Page 1 of 2
Do they?

Are they legal? I'm not thinking about starting one or anything, I'm just wondering. I mean, it it should be legal, right? They might be hurting each other, but there's that rule about once someone says stop, the fight is over. And since they agree to fight, it shouldn't be any more illegal than a karate match is...right?
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
rule no. 1
You do not talk about fight club
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
First rule of Fight Club:

We Do Not Talk About Fight Club.

Second rule of Fight Club:

We Do Not Talk About Fight Club.
DUDE i just finished watching that movie.. hahahaha. But yea... Rule #1 and Rule #2. And yes they exist.
For one, I love this album.

Anyways, there are fight clubs. I've heard of them around. Are they legal? I doubt it. You'd have to sign all kindddds of legal documents. They're around though.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
it was on the news a little while ago, about how they're a problem. so yes, they exist, but no they arent legal.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
oh inevitably

its been in a movie, some braindead hick has tried to pull it off.
purple nurple!

Quote by RizzoWashburn
dis meanz yoo can make three p0nx albums!

One that sucks, one that doesn't suck, and one that nobody cares about!
dammit.. this thread is breaking the first 2 rules of fight club
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by hb15577
there are cage fights were guys just go all out at eaxh other

Yeah, but a caged fight and the fight clubs in the movie are different. In the movie, the fight club is like therapy, and if someone starts to seriously get hurt, it's over. In a caged fight people get pummeled.
Gear...
Yes beating the living crap out of someone is legal....

The movie was based on ILLEGAL fight clubs so if similar underground ones did exist of course they'd be illegal.

Then you have cage fights like said above and your standard boxing, karate, UFC etc.
Quote by Mr Montana
Yes beating the living crap out of someone is legal....

The movie was based on ILLEGAL fight clubs so if similar underground ones did exist of course they'd be illegal.

Then you have cage fights like said above and your standard boxing, karate, UFC etc.

and mud wrestling! don't forget about sorority mud wrestling!
I'm a huge Chuck Palahniuk fan, the guy who wrote the book, and he made it all up. However, I was listening to his audiobook of "Stranger Than Fiction: True stories" and he talks abnout some reporters demanding to know where the real fight clubs are and that he should tell them. He said he doesn't know anything about the real ones but they didnt believe him. I'm sure they are real, or some version of it by guys trying to be cool but I doubt they are as brutal as in the book/movie.
No, they are illegal, as it should be... People betting on someone's death... Even dog fight clubs are illegal..
Quote by waldorphPRS41
I'm a huge Chuck Palahniuk fan.

yay! I'm not sure why but I wouldnt have expected many people to have read the book. Have you read any of his other stuff? I love choke, but Lullaby was a big disappointment.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Quote by mfkr
Brad Pitt is gonna come down here and own your ass.

"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by acanadian
DUDE i just finished watching that movie.. hahahaha. But yea... Rule #1 and Rule #2. And yes they exist.

Get him boys!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will not talk about the thing in question but I will say At KArate matches there are doctors!!!!
Quote by dazzler16
Get him boys!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will not talk about the thing in question but I will say At KArate matches there are doctors!!!!

There are doctors at pretty much all sporting events.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
There is actually one in my town.

****ing scary ****.

Keep away from the beach at night... =\
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
the general atmosphere is a resounding "yes" for the question, but i lol'd at the first reply
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by richrawr
There is actually one in my town.

****ing scary ****.

Keep away from the beach at night... =\

Its a bit of a stupid place to have a fight club IMO especially if the police go down the beach, at our beach its pratolled by loads of police.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by Darkshade666
No, they are illegal, as it should be... People betting on someone's death... Even dog fight clubs are illegal..

?

I thought it was just people fighting to vent, and when someone got hurt, the fight stopped? I didn't really read the book though, just kinda skimmed.
Gear...
Quote by Darkshade666

You don't bet on someones death. it's people fighting each other for the pleasure of fighting. no betting is involved and the fight is over once one person wants out
Also guts by Palahniuk is the only thing I've ever read that has made me feel physically sick (slightly queezy in the stomach)
I wouldn't put it past whichever nutjobs saw "Fight Club" to take the movie seriously and start their own fight clubs, so those probably exist.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I'm sure there are fight clubs.
I can totally imagine people getting totally engrossed in that entire anarchist mindset that Fight Club thrived upon and doing all kinds of stupid ****.

We live in a pretty screwed up world, so you can't really rule anything out.
Fight Club is an excellent movie. I'm doing it in my HSC paper for English Extension 1. Excellent postmodernism film.

To answer your question, yes, there does exist such clubs as similar to the movie where they meet and beat each other until one voluntarily calls a submission. It's basically UFC without an audience. They are around.

Oh ****, I'm breaking Rule 1 and 2!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by acanadian

.....That was THE most most absent minded post I've ever seen since the "I need lies" thread last night.

And, no. They do not exist. Do NO go to New York and look for random bars called "Babdino's" and try looking for one.

>_>

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
fight clubs exist, i believe its mainly for gambling purposes.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I once witnessed one by hasard, but I believe they've probably stopped by now as some guy got injured that night. As for whether it's legal or not I could go and check my law notes... but I think you can give your consent to someone injuring you, although that is by far not the only condition to hold a fight club...
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
Quote by im_hungry
UFC/other MMA has rules , it isn't a street fight in a cage.

Yes Mixed Martial Arts has quite a few rules, I used to do it.

UFC has rules that are quite universal though. Even though a fight club really has no strict protocol about methods you can make your opponent submit (just stopping when they do immediately), no-one would actually gouge or rake eyes to win a fight. Its cowardice and malpractice.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
i have a fight club in my school, between periods we start moshing and stuff... but we dont actually physically hurt anyone
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by Fumbles
Also guts by Palahniuk is the only thing I've ever read that has made me feel physically sick (slightly queezy in the stomach)

That story was soooooooo ****ed up...

Quote by Mr Montana

Actually, the movie was based on a book, which wasn't based on illegal fight clubs. Chuck Palahniuk, the author, thought of the concept, although they may or may not have existed without his knowledge.

And yes, people have tried to start fight clubs. I don't know about the legality of it.
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Oct 26, 2007,
Yes, in my town there are 2 of them that I know of. Both behind restaurants, one is made up mostly of younger guys around college aged or so. The other is where the seasoned experienced fighters are. From what I've heard they're pretty serious business.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Bayonetwork
Yes, in my town there are 2 of them that I know of. Both behind restaurants, one is made up mostly of younger guys around college aged or so. The other is where the seasoned experienced fighters are. From what I've heard they're pretty serious business.

+1 i know of a few around the neighboring town (kinda a big city)

my friend told me we should go join one of em haha yeah right.

what i dont understand is how do people explain that on their hospital bill/ to their wife/ parents. "Oh my face? i tripped and fell, hit a desk. Yes. just like the last 3 weekends in a row".
Quote by damn-right!
yay! I'm not sure why but I wouldnt have expected many people to have read the book. Have you read any of his other stuff? I love choke, but Lullaby was a big disappointment.

I've read, in this order, Fight Club, Invisible Monster, Survivor, Choke, Haunted, Diary, and am about half way done with Rant. I just finished listening to the audiobook of "Stranger Than Fiction:True Stories". I read a little of Lullaby but never finished it.
So the book itself is also called Fight Club? I'm gonna go to the library and pick it up. I loved the movie, I'm sure the book is even better.
Page 1 of 2