I've really begun to like the jazz fusion and smooth jazz genres, and I would also like to write my own music in that style. The thing is, I have no idea where to start. I know the minor pentatonic is used quite a bit, and like alll jazz there's a lot of modulation.
The music played over the speakers at toronto Int'l airport is smooth jazz that just doesn't end, i love it

No, wait, I think it's at O'Hare in chicago where smooth jazz is played endlessly...
Last edited by mart69 at Oct 25, 2007,
Step 1: Play Jazz
Step 2: Play Jazz but with electric instruments. This is fusion.
Alternate Step 2: Play Jazz but don't create any tension. This is smooth jazz.
Heh, okay. Also, is it "acceptable" to have a jazz song that doesn't change keys?
isn't ii V I diatonic?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
A lot of bebop is just ii-Vs or V-Is or ii-V-Is with different key centers each time around. The ii-V-I itself is diatonic it's just that when there's a new one every bar you get lost quick if you don't know your way around.
Quote by Spamwise
Heh, okay. Also, is it "acceptable" to have a jazz song that doesn't change keys?

Yep, smooth jazz doesn't change keys that often. A good amount of jazz songs don't either.
Yeah often you won't get full blown modulation in a song, but tonicisation where a new key centre is suggested maybe through ii-V patterns or some such.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by jasonmetal love
Yep, smooth jazz doesn't change keys that often. A good amount of jazz songs don't either.

okay then. i've been writing a couple jazz songs, and I thought I was being lazy because I didn't feel the need to modulate much or at all.
Well, I'm going to say one really obvious advice...

Why don't you simply analyze some of your favorite smooth jazz and jazz fusion, jump over to the Jazz&Blues forum and explore a little bit?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
i don't know that many jazz fusion/smooth jazz artists, and the ones i do have no tabs. The only way I'm able to tab out by ear right now is just taking my guitar and playing notes until I find the right one.
If you're interested in Jazz, you'll be learning songs either from sheet (notation! huzzah!) or by ear.

Tab is right out.
well yeah i just have gotten in the habit of calling sheet music and tableture "tab". My teacher's given me some cool jazz songs (Fly by night by Lee ritenour, and Joy Spring by Cliford Brown), but I don't have any jazz solos. (He didn't give me the solo for "fly by night)
For most jazz you're going to get a lead sheet anyway (melody + changes)

specific arrangements, voicings, or solos you'll have to dig deeper for. Scope out publishers, see what they offer - you won't find that much online.