if there's any woodwind players, do you guys know if plastic reeds are any good? and which one do you need to get (soft med hard) if you play on a 3- 3 1/2 reed?

thanks in advance.
They last forever but don't sound as good as wooden reed. 3 is a good medium softness.
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
Plastic reeds sound like they would sound like crap. I never liked saxophone because of the reeds and how easy they broke.
yeah, they sound a different, not the sound you want.
stick with wooden
even if it "seems" like you have to replace them a lot,
you really dont do it that often
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
iunno i have to replace a wooden reed about every 5-7 days and it costs usually 20-30 dollars for vandorens a BOX of tens...any other options?

edit: on that last quote...lol using a reed for 2-3 months doesnt seem appealing to me and its bad for tone.

i play alto sax by the way.
Last edited by Kurt123 at Oct 25, 2007,
My teacher once gave me a plastic reed - but eventually the tip warped and it didn't work well anymore. So no, they don't last forever. They don't have the warmth and soul that wooden reads do.

Just stick with your VanDoren's :] Mine manage to last me about a month or so... mostly cuz I'm pretty bad with practicing. Hehe *shame*
we know a place no spaceships go
The plasticovers aren't too bad. They are reed covered in a plastic coating. The only real issue with plasticovers is that the paint chips after a while and yo uf ind black crap in your mouth.

The legere synth reeds are pretty good. But for concerts I'd use real reed. For pep/marching I'd just use a good legere reed, cheap reeds.

No one really cares about tone in pep band or marching band. In concert band, real reed is best.

And no reeds are NOT wood. So stop calling them wooden reeds. There's no such thing. Reeds are made from exactly that. REED, NOT WOOD
ya ive never used plastic reeds before, but if ther cheaper then mayb just use them to practice, but for performing use real
Quote by rage6945
girls dont get braces in their vaginas buddy
I can't help you on this one. I play the greatest marching instrument in the world. The Trumpet. First chair, ftw!!!!!
When the music's over, turn out the lights.

Quote by pencap
i fingerd my girl the other day she got so wet nearly my entier hand was soked after that i ate her up, she blacked out it was awesome
Ewwww, Baritone ftw!!!

Have you heard the joke about the trumpet player complaining about his arms to the contra player?
C-Net represent! Trumpet players usually are self-centered and Baritones think they're so much better because their instrument weighs more. Although it is fun to see someone holding a Baritone with shoes tied to the end because they couldn't hold their regular horn .

Quote by Kimby
My teacher once gave me a plastic reed - but eventually the tip warped and it didn't work well anymore. So no, they don't last forever. They don't have the warmth and soul that wooden reads do.

Just stick with your VanDoren's :] Mine manage to last me about a month or so... mostly cuz I'm pretty bad with practicing. Hehe *shame*

Dude. . .I've used two reeds during marching band season which is about four months. The first one I started using before the season started; what do you do to your reeds?!
My tounge doesn't like wooden reeds, but I really like playing clarinet.

Any advice?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!