I am currently in year 11 and have to write an 8 bar piece. It can be in any style, but i think i am suppose to have a chord progression and write a melody over the top. The only problem is i dont know how to start. If somebody could please tell me how to make a chord progression that goes for 8 bars and then i could write the melody. Although if you would like to write the whole thing for me that would be even better (Lol).
Any help would be greatly appreatiated.
Thanks
Ehm, ehm... no cheating!
You could choose 4 chords, each for 2 bars, simply in one key (you do know chord theory and scales, right?). Or you could do only 2 chords in AABBAABB pattern.

There is really many, many possibilities, and I can't see where is a problem. Choose a key with you are most comfortable, and make some music!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
I don't get it? Are you a Music Major in college or something, and if so why in the HELL would you ask a school related question to a bunch of 13 and 14 year old's on UG?
Year 11 is by no mean College and around here you dont have a Music Major you jsut take music as an elective subject.

Regardless just pick a few chords that sound cool together that go for 8 bars. If you dont know what scale it is then post up the progression here and im sure someone will tell you the scale.

Then if you dont know any scales just google said scale and use those notes for a melody. (Probaby a pentatonic scale would be best depending on how you want to go with this.)
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
thanks for the replies
i'm 16 in secondary school not college.
Do i just choose any chords from the scale that i want eg: I IV vii iii I V vii ii?
and then write a melody over it? is there certain guide lines in order to make a good sounding chord progression or do you just pick chords that you think sound good?.
Also should bar 1-4 be repeated to make the piece more structured?
thanks for your help so far.
Doing 4 bars then repeating would be a good idea to add structure to the piece but the melody shouldn't be repeated.

Generally if the chords sound good to you then it will be a good chord progression. Almost everyone can tell if the progression doesn't make since. (If you know what i mean.)
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by mickmos
thanks for the replies
i'm 16 in secondary school not college.
Do i just choose any chords from the scale that i want eg: I IV vii iii I V vii ii?
and then write a melody over it? is there certain guide lines in order to make a good sounding chord progression or do you just pick chords that you think sound good?.
Also should bar 1-4 be repeated to make the piece more structured?
thanks for your help so far.

Music is music.
There is no orders.
Usual chord progressions are mainly rotated around I IV V and vi (in C major: C F G Am)
Just look into some Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Beatles and other standards of rock music to find some interesting chord progressions.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.