I have a spider III 75w and I think it sounds like crap. My guitar is a basic Ibanez, but it is not the problem; I have played it elsewhere and it sounds pretty good. My question is do these amps really just suck that bad or is there a pedal that one of you has that make it sound good for Metallica, Rage, Pearl Jam, STP and that type of music?

Now I know that there will be some dumbf*** come on here and say "spider sucks" just to be a pain in the ass but I have a serious question here. Serious questions deserve serious answers.
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.
dude... i have the same thing... all of the presets it comes with are ****, you just gotta play around with it and make your own. i have some pretty ****ing intense ones that sound amazing
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
pedals wont help that amp im sorry you need to purchase a new one

you tell us that you know someone is gonna be a dumb **** and say it sucks, and then you ask, does my amp really suck? LOL
Quote by masterk1818
U cant use pedals on spiders unless they are line 6 pedals, Im sorry

wait im not sure about spider 3's, i know when i had the spider 2 pedals wouldn't work with it unless they were from line 6

you have no clue what your talking about
any pedal will work with any amp
maybe you just set your amp up wrong?.. or are you using pedals with your amp and they don't sound good through it. Cause Spider III has effects so you don't really need pedals too much, my friend has the same amp and I thought it sounded pretty good. I'm not sure how the presets are cause I didn't get to play around with it too much. I'm pretty sure the setting he had it on was his own and I liked how it sounded.
"I play guitar" - Me
Pedals -> Modeling Amp = Crap. Just sell it and get something else. Not worth your time to put pedals in front of it. Just not worth it

you have no clue what your talking about
any pedal will work with any amp

Yeah.
Quote by Swat Man
pedals wont help that amp im sorry you need to purchase a new one

you tell us that you know someone is gonna be a dumb **** and say it sucks, and then you ask, does my amp really suck? LOL

lol i was talking about some idiot who has not ever played a spider more than one time coming on here and just saying they suck because they hate the name.

the opinion i was looking for was not from the stupid person, i was looking for someone who owns this amp to help me a little bit.
Quote by burrit0
Quote by masterk1818
no i had a pedal that wouldn't work with the spider 2 amp, and im pretty sure most pedals dont work with the spider 2 amp

I do know what im talking about, I believe you are the one who doesn't know what your talking about

Sigged
Quote by masterk1818
U cant use pedals on spiders unless they are line 6 pedals, Im sorry

wait im not sure about spider 3's, i know when i had the spider 2 pedals wouldn't work with it unless they were from line 6

huh??? lol.

there's one thing u can do!!!
tell ur guitar shop's guy "i want a pedal by a manufacturer called 'new amp'. i really need it. my amp is a piece of ****."

then u got a pathway to tone heaven. at least a pathway.

Quote by masterk1818
no i had a pedal that wouldn't work with the spider 2 amp, and im pretty sure most pedals dont work with the spider 2 amp

I do know what im talking about, I believe you are the one who doesn't know what your talking about

i actually lol'ed.
and yes, this must be sigged people.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by masterk1818

thats like saying fender amps only work with fender guitars
^dude pedals are not computers man... u don't need that initial setup **** to go with it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by masterk1818

On topic, TS, I would just bite the bullet and save for a new amp. Pedals aren't going to make an already crappy amp sound that much better.
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192

On topic, TS, I would just bite the bullet and save for a new amp. Pedals aren't going to make an already crappy amp sound that much better.

And by save up for a new amp you (should) mean, don't buy another cheap SS amp that is only slightly better than the spider. Go for an all out tone machine.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
like?

i dont really want to spend more than $500 especially since my last little investment turned out as crappy as it did. I understand that to get a great product you have to spend alot, but $500 is alot for me.
Quote by burrit0
get a fender blues junior if your into classic rock and blues.. and just get pedals lol.
you can get a blues jr from guitar center i talked the guy there to 400 bucks. its usually 450
Quote by ibnz
like?

i dont really want to spend more than $500 especially since my last little investment turned out as crappy as it did. I understand that to get a great product you have to spend alot, but $500 is alot for me.

Get a Tube amp then!
Putting a pedal in front of a Spider is like putting a kleenex over a gaping flesh wound. Hmmm.

I'd save for a nice tube amp. A Crate V8 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V8-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825) plus a nice OD (or a Metal Muff if you like heavier things) woult put you in vastly superior tonal spaces, for around $300. Keep the extra $200 for a car or something.
there is ONE pedal.. as such, that will help your spider, i think it's called a detonator or something
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
SPIDERS SUCK, DUDE! Just kidding. Put any pedal in front of your amp's clean channel, and it should pretty much sound like the pedal, shouldn't it? I think Storm_Bringer may be referring to the "Demonizer," although I'm not really permitted to say that here anymore, but since Storm_Bringer, I think, was trying to say that anyway, maybe it's okay to say within a reply to his post?

But, hell, dude, for $500, you could get an AWESOME-sounding preamp, but I think I've talked about THAT too much here, too (it starts with the letter 'E'). Again, I only mention THAT again, because the TS said he had $500, and those things are almost exactly $500. Lots cheaper than a Recto or Rocktron or whatever. Don't worry—there's still hope!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 26, 2007,
^ no, i was referring to putting dynamite in his amp and stomping on the detonator.

KABOOM
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ no, i was referring to putting dynamite in his amp and stomping on the detonator.

KABOOM
Oh. Crap! Now, I'm really in trouble with the mods! NEVERMIND! CRAP, CRAP, CRAP! All I seem to do here is piss off mods! I'm just trying to help!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by LEVEL4
Oh. Crap! Now, I'm really in trouble with the mods! NEVERMIND! CRAP, CRAP, CRAP! All I seem to do here is piss off mods! I'm just trying to help!

No you're not, Relax man.

So far in this thread you've done nothing to deserve a punishment.
Spider 3 - 75 watt owner here.

1. The presets are crap, you do much better fiddling on your own. There's a built in gain boost and noise gate, learn how to use them.

2. A pedal wont' do anything for the tinny cleans.

I've discovered that by turning the gain on the amp all the way down and using a good distortion pedal does improve it's sound for metal. I'm using a Digitech Metal Master in this way and I get a servicable tone. A lot of people will tell you you can get a much better amp for the money and they are right. But on the otherhand, you can get much better tones by understanding how to set it up correctly.