Page 1 of 2
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Which has the best-sounding, built-in distortion?

• The Dean Markley GT1000 Micro
• Fender Mini Deluxe
• Fender Mini Twin
• Marshall MS-2 Mini
• Marshall MS-4 Micro Stack
• Smokey Mini Amp

Other suggestions? What's the name of that one that's like a little box that plugs right into your guitar?
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 26, 2007,
aradroxar
UG's Reject
289 IQ
I dont now about mini-amps but the "little box" you mentioned would be a Vox AmPlug
Green_Jelly
Live from the tone lounge
480 IQ
The Vox is way overpriced. Try the DVForge Jamplug.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Thanks. Oh, damn. I thought that had a speaker in it, but it's only a headphone amp. I was looking for a mini-amp with a speaker, so that I could play with my friends at work. We're all going to get the same mini-amps.

But that Smokey Mini Amp sounds cool! Check out the Guitar Center online description:

"The world's smallest and least expensive U.S.-made guitar amp!

About the size of a cigarette pack, amazingly it can drive a 4 x 12 cabinet. (We didn't believe it either, so we tried it. And, sure enough, through the magic of technology, it was actually loud and sounded great, though the battery didn't hold out long.) It responds to the volume knob on your guitar and generates a sweet and convincing tube amp overdrive when cranked. It has its own built-in speaker. It can also be used on the input of another amp as a fuzz box." —Guitar Center

All I need is a male-to-male, 1/4' phone, and I'd be good to go with that thing.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Green_Jelly
480 IQ
In that case, the Smokey amp might have the most bang for your buck.
Quote by lizarday
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Thanks. Have you tried any of the others? Good? Bad? Sucks? At these prices, cost isn't an issue at all. I'm just looking for the best-sounding distortion, from a little amp with a built-in speaker, that can still fit inside my guitar case.

i_am_ironman
Child Of Bodom
85 IQ
yeah get a smokey
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
Green_Jelly
480 IQ
I haven't heard anything good about the Marshalls. I don't know about the Fenders though.
Quote by lizarday
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
Weren't he just in search for the BEST mini-amp? not best/buck. there's one HELL of a difference between that I must say.

Anyways, I've no idea which's the best, but they can't be that expensive.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Jake_fender
UG... person
147 IQ
Not the Marshall MS-2 Mini! I have that one... the electronics or somethin is screwy.. but its still fun!
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Wow! I just read all the Harmony Central reviews, and they were overall, hugely positive on this little Smokey amp. I just hope Guitar Center stocks this retail (they probably don't). I hate waiting for mail order stuff! Thanks for all the helpful replies!

The other question, is, what is the BEST-sounding mini-amp overall (regardless of its distortion capability)? Because I just realized, I could just Velcro a Danelectro mini kind of pedal to any of the above mini-amps, for the distortion part, and it would all still fit in my guitar case.

Kendall
Forklift Jedi
271 IQ
Quote by LEVEL4
what is the BEST-sounding mini-amp overall (regardless of its distortion capability)?

That would be the ZVex Nano.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
No speakers.

Gabel
UG's Swede
4,239 IQ
Wrong it has a small inbuilt 1" speaker
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
latinosuperstud
UG Board King
1,273 IQ
well the smokey amp seems like a good choice (besides the zvex nano... which is a little expensive for a mini amp, yes its tube but still)... i like the vox da5... its not traditionally mini but its a nice little five watter... the micro cube runs in a similar vein but i didnt like it as much for some reason
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Quote by Gabel
Wrong it has a small inbuilt 1" speaker
Oh. My bad! Thanks. Okay, then, what's the SECOND-best sounding little amp?

moody07747
Digital Media Creator
4,108 IQ
I know...old thread but I thought I'd chime in because I have a few mini amps.

#1 on my list is the Vox AMplug but for speakers...I also have a mini Fender Tonemaster amp.
with the plastic parts and small speakers it sounds a little thin BUT it's loud and a fun, nice practice amp.

I will mic the fender up tomorrow with the SM57 and post a few recordings just so everyone gets an idea of how this product sounds.
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Quote by moody07747
I know...old thread but I thought I'd chime in because I have a few mini amps. I will mic the fender up tomorrow with the SM57 and post a few recordings just so everyone gets an idea of how this product sounds.
No, that's great! Thanks! I still haven't gotten around to getting one yet! Glad you posted!

Quote by forsaknazrael
Smokey amp. Just try and install a treble bleed mod on your volume control. Makes it much more usable. Treble bleed's are super easy to install.
Hey, thanks! That sounds like a cool mod. I was leaning toward the Smokey anyway, just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. It's so inexpensive, that even if it sucks, it's fine. Thanks for your comment, and for the link!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 5, 2007,
moody07747
Digital Media Creator
4,108 IQ
Sorry for the delay everyone..just got back from class and all and finished the record.
Glad I could help you out LEVEL4

I have a work .doc file with a table to let you know what the knobs were set at for each sample I played. I have a .wmv file for the audio part of it.

I'll zip it up and make it an .rar file so a program like WinRAR should be able to open the file with both parts.

Rapidshare link to the file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/67710159/Fender_Tone_Master_mini.zip.html
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 5, 2007,
Storm_Bringer_
utterly butterly
728 IQ
apparently the danelectro honeytone is very nice sounding, someone was saying about it yesterday, just wish I could remember the thread
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Quote by moody07747
Sorry for the delay everyone..just got back from class and all and finished the record.
Glad I could help you out LEVEL4

I have a work .doc file with a table to let you know what the knobs were set at for each sample I played. I have a .wmv file for the audio part of it.

I'll zip it up and make it an .rar file so a program like WinRAR should be able to open the file with both parts.

Rapidshare link to the file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/67710159/Fender_Tone_Master_mini.zip.html
Thanks a lot for going through all that trouble! I'll have a listen when I get home from work later.

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
apparently the danelectro honeytone is very nice sounding, someone was saying about it yesterday, just wish I could remember the thread
Thanks. I just happened to try the Honeytone yesterday. Sounds nice, but it's not for me. There's not enough gain for any kind of metal distortion sound.

Storm_Bringer_
utterly butterly
728 IQ
^ reviews on HC say it takes well to pedals, but i mean your defeating the purpose when you start bringing a pedalboard with 20 9V batteries around lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast
831 IQ
The Smokey amp doesn't sound all that great. However, it's cheap and it's small. So it's OK. Just don't want you to get your hopes too high.
FourSticks17
88 IQ
I hate to rain on the Smokey amp parade, but I personally found it to sound horrible.

I picked one up without ever hearing it in person (hey, it was only 30 bucks), and I was extremely disappointed with its performance. I'm no tone snub, but I couldn't stand the way it sounded. I honestly preferred playing without any amp to playing with the Smokey amp.

With that said, I didn't try it through a cab, but if what you want is a portable amp, then this may not necessarily be your best bet.

Just my two cents.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Quote by fly135
The Smokey amp doesn't sound all that great. However, it's cheap and it's small. So it's OK. Just don't want you to get your hopes too high.

Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from that hard plastic little speaker. Seemed kind of a neat product, though.

Quote by FourSticks17
I hate to rain on the Smokey amp parade, but I personally found it to sound horrible.

I picked one up without ever hearing it in person (hey, it was only 30 bucks), and I was extremely disappointed with its performance. I'm no tone snub, but I couldn't stand the way it sounded. I honestly preferred playing without any amp to playing with the Smokey amp.

With that said, I didn't try it through a cab, but if what you want is a portable amp, then this may not necessarily be your best bet.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for your comment. Yeah, I just wanted something I could just keep in my guitar case, so that I'd be able to just whip out my guitar, and be able to play anywhere. Also, in my work, sometimes I have move quickly, so I can't be toting around a Roland Cube, even as small as that is, around with me. Is there anything else you would suggest over the Smokey?

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 6, 2007,
forsaknazrael
..kupo?
3,141 IQ
The Smokey amp is pretty much a what-you-see-what-you-get.

It's really reactive with your volume and tone controls, and your picking dynamics. It CAN sound harsh, if you don't know what you're doing. I still have mine, and I think it's freakin' awesome, as it can fit in my case. It sounds pretty beastly if you put it to a cab...

Alternative..? Build your own LM386 based amp. Super easy.
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
u think i can add a Mosfet clipper circuit on a LM386 ruby? o.O
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
i want to build a little amp inside a hard shell guitar case hahaha.

so i can play my strat everywhere.

are there any linear really clean but small amplifiers? i want to add a dirt box in front as kind of a preamp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Quote by ECistheBest
i want to build a little amp inside a hard shell guitar case hahaha.

so i can play my strat everywhere.

are there any linear really clean but small amplifiers? i want to add a dirt box in front as kind of a preamp.
Hey, man! That's a DAMNED good idea! Plenty of space for the electronics, batteries, speakers. PLENTY of space. By the way, what's this "Ruby" thing everybody keeps mentioning?

LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
Oh, thanks! By the way, has anyone ever tried this Dean Markley GT1000 Micro Amp? It looks like a portable transistor radio (just the kind of sound I'm looking for). I'm looking for a lot of out-of-the-box distortion.

ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
hmmm. i still want a really clean amp and push it with a Old Crazy Dave. hahaha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard