Is it potentially harmful or hard to do? I'm asking because I may be buying an LTD M-1000 soon, which I'm pretty sure has a painted neck. And I don't like the feel of a painted neck...it seems to hamper my sliding across the neck.
the neck is much easier the sand than the body, just get some low grit sand paper take the paint off, then get a really fine sandpaper to make it smooth again. then put a clear coat on it
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
So, after doing this, will it be just as good as guitars whose necks were never painted in the first place and sold like that?
Quote by fixationdarknes
So, after doing this, will it be just as good as guitars whose necks were never painted in the first place and sold like that?

If you take your time, sand it well and finish it properly, you'll get a lovely, smooth, neck.

But keep in mind painted necks usually only interfere with your playing when they're not clean. If you regularly wipe down the back of your neck, you'll probably notice a difference in playability.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
If you take your time, sand it well and finish it properly, you'll get a lovely, smooth, neck.

But keep in mind painted necks usually only interfere with your playing when they're not clean. If you regularly wipe down the back of your neck, you'll probably notice a difference in playability.

^ Yeah, they usually feel bad in a store too, but once you've "Played it in", as it were, they feel much better.

As for sanding, it's really easy, just time consuming, as stated.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It is time consuming.....you'll be suprised how much the paint doesn't want to come off. If you have the patience, get some 80 or 100 grit and make sure you sand with the grain and uniform across the neck....you don't want to stay in one spot too long. After that, go up to 120 grit and then finish it smooth with 180 or 220. Once it's smooth, rub in some tung oil and you'll love it.

Once you start there is no turning back. Don't rush it and you'll be okay. I just sanded a body this week and I've spent about 5+ hours sanding...and that was starting with a palm sander. I hate sanding.......and sticky painted necks !
If you put clear gloss over the back of the neck when you sand it, your going to get the same effect as a pained neck, as painted necks are COVERED with a clear gloss. A lot of people i know take triple ot (0000) steel wool and go up and down the neck. It saves the color, and it makes it feel like an unpainted neck. Unfinished necks have tongue oil rubbed into them, or other types that are comparable. Check it out on the web. Im sure project guitar has a tutorial.