My Peavey 6505+ tends to make a subtle yet annoying buzzing sound if I have the guitar volume on and I am not playing anything. What should I buy to remedy this?
turn the master volume to 0???

what you can probably do is get quieter tubes. so this leads to a question, what brand tubes do u have in there?

also u might wanna see if u actually getting 120V from ur power outlet ur plugging into. having more or less may increase noise.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Are the tubes dying? Is your guitar properly grounded? Is the cable old?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
i get this too. =\
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
I have a 15 ' Monster gold series lead.
How would I know if my guitar is grounded?
I bought the amp with the tubes about two months ago.
nah monsters should be enough.

what kind of guitar do u have? and did u buy the amp used?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thats bull****, i took my monster cable in to get a new one (warranty) because i get all kinds of buzzing and ive owned it for like 4 or 5 years and the dude was like "there's nothing wrong with it". I told him that you can't hear it if it's on the clean channel and he didn't even bother kicking in any gain. **** Guitar Center.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
^really? i've used one monster cable for 2 years and i haven't had problems...

i don't really play high gain though. so kudos to you sir.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Bought the Amp brand new three months ago.

I use an ESP-MH400 with an EMG 81/85 combo.

The sound gets louder or quieter when I turn the guitar in certain directions.
Last edited by Karg45 at Oct 26, 2007,
If it's not major, it may be normal. That's a pretty common complaint with the 5150/6505, but noise is unfortunately inherent to a lot of the high gain heads in general, nature of the beast. The ISP Decimator is very popular with that amp for good reason.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Karg45
...The sound gets louder or quieter when I turn the guitar in certain directions.

wait, are you just talking about feedback? Do you have flourescent lights on, tv nearby, computer, etc.. ie. sources of EMI? Can you get rid of it by getting farther away from the amp?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
my computer is only a few inches away seperated by my desk. I also have a 23 inch screen 2 feet away from my amplifier. If I turn my fan on, the feed back noise or whatever the **** it is changes pitch. If I have my guitar in diff directions, the sound changed in its volume.
Last edited by Karg45 at Oct 26, 2007,
if it's a crt monitor, try turning it off while you're playing, and see if that helps the noise.
amp clips
amp vids
I just unplugged everything in my room except for the amp and I still got the noise/feedback or whatever. Again, however, if I turn my fan off and on it changes the noise. Keep in mind I can only hear the noise when I don't play anything but the guitar volume is still on. Could this be due to the grounding in my house?
if it goes away with your guitar volume down, it's most likely just normal feedback, or something isn't grounded right with your guitar. Do you have another you can try?
amp clips
amp vids
The dimmer in my room makes my amp buzz when my guitar goes near it.

Are the any light switches or power outlets near your amp? if so, move it away.
Quote by ECistheBest
turn the master volume to 0???

um what
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Try finding "cleaner" power, or use a ground-lifter or power-conditioner. Stay physically away from, and plug into a separate circuit from, any lamp or appliance with a ballast (e.g. flourescent lights) or a motor (e.g. refrigerators). ESPECIALLY stay away from resistive dimmers (Variacs are okay).
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

You could pick up a NS-2 noise gate. You wont regret it at all.

But...to be honest. Alot of amps do have some slight noise when your not playing them so unless it's loud, you should just cope.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Noise gate, if you don't have one. ISP decimator if you could get your hands on it.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore