Just a question about using pedals...

I play my SG through a Crate SS Practice Amp and recently tried making use of a Distortion Pedal. The pedal did give me more gain, but no matter how many knobs I turned (only has Level, Low, Mid, High on it) my tone just sounded too treble-y and cheap-sounding.

This is only some cheap generic "Death Metal Distortion" Pedal, so if I were to upgrade to, say, Electroharmonix Metal Muff pedal...would my tone be a lot better? Or would my problems be better solved if I just had a good amp?
metal muff w/ top boost?

those would be even more treblier.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Turn up the bass on the pedal and the amp and turn down the treble on the pedal and the amp. And make sure you're on the clean channel.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
IMO, all non-tube pedals sound that way (RATs, Big Muffs, Metal Zones, etc.). I don't think there's any "fix." Try the Damage Control pedals. They all have dual-12AX7 tubes in them (the same tubes as my Engl preamp—and that thing sounds AWESOME). Get the DC Womanizer for blues. Solid Metal for . . . (guess what?) metal. Demonizer for direct-recording applications, which you may use as either a preamp DI, or as a pedal in front of your amp.

Since I bought an Engl E530 preamp (which has gain up the ass), I stopped looking for my Metal Zone that I have packed away. I returned my Line 6 Uber Metal. And of all the non-tube pedals I've tried, analog or digital, the Uber pedal sounded the best to my ears, and had the most variation in tone. It was actually pretty good, but it still sounded "thin" and "treble-ey" in a mix no matter where I set the dials. Anyway, now that I have a tube-based preamp, I NEVER need to use another "distortion" pedal again. I have gain up the ASS, yet I still have all my tone! The DC pedals sound awfully good on the YouTube demos I've heard, and I bet they sound nearly as good as my Engl (or possibly, even better!).

Oh yeah, and if you use any distortion device in front of your amp, you want to try to run it through the clean channel, like jthm said.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 26, 2007,
level4, can u stop spamming about damage control pedals??? i mean, its cool... but i think Rats and Fuzzes sound full and not that trebly with the right settings...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
level4, can u stop spamming about damage control pedals??? i mean, its cool... but i think Rats and Fuzzes sound full and not that trebly with the right settings...
Well, I didn't mean to spam. I just thought it would benefit a lot of people if they knew about them. Have you ever heard a DC pedal, or at least auditioned the demos? I certainly had never heard of them until someone finally mentioned a DC pedal in one thread I created. One thread, among MANY others, basically asking the same question . . .

I mean, it took me so long to find out about the DC pedals, let alone the Engl preamp. After countless threads and posts here, I had to finally learn about Engl from an old friend that I used to play with in high school that I happened to reconnect with on MySpace.

Count the number of threads here which are all basically asking the same thing . . . is that a waste of bandwidth or what? Am I wrong? Every other thread here seems to be asking the "how do I get enough gain in my amp/pick-ups/pedals to do metal" question. Or, the "how do I get good distortion" question. I nearly sh*t my pants when I first received and turned the gains up on my Engl preamp. I just don't think that kind of sound should be such a secret. One could easily spend more than the price of either the Engl or the DC pedals on buying some other assortment of pedals trying to get "that" sound, or spending big bucks on some some lofty valve-amp, yet only be able to get "that" sound with the master volume past '12.'

Now, while I'm at it, I've recently auditioned some of the more popular digital effects units that are often discussed here. And I have to say, their digital distortion is absolutely horrible when compared to a good tube-based unit. I tried to effect those "hard-picked, muted-string" harmonics with one of the more popular ones. Difficult at best. With the Engl, it's repeatable every time.

But, okay, I'll just shut-up from now on about the DC pedals and the Engl.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by LEVEL4
Well, I didn't mean to spam. I just thought it would benefit a lot of people if they knew about them. Have you ever heard a DC pedal, or at least auditioned the demos? I certainly had never heard of them until someone mentioned the DC pedal in one thread I created.

haha well, i've heard it, and they're really rich sounding even through my computer speakers (****) but i never got to try them. my guitar center doesn't carry them, and im into building effects so i don't want to pay for the shipping/handling to get'em in...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, it's all good, EC. I certainly don't mean to piss of the reigning member of the Stratocater Lovers group! I f*ckin' LOVE Stratocasters!

lolz. i guess? i'm kinda liking my guitar plugged in straight into my amp with a 6ft cable hahaha. its better than running my 50ft cable worth of pedals + cables.

my strat shines with short cables.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
LOLZ? Well, hopefully, it's LOL! Listen, EC, I was a HUGE fan of my original Big Muff that I bought way back in 1970-something . . . which of course, I no longer have. I even built some of my own pedals using Craig Anderton's old book. Yup, I actually etched my own circuit boards, and soldered my own discrete components, back in the day. Is it me, or does the NYC Big Muff sound nothing like the original? Does the Russian one sound like the original one?

i've never tried original ones, but certainly, russians are better sounding to me. NYCs get too harsh for my taste. russians are at least creamier than the NYCs.

real Germanium Fuzz Faces are supposed to be really creamy. i'm making one real soon.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard