Page 1 of 2
My budget for my first electric guitar is around $300-500, and after a ton of research I've finally narrowed my selection down to one guitar unless of course you guys suggest something else, which I would very much appreciate if you happen to know of anything.

Here is what I have decided on:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

I absolutely am going to get it in black, no doubt about that--I love black guitars!

The problem is, I don't know whether to get the fretboard in maple or rosewood. This is a huge purchase for me so I don't want to make a mistake and regret it later on.

Personally I think the black guitar with maple fretboard doesn't look that great, but the maple does look good with other colors such as white.

Since I am determined to get the black guitar, which would you choose; maple or rosewood? I've heard that there is a slight difference in sound, quality, and some other things as well. I am a newb, so please help me out, lol.
It's mainly a matter of preference IMO, but some people think Maple is "twangier" and Rosewood is "mellower and smoother."
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Quote by TheReFiller
It's mainly a matter of preference IMO, but some people think Maple is "twangier" and Rosewood is "mellower and smoother."

That is interesting information. See, I am such a newb right now that I can't really tell the difference between the two--I've played them both, but I can't really tell.

Isn't the MIM strat kind of bright to begin with, so the rosewood would kind of balance things out or am I wrong?
It's just preference. The tonal impact, in the grand scheme of things, is negligible. As above, maple, since it's denser, is a bit brighter, whereas rosewood is generally a bit warmer. But again, the difference is slight, if perceptible at all. So no, you shouldn't expect a rosewood fretboard on a Strat to make it appreciably warmer. One thing you'll notice is that they feel a bit different, since rosewood is unfinished and maple is sealed.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm not sure on the difference of wood, but i believe mine is maple, and it sounds great, not really twangy at all. My guitar, by the way, is that exact guitar except mine is brown sunburst.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Quote by Dirk Gently
It's just preference. The tonal impact, in the grand scheme of things, is negligible. As above, maple, since it's denser, is a bit brighter, whereas rosewood is generally a bit warmer. One thing you'll notice is that they feel a bit different, since rosewood is unfinished and maple is sealed.

I see...if you or any of you other members on this board were to get the same guitar I am wanting to get in black, which would you choose, maple or rosewood?

Even though you guys say it is preference, I value your people's opinions, and would like to know this : )
i dont like rosewood because it feels to hard and really sharp and sound wise i think the maple has a softer tone, more round, but this is me
member of the fender armada. PM mr_hankey or hendriko to join

cuz fender is awxome its true
i strongly prefer maple to rosewood, but i just got this weird polyfiber fretboard and its really kickin'

maple is smoother for slides and such, has a slightly, almost unaudible brighter tone. if you heard two recordings of guitars, you wouldnt be able to tell if it was rose/maple.

rosewood is nice though, its got a nice soft feel to it almost.
You will soon learn that the color, of course, will not affect your guitar in any way. Also, the maple necks and the rosewoods are as different as night and day, but since you are new to the guitar I guess it wouldn't really matter. The necks do feel a bit different, but I don't even feel like explaining the qualities of both right now because it isn't even going to matter to you anyway. Actaully I don't know why I wrote anything at all. Good luck with Iron Man and then hey...maybe you can try the bass?
Quote by C&C Magik
I'm not sure on the difference of wood, but i believe mine is maple, and it sounds great, not really twangy at all. My guitar, by the way, is that exact guitar except mine is brown sunburst.

Awesome man!!! How do you like the guitar?
i like rosewood only because thats all ive ever owned. ive played guitars with maple necks and they are just as nice but it seems rosewood is just more tride and true.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by Wilson6
You will soon learn that the color, of course, will not affect your guitar in any way. Also, the maple necks and the rosewoods are as different as night and day, but since you are new to the guitar I guess it wouldn't really matter. The necks do feel a bit different, but I don't even feel like explaining the qualities of both right now because it isn't even going to matter to you anyway. Actaully I don't know why I wrote anything at all. Good luck with Iron Man and then hey...maybe you can try the bass?

I would love to hear the differences--jeez, you seem so upset. Everyone has to start out at the beginning. It's like you are mad at me for being new to the guitar or something...

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - Lao Tzu
Quote by spoonylove90
i like rosewood only because thats all ive ever owned. ive played guitars with maple necks and they are just as nice but it seems rosewood is just more tride and true.

Why is it all that you have ever owned though? What made you attracted to the rosewood in the first place?
lol have fun with iron man, ive been playing for liek 3 years now and am in a band and still dont know iron man:P, Fender Stratocaster, way to be original what next sunburst or black LP? anyways, since your a newb it doesnt really matter at all, when your able to notice teh difference the strat will be long gone anyways,
SCALD
Quote by Phill-Rock
That, or being absolutely broke - though you always find money for cigarettes, then end up even more broke.

so true ^.

Quote by smb
I think it's a type of fish.

PM me for GP5
Even though you guys say it is preference, I value your people's opinions, and would like to know this : )

HAHAHA! You are a newb if you value UGrs opnions, but personally i prefer the rosewood, i like that warmer tone better. but thats my personal preference- depenced on what music you like- for me, i like play jazz (warmer tone), classical (a little- but warmer tone),metal (yes it is a warmer tone, its the distrotion you're hearing not the guitar), and classic rock and blues- in which the warm tone is fine, but no better than the twang.

If you're gonna play punk or something, it doesn't matter because most punk rock guitarists suck ass (with the exception of dan book of voodoo blue)
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by guitargod21136

HAHAHA! You are a newb if you value UGrs opnions, but personally i prefer the rosewood, i like that warmer tone better. but thats my personal preference- depenced on what music you like- for me, i like play jazz (warmer tone), classical (a little- but warmer tone),metal (yes it is a warmer tone, its the distrotion you're hearing not the guitar), and classic rock and blues- in which the warm tone is fine, but no better than the twang.

If you're gonna play punk or something, it doesn't matter because most punk rock guitarists suck ass (with the exception of dan book of voodoo blue)

Hmm, sounds like rosewood because I plan on playing a lot of metal--bands such as: Nightwish, Kalmah, As I Lay Dying, etc.
i think its a little funny that your first guitar is going to be a 300-500$ guitar. my new guitar is not going to be over 400 and thats after a year of amazing transformation from playing iron man and smoke on the water to stuff like cowboys from hell, bark at the moon. but really all i ever do is make my own stuff. but theres absolutely no reason in getting a guitar that good for your first, unless im mistaken and you've played acoustic before? ever heard of kona guitars? yeah i didnt think so ive had this beater for almost a year and you can get a solid chord out of it. but i still play it fine through a marshall mg amp.(lol dont you feel sorry) it helps to get a sucky guitar. theres honestly no reason to get a 400$ guitar. you dont even know if you have any type of knack for it. if your fingers can handle it, or if you have the time to practice.Me? i practice 3 hours a day and i haven't even played for a year, but i sure as hell have a knack for it. just save money for a second guitar if you get that far
^ That's dumb advice. You should start with the best guitar you can reasonably afford. There's no reason to suffer with something that's potentially a piece of crap if you don't have to.

If you want to play metal, then perhaps a Strat wouldn't be the best guitar for you. Just a thought. The single coils aren't as condusive to getting the "metal" tone as would be humbuckers.

I've owned both a rosewood fretboard and maple fretboard Strat. I prefer maple. I just like the feel a bit more and it's easier to clean/maintain.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 25, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ If you want to play metal, then perhaps a Strat wouldn't be the best guitar for you. Just a thought. The single coils aren't as condusive to getting the "metal" tone as would be humbuckers.

I've owned both a rosewood fretboard and maple fretboard Strat. I prefer maple. I just like the feel a bit more and it's easier to clean/maintain.

I had no idea about this, do you have any suggestions of other models to look into that would be good for metal? There are so many guitars out there, I don't even know where to begin. I've heard a few mention that Schecters
were good for metal...

It is true that the strat is a good overall guitar that can play a wide variety of music, but not amazing in a certain style, right?
^ No, I wouldn't say that's true. The Strat is an amazing guitar for blues, country, classic rock, and styles requiring great cleans or a bit more bite. It just doesn't do heavy distortion well because of the single coil pickups.

Check out what brands your favorite artists are using. That's one way of getting closer to that sound. Schecter makes decent, affordable guitars. Other brands that metal players usually gravitate towards are ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, even Epiphone, would be good places to start.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ No, I wouldn't say that's true. The Strat is an amazing guitar for blues, country, classic rock, and styles requiring great cleans or a bit more bite. It just doesn't do heavy distortion well because of the single coil pickups.

Check out what brands your favorite artists are using. That's one way of getting closer to that sound. Schecter makes decent, affordable guitars. Other brands that metal players usually gravitate towards are ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, even Epiphone, would be good places to start.

Thank you so much for all of this information--you have helped me so much!!!
^ That's going to be better than the Strat, IMO, for what you want. You should try a couple out first. Les Pauls are usually heavier than other guitars.

Just out of curiosity, how much have you allocated towards an amp?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Just out of curiosity, how much have you allocated towards an amp?

Unfortunately not a dang thing : (

I probably won't even be able to get an amp for a little while...
Well there's also standard HSS (Humbucker and 2 single coils) strats. I listened to a few of them on YouTube and it made a good metal sound.

\
*So you're gonna buy the guitar first without an amp?
Last edited by Steel8909 at Oct 25, 2007,
If you have $70-100 left over from your purchase, you can get yourself a small practice amp to start with. A Marshall MG10CD would run you about $60-70. It really would just be something to get you by until you could afford something better. Besides, learning how to play is more about technique than tone.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Steel8909
Well there's also standard HSS (Humbucker and 2 single coils) strats. I listened to a few of them on YouTube and it made a good metal sound.

\
*So you're gonna buy the guitar first without an amp?

Yes, lol, unless you or anyone else know of one I can get for less than $50 or so. $100 would be the maximum, but it will probably be a few weeks before I can get one.

edit-

Nvm, guy above me answered question!
I wouldnt buy the Mg if I were you. If you can afford something better within a few weeks you might as well wait. Besides Mg is really crummy lol
Quote by Steel8909
I wouldnt buy the Mg if I were you. If you can afford something better within a few weeks you might as well wait. Besides Mg is really crummy lol

Have anything in particular in mind? Also, do cords come with the guitars, or do I need to buy cords as well?
yeah strats r better for more classic rock/ bluesy stuff- but if u want a metal guitar i suggest an ibanez, schecter, esp, jackson, dean, and not many people know about this company- but parker guitars- you can find a Parker PM20 on ebay for around 350. i own one, fantastic- it has these things were you can adjust the tone- rock/blues/country/jazz/clean/ on the guitar (note: its not effects, it what you shouild have on while playing with those effects) great necks. i play it for metal and it works fine

but a strat is a guitar that you really can't go wrong with- pretty good for most styles- but if you're mainly interested in metal, it may not be the guitar for you

it will never hurt to have one in the future shouid u decide to persue guitar for a long time
PM BlackicN to join

PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
You'll need to buy a cord. A ten footer should be fine. Should run you under $20. I use Whirlwind. Ernie Ball also makes a good cheap cord.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ How many have you owned?

I played my cousin's and it's not very nice.
hm... i can't really help u there in the amp department vary well, other than a little marshall practice amp- ive known some guitarists who got bored just because they didn't SOUND like a rockstar (stupid). But an amp is important, but i wouldnt worry about a nice one unless ur sure about this. use your imagination for now lol
PM BlackicN to join

PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by Dirk Gently
You'll need to buy a cord. A ten footer should be fine. Should run you under $20. I use Whirlwind. Ernie Ball also makes a good cheap cord.

Dang man, you have helped me out A LOT--thank you so much good sir!

So, I need these things and I will be ready to rock: guitar (haha), amp, and cable? Just want to make sure I am not missing some small thing that I may not be aware of.
You should also get picks, if you want to learn how to play with them rather than with your fingers. An extra set of strings should be purchased as well, since you'll probably break at least one. You should also get a small electronic tuner. You can tune using other things, but unless you have an ear for pitch, they're often difficult for a beginner to use. A gig bag or case should be an early investment, too, if you don't get one with your guitar. A strap is helpful if you want to learn how to play standing. But the guitar, cord, and amp are the only things you really "need."

As far as the MG goes, for a cheap amp it's better than it's competition. I've been playing guitar for almost...12 years now? I picked up an MG10CD as a cheap amp to use at church. It's really not that bad. It's not like he's going to be gigging out with it. If people buy the small ones with the idea that it's going to just be for bedroom practice, there's nothing wrong with them. And they sound considerably better than small practice amps by Fender, Crate, or Peavey.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
Nope, but for a cheap amp it's better than it's competition. I've been playing guitar for almost...12 years now? I picked up an MG10CD as a cheap amp to use at church. It's really not that bad. It's not like he's going to be gigging out with it. If people buy the small ones with the idea that it's going to just be for bedroom practice, there's nothing wrong with them. And they sound considerably better than small practice amps by Fender, Crate, or Peavey.

Sounds like it should work for me as I plan to just play in the bedroom, or in my garage until I get good, which will be a while, lol. I really don't need anything big and super nice at this point, but I would like it to sound somewhat decent.
If you're just starting, nothing you play is going to sound decent. I could give you my rig and you'd sound like crap. Nothing personal. But yeah, read my edit above. You should at least get:

Guitar
Cable
Amp
Picks
Tuner
Strings
Hi, I'm Peter
Don't forget the smaller accessories. You probably want some picks and a tuner.

Edit: ^wow i was slow
Page 1 of 2