fret hand only squeal kinda thing? like how dimebag did it. he has the natural harmonic fretted, and he plucks the string with his fretting hand.

(god how do i know about this...)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^what he said
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
lots and lots of jack daniels
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
For lack of a better way to say this, he catches the harmonic and just does a vibrato. If I had a way to record a quick video I could show it to you man. Unfortunately, I'm damn near useless lol.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Wow wtf. I like Zakk but why so many harmonics? That got really annoying.
Quote by bknife
Wow wtf. I like Zakk but why so many harmonics? That got really annoying.

Have you ever seen a video of him playing before? That's like all he does.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
I agreed, when I watched that on VH1, I was thinking attention ***** lmao.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Yeah, I heard he records his guitar parts beforehand and just mimes onstage.

Well, at least he records them himself...

And seriously, in the video, I'm almost sure it's not him. It sounds like a pinch harmonic, which requires both hands. But he has his picking hand in the air, and such a harmonic cannot be produced Dime-wise.
Don't you have to have a floyd rose to do the Dime Squeal? sry if im wrong XD
maybe it's video footage from a different time of the concert, people do this frequently, too. take video footage from the concert that doesn't fit to the audio and put it under it, just because it looks badass or whatever.
Wow, i've seen this before, but didn't watch very close. It seems that he's off all over the place, but the drummer is on. I'd say it's either shoddy editing, or Zakk is a hand syncher. And by the way, his version of this song doesn't even come close to what Jake E Lee did on the original. His solo is WEAK compared to Jake's. If he did synch it, wow, he could have done way better. I like Zakk's tone and style alot, but the PH's do start to wear on you. ALOT.
he picks it and then raises his hand while he adds vibrato
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by stebbic
Don't you have to have a floyd rose to do the Dime Squeal? sry if im wrong XD

You can do it Jake E. Lee style by bending the neck, like Zakk sometimes does. I kinda think thats what he's doing in this vid.

EDIT: That is, providing its synced right, which Im kinda doubting.

EDEIT 2: In fact, I bet thats canned. Sounds like he's using a wah on the solo, but I don't see a wah on stage. Granted, he could of been playing it live, but for us its synced. Even if its recording on the board, that wouldn't explain why Ozzy's voice has a fair amount of reverb on it while the guitar is pretty dry.
Last edited by CJRocker at Oct 26, 2007,
I don't like Zakk's tone. Sounds like plastic. No make sense.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by CJRocker
You can do it Jake E. Lee style by bending the neck, like Zakk sometimes does. I kinda think thats what he's doing in this vid.

The closet thing to those Dimebag squeels without a trem would be Mattias Eklundh's way of playing natural harmonics by slapping the string with a part of his finger (although he does occasionally use a trem to help with this).

Quote by CJRocker
EDIT: That is, providing its synced right, which Im kinda doubting.

It looks to be off at some points, but as mentioned before this could be because this is live playing from one concert, pasted over video footage of another one. Also, the audio and video might be from the same show, but just not synced right (at least in some places).

Quote by CJRocker
EDEIT 2: In fact, I bet thats canned. Sounds like he's using a wah on the solo, but I don't see a wah on stage. Granted, he could of been playing it live, but for us its synced. Even if its recording on the board, that wouldn't explain why Ozzy's voice has a fair amount of reverb on it while the guitar is pretty dry.

As for the wah, it might be an auto wah or maybe even more likely is that he has a tech using the wah for him at some points. Many artists wander away from their pedal board at some point during the gig and depend on their tech for all the switching. As an example The Edge from U2 has an exact duplicate of his on stage board in the backstage area.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by ECistheBest
fret hand only squeal kinda thing? like how dimebag did it. he has the natural harmonic fretted, and he plucks the string with his fretting hand.

In the video I saw that he picked the string then lifted his hand up in the air - or yeah, ECisthebest could be correct.
Quote by ECistheBest

no, cuz he made some bends in the harmonic, and you cant do that in the natural hamonic whitout a whammy bar
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
no, cuz he made some bends in the harmonic, and you cant do that in the natural hamonic whitout a whammy bar

Neck bends, behind the nut bends, bending in between the two pieces of a tune-o-matic or detuning the strings.

I didn't see him do any of those, but it is possible
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Neck bends, behind the nut bends, bending in between the two pieces of a tune-o-matic or detuning the strings.

I didn't see him do any of those, but it is possible

i didnt see him either, and if he tried to bend the neck, he would have moved the guitar cuz he wasnt holding it from the body
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by CJRocker
that wouldn't explain why Ozzy's voice has a fair amount of reverb on it while the guitar is pretty dry.

no man, thats cuz Ozzy controls his reverb from the speakers his voice is coming from and Zakk's reverb is from his amp, not the same speaker Ozzy´z voice comes from
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by ldnovelo
no man, thats cuz Ozzy controls his reverb from the speakers his voice is coming from and Zakk's reverb is from his amp, not the same speaker Ozzy´z voice comes from

Ozzy's reverb sounded like a concern hall, like what they were in. Like a speaker was miced. Zakks sounded like he was running an amp into the board. Thats what I meant.