

4. So if you want a Jem555, Buy an RG350, and put some evo's in it, Other than the fugly half vine, and monkey grip, Its Identical to it, and it will cost you $1000 less.

You forgot to mention the shark fin inlay looks miles better than the half vine.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, go ahead.

Just realise that the guitar you're getting is nothing but a Korean RG with DiMarzios and a few cosmetic touches, like a cheesy Steve Vai inlay and only half of the vine.

If you're O.K. with paying Prestige prices for non-Prestige guitars, get it...

+1

you can get a 1570 for less (at least here you can).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 555 is the hated offspring of the JEM. I, personally, would never get one. Never ever ever ever never never ever not ever no way no how no whatever you get the point never ever ever ever never ever ever never ever I'm bored waiting for my class never ever ever never ever waffle cakes ever ever never ever ever ever ever ever never these nevers and evers and grammatically incorrect ever never ever never not to mention this long run-on sentence ever never ever ever never never ever sponge cake ever never never ever.

Just get a Prestige or an old equivalent.
Quote by Serendipity
The 555 is the hated offspring of the JEM. I, personally, would never get one. Never ever ever ever never never ever not ever no way no how no whatever you get the point never ever ever ever never ever ever never ever I'm bored waiting for my class never ever ever never ever waffle cakes ever ever never ever ever ever ever ever never these nevers and evers and grammatically incorrect ever never ever never not to mention this long run-on sentence ever never ever ever never never ever sponge cake ever never never ever.

Just get a Prestige or an old equivalent.

You made me laugh, i like you.
Quote by dogismycopilot
You made me laugh, i like you.

And I like you because your name is Dog is my co-pilot.
dont get one.get a rg for the same price cos it wud be much better
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
money is an issue, and looks are also important, being a live performer i would like something that looks good and sounds good, and i personally love the jem7v, unfortunately i dont have 3 grand to pay for it. the only real problem with the 555 that i heard is that the trem is bad, i could easily replace it with an edge pro, i just wanted to see other opinions on the TREM not the vine inlays or value, also i happen to like the vine inlays, and dont care for sharktooth
Last edited by Wylde14 at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by Wylde14
money is an issue, and looks are also important, being a live performer i would like something that looks good and sounds good

Of course you do, but if money is an issue, why pay hundreds of dollars just for Steve's name and some cheap cosmetic touches?

Quote by Wylde14
and i personally love the jem7v, unfortunately i dont have 3 grand to pay for it.

Then how about a Prestige RG; there are plenty of nice looking ones and if you want good looks and kickass colours, check out some older Japanese ones (used).

Quote by Wylde14
the only real problem with the 555 that i heard is that the trem is bad, i could easily replace it with an edge pro,

You can't swap them for an Edge Pro (not without routing at least). The best retro fit trem is an OFR, but do you have the money to buy one?

Quote by Wylde14
i just wanted to see other opinions on the TREM not the vine inlays or value, also i happen to like the vine inlays, and dont care for sharktooth

The trem is nothing like the trem on the 7V, or the RG Prestige guitars, or even the standard S series.

With a good setup, it will last for a while, but if you want a trem that's going to withstand abuse for ages, look elsewhere.

So in conclusion, if you want to pay the extra for a Korean RG with a monkey grip, a sloppy inlay and DiMarzio's, this is the ideal guitar for you!

By the way, it's great you like the vine inlay and I have to say it's very nice, but I hope you like it as much when it's only half of it, laid into the board by an underpaid Korean worker.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 26, 2007,
definately, the half inlay sucks compared to the full one, plus the gold hardware looks much cooler