Seeing as the pit is defined as "The forum for all general discussion that is not covered by other forums, from music issues to whatever." and we dont have any forums with anything to do with drums i figure this can go here.

i know there are a lot of drummers here so i thought you might be able help me out. i dont play drums but im asking on behalf of my brother.

basically the problem is that the snare is "ringing out" too long if you know what i mean and we're after a sharper attack, something like mike portnoy on the images and words album.

the snare chords are brand new but they're kind of fizzing a while after you hit the drum.

if anybody could give us a few things to try out to fix the problem that would be great, and i can find out the exact heads hes using as well to see if you think its possible at all. i think its a clear remo pinstripe top and a terry bozzio attack bottom or something. and he also has a terry bozzio coated attack top as well if ya think that would be better then the remo. (i think one is two ply the other is one ply?)

thanks in advance
I hate it when my snare rings out, I just duct taped it but that's not a good thing. There's some drum tuning videos I watched, I'll get the links for you.

Edit: Link to the channel with all the videos, it's in there somewhere. http://www.youtube.com/user/BillConover
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by CM_X5
I hate it when my snare rings out, I just duct taped it but that's not a good thing. There's some drum tuning videos I watched, I'll get the links for you.

Link to the channel with all the videos http://www.youtube.com/user/BillConover

thanks for the link, yeah the initial hit sounds good but then theres a little bit of resonance and rattle afterwards thats pissing us off.
make sure both sides of the drum are tuned the same, if your snare is ringing out too long, it means your heads are out of tune.

my suggestion is, get new heads, take both of the old ones off, and start with the bottom head. put it on and keep on tightening it until you get the sound you want.

then put on the top and keep tuning it until the drum sounds in tune.
Quote by CM_X5
I just duct taped it

Yeah I'm guilty of the same thing
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk