Page 1 of 2
I absolutely LOVE music and it is seriously my life, but just within the past year I've decided that I want to be a part of it all--not just listen.

So I picked up an acoustic guitar a year ago or so, played for a few months, but kind of had to force myself to do it. I realized that acoustic guitar wasn't for me as I really don't care too much for the music it plays--fair enough.

About 4 months ago my younger sister decided to take drum lessons. She brought home drumsticks and this practice thing. Whenever she wasn't playing, I was playing!

I seriously played for hours at a time and never wanted to stop. I remember taking it outside because my mom said it was too loud and I played for hours in freezing cold weather enjoying the absolute heck out of it.

My sister stopped playing, and I stopped, so I went back to "not playing my acoustic guitar", lol.

In this past week or so I've been wanting to get an electric guitar because I love the sound of it, but I have this bad feeling I won't play it that much even though I love and adore what it can do--I would love to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana and "Hades" by the band "Kalmah" and all that, but the truth is, I think I might be forcing this upon myself and I am not really that into it.

See, I want to be in the spotlight, I want to be in the front, I want to serenade the ladies, I want an instrument that I can take wherever, etc., but I just don't think it is for me.

Not to mention I have EXTREMELY TINY hands. From the base of my palm to the end of my middle finger is 6.3 inches. I have the hands of a young girl : (

I am starting to think that I am a naturally born drummer. I realize that when listening to music, I mainly pay attention to vocals, drums, and keyboard/synths, not so much the guitar at all.

I had an absolute BLAST playing the drums, but I find it a chore to play the guitar unfortunately.

Everything about the drums turns me on and that is always the person I pay attention to when watching live music. When my sister brought that small practice drum thing home, I was already wailing away on it and she was struggling--I think I just have to face the facts. I am not a good singer, have tiny girl hands, and am fatefully attracted to the drums.

What would you guys do in my position? I mean, I want to be a guitarist because it is soooo fking dynamic and can do sooo much stuff, and you get to be in the front where the action is and can move around, but I just don't feel the passion for it. I am always tapping my fingers and nodding my head whenever I hear drums playing and sometimes really only hear the drums.

I have INSANE hand-eye coordination as well. I just think if I start playing the drums, I will become one of the best around--I just have this strange feeling, but I don't feel that way about the guitar or anything else for that matter (not to brag or anything). I just feel that way...
Last edited by OmniGuitar4 at Oct 26, 2007,
Just play the damn guitar, quit writing these long ass situations.
666 BRO
Quote by 7daycrisis
Also, dont play smells like teen spirit.

What's wrong with that song? I just play what sounds good to me...
Quote by Kankuro
Just play the damn guitar, quit writing these long ass situations.

I take it you didn't read what I wrote.
Quote by OmniGuitar4
I take it you didn't read what I wrote.

Well who wants to read that wall of text anyway?

Aqua_dementia sure wouldnt.
Quote by 7daycrisis
Well who wants to read that wall of text anyway?

Aqua_dementia sure wouldnt.

Oh well, sorry to bother everyone on this forum. Lol, if you guys could just read this one long post. I swear I won't post any long questions like this anymore, lol. Mods can go ahead and ban me if I post another long one, haha.
Quote by nightraven
He indicates that you write too much

Just read this once, someone read.

NO MORE LONG POSTS from me, I swear, this is so important to me though...
i don't see the 'situation' to be honest. If you dont wanna play the guitar and you want to play drums then whats wrong?
Quote by Jackolas
If I opened an Indian my slogan would be...

"If you don't crap your pants within five minutes of consumption you get a free warm soda!"
Last edited by joeljoel at Oct 26, 2007,
Ok I read it. If thats the case, go for the drums man.

Who says you cant be in the spotlight? Look on youtube at drums solos like Matt Sorums from the Use your illusions tour. Go for it.
or watchin anythin by john blackwell....that will make ya wonan play drums :P
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
I am a girl, My hands are about 6 inches from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger, i play guitar and drums. You can play guitar if you wish, though if you feel you are forcing yourself, drums have dynamics too! they basically hold together a song for gods sake! Buy a practice pad and some sticks until you feel you want or can afford a kit.
move on past smells teen spirit, seriously. urgh. if thats your reason to want to play guitar or something.... am i missing something? Drums are great, i bought a kit, and sold it after time. Just doesnt do what the guitar can, but i guess i was also guitar oriented and bought drums for a bit of fun.

Learn drums, theres to many crappy guitar players, if you're not going to be committed to guitar, and or play teen spirit, dont do it. Play drums.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
nothing wrong with people playing an instrument as a hobby.. just because you pick up a guitar, doesn't mean you're sworn into some secret society and have to have it surgically attached to you

XD

if you like drumming and your parents are sensitive about noise.. go for some electric drums.

expensive.. but then.. most drum stuff is.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
AAAAAAAH! WALL OF TEXT! RUN AWAY!
on a serious note, learn to play drums if your gona "become one of the best around"
Quote by Survivalism
Your parents go ass-to-mouth and then kiss you.

The truth can be a horrific thing some times
From what i'm reading up there, play the drums.
Originally Posted by Kensai
Thx keine_lust, I probably would've missed the chili's if it wasn't for you

SCARECROW of UG's Gotham City
you know, all those awesome sounds that can be made on an electric guitar which you want to be able to do take a long time to learn, learninh guitar requires a lot of time and practice, adn its got to be something that your gonna stick with,
also, when you serenade the ladies, why the **** would you serenade them with an electric guitar, what you think you could play some dragonforce and they'd have an orgasm, nooooooooooooo! serenading would be more riomantic with one of those acoustic guitars you hate playing so much!
STICK TO DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

Don't learn guitar if you can't even be bothered to learn the acoustic. Thats really step one before you move on to the electric.
And dont be put down by those few planks in here, if you wanna learn smells like teen spirit, do it, its a classic song. Just do it on acoustic first!

And if you cant make up your mind, learn both.
TRANSFORMICE

from personal experience I know what its like to have total music add, if I didn't have a bunch of different instruments to mess around on I might get bored with just one thing, but keep in mind that there are a billion different things to do with a guitar or a drum set so maybe it isn't as much that your bored with the instrument as that you are bored with what your playing. and btw, music is about loving it, so if you think you could love playing the drums go for it, the worst thing that will happen is you will be wrong and then, oh well, sell your drums and try something else, good luck!
^^^wtf? I don't get it, playing acoustic is another world than playing electric, it's sooo much different! oO
I say there is nothing wrong with starting with an electric guitar... (except the price for nice guitar+amp xD)

But if you think you're gonne be great as drummer then do it!
About being in the spotlight... Do you listen to metalcore or sth like this? Look at Chimaira, their guitar riffs wouldn't be very interesting without that daaamn great drumming!
But I still don't get why you wouldn't play your guitar, if you love its sound so much...

cheers!
Last edited by Jokaaa at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by nightraven
You know what they say about guys with small hands...

>_>
<_<

Small gloves (Y)

You don't seem to be very keen on the guitar, so don't start up. What happened with the drums?
Quote by nightraven

>_>
<_<

They have small fingers. Haha (please forgive me, I had to)

But seriously, no instrument should be a chore. Do what you find great. Often the people who get into guitar coz it pulls the ladies (which is quite a large misunderstanding, a lady won't sex you up all year just because you play guitar, it's merely an insignificant attribute), are generally failures of musicians coz their heart is not in it. Play whatever you like to play, if that's drums, then play drums!

A hobby shouldn't be a chore.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
go for the drums, and play guitar as well. either way, guitar takes a long time to get good at unless you have a LOT of natural talent. drums dont have to be 'out of the spotlight' look at motley crue or green day, drummers are very involved. my drummer likes to hide behind his drumset, but doesnt mean you have to

i guess in the end (clichée coming) you just have to follow your heart and do what u feel most comfortable with

/benjy

www.meettheescape.com
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
If you enjoy playing drums more play them. I'd love to be able to play them myself but i haven't got the coordination. Also, if you want to be in a band there are a hell of alot less drummers than guitarists.. like when I was at secondary there were loads of guitarists, 4 bassists and 2 drummers. But thats not really important just play what you enjoy.
Just gets some drums!!! Play what you want to play. However, if you really want to play guitar, and you have small hands, an acoustic is the wrong way to go. It's torture for small inexperienced hands. I'd start with an electric guitar, preferably something with a more narrow neck, like Ibanez, or perhaps a fender.
play drums. i had to give them up when i left home but i'll definitely take them up again in the future. i love drumming because it almost feels like a sport: coordination, control, power. and for me, being at the back of the stage is more comfortable. as much as it gives me kicks, i'm not a natural performer.
Quote by Jokaaa
^^^wtf? I don't get it, playing acoustic is another world than playing electric, it's sooo much different! oO
I say there is nothing wrong with starting with an electric guitar... (except the price for nice guitar+amp xD)

But if you think you're gonne be great as drummer then do it!
About being in the spotlight... Do you listen to metalcore or sth like this? Look at Chimaira, their guitar riffs wouldn't be very interesting without that daaamn great drumming!
But I still don't get why you wouldn't play your guitar, if you love its sound so much...

cheers!

Its generally thought that if you learn acoustic when you start off, it will be easier to play electric when you switch over. Coz acoustic is harder to play than electric, especially when learning.
TRANSFORMICE

I can't beleive you even have too ask, play the drums.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
Just play drums. You obviously love them, and there's no use in playing guitar if you don't have any kind of love for it.
Quote by nightraven

>_>
<_<

small gloves?
it obviously sounds like you're showing off about your drumming sk1llz0rz and want us to praise you. Go play the f*cking drums and quit bitching about something you have already made your mind up about

edit: also i play guitar because i enjoy playing it, sometimes im not in the mood so i dont, thats when i listen to my muzak, but basically im saying you should go play drums, you aren't going to improve much at guitar if you dont have your heart in it
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Last edited by Taylz24 at Oct 27, 2007,
Quote by OmniGuitar4

Everything about the drums turns me on

maybe you should get a girlfriend....

but seriously, if you enjoy playing the drums do it. dont worry about being the "star guitar player". most all ppl dont get to fulfill their life time dreams. just do what you enjoy. i did read your entire post and if you cant make up your mind, let me do it for you.
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
Page 1 of 2