But I need a soldering iron to change my pickups, today and I wanted to know what voltage to get it, I can get hold of a 40 watt one easily but I thought this was too much, will it do or do I have to keep searching? Cos I read 20 watts would do.
they'll both work. Go with the 20w though, that'll be plenty.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
another thing:

I have no idea Well I have the basic idea of which the ground wires are, and I'd know what to do if i knew where the plus and minus wires went. . where do they go?
Well the Red one should be the hot and that goes to your selector switch, I think, and the black ground goes to where to ground point was previously. If you want coil splits you can use the other two wires somehow, but if you don't you just tape the ends of the white and green together.
so nothing goes to the volume or tone pots?
I don't want coil splits either, too much work and I like the sound of a real single.

Thanks a million!

One conundrum though, boh the ground wires are black, but one is thicker than the other.
Two ground wires? Not heard of that before, I only have the one.

Just change the wires directly with the old ones. IE look where the ground wire is, desolder that and put the new one there. But I dunno how you'd deal with 2 grounds, my pickup only had the one.
well on the diagram two wires have the grounding symbol so I assumed they were both ground.
And yeah i'll just do a direct switch.
Thanks, cool point to you
I'm in england, and it seems I have the only one that this town has to offer right now which is weird, anyway it does fine, there was no solder in any shops so I'm going to have to order it, looks like it'll be monday before my new pickups are in my guitar
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'm in england, and it seems I have the only one that this town has to offer right now which is weird, anyway it does fine, there was no solder in any shops so I'm going to have to order it, looks like it'll be monday before my new pickups are in my guitar

Do you not live near a B&Q or homebase? they have plenty
Seymore duncan's site has a bevy of great wiring diagrams.

I use a switchable 15/30 watt iron, and it's fine for guitar work.
Quote by TomR
Do you not live near a B&Q or homebase? they have plenty

Yes, we do but it was my mum who went out for these and I have a huge feeling that she couldnt be bothered and wants me to order off the internet, anyway yeah I have my iron now so I'm fine with that, it's usable I've tried it out (using the solder from my old strats pickguard) on my old dean V and it's usable.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
well on the diagram two wires have the grounding symbol so I assumed they were both ground.
And yeah i'll just do a direct switch.
Thanks, cool point to you

One of them grounds the pickup's baseplate/cover, and the other is the negative output. The negative goes to the ground because otherwise the circuit wouldn't be complete.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club