Hi everyone, I am new around here. I've just recently a Schecter Omen 6, and I wasn't really happy with the fact that the action on it is high as it came with 10s installed making it difficult to play bar chords and shred. I installed 9 gauge strings on it and setting it up exactly according to Fender's setup us specs (neck relief, string action), and I encountered excessive buzz on the first fret only on the wound strings. (Schecter doesn't have any set up specs on their site)

My question is really what are good action and neck relief guidelines that make the guitar fairly easy to fret and not buzz at the same time?

Also, while the guitar's string-thru body provides excellent sustain, the notes on the 24th fret (2nd octave) have sustain of approx. 3 seconds. What would cause and/or remedy this? Is it a normal occurance?

Any info is wellcome,
thanks!
You might have to raise the action just a bit, enough so all notes are clear and have good sustain, it not, check your truss rod, make sure it has good bow and isn't messing anything up.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
You might have to raise the action just a bit, enough so all notes are clear and have good sustain, it not, check your truss rod, make sure it has good bow and isn't messing anything up.

Thanks for the reply

I set the neck relief (bow) to the clearance of 1/64" at the 8th fret (fist and last fret depressed) as suggested by Fender and Gibson info. Should I elevate the bridge instead?

Thanks!
No luck yet.... I increased the action to 3mm (as opposed two recommened 2mm) and still buzzing on the first fret... I wandering if the frets need to be polished.

Thanks anyways guys.