Arite, im not sure if this has been done before, but when you are recording guitar what do YOU do 2 get your sound?

I mainly play metal through my HnK, what i do is:

-Close mic a SM57 on one of the cabs speakers (it changes from session to session)

-Place a SE condensor (not sure on the model) about 3 feet away from the front of the cab.

-Take a Jack to Jack lead and plug one end into the "FX send" of my guitar head and run it into one of the line inputs of my interface.

-Record all three signals to seperate channels on cubase

-Run the DI signal from the amp through a speaker simulator in cubase

-When panning i pan the DI signal at 20, the SM signal at 60 and the SE signal at 80-90. This gives me a nice big sound

-during the mixing stage i mix these signals so they sound as one huge guitar

Of course there is compression and EQ and effects, but these change with every session.

So what techniques to you use to get a good sound?
GUITARS:
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Jackson DX10D Rhoads (EMG 81/85)
Jackson Dinky (dimebucker)
Epiphone les paul custom
Godin freeway floyd
AMPS:
Hughes and Kettner triliogy head + 4x12 cab
Line 6 spider 2 head w/ marshall 1960 B cab
PRS SE guitar - Digitech EX7 - Yamaha Magicstomp - yamaha MG10/2 mixer - Stock sound card in my Acer Aspire desktop PC - Audacity.

I'm getting a Toneport UX1 for christmas so ill have better sound and ill be able to record out of the house with my new laptop.

In editing I'll use the Dyson compressor and amp patches to boost the overall sound to CD quality.

for vox or any micing I'll use a Shure SM57
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by JamesKirtlan
So what techniques to you use to get a good sound?

Just one, a Vox ToneLab. That's it.
pod xt direct in. still mucking around with it but i'm getting some nice sounds with it
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Shure beta '57 or ElectroVoice RE20 about 3" from the grille, plus a Rode NT1-A or Neumann U87 round the back into an MBox2 or a 192.
Maybe a stupid question..But what do I need to have to plug my guitar into my computer?
And how much will that cost...?
radiohead
I run my guitar into a GuitarPort into SONAR.

Quote by Koeniewoonie
Maybe a stupid question..But what do I need to have to plug my guitar into my computer?
And how much will that cost...?

For best sound you should look at sound processors that run straight into the computer via USB. Anything from Boss and Line 6 is solid. Or...you could get a mic that will plug into your PC and just record the sound straight from the amp.
2005 Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature Buzzsaw (ZW Set Pickups)
2005 Ibanez RG5EX1
2002 Ibanez RG320DXQM w/ DiMarzio pups
Line 6 Guitarport
Cakewalk SONAR 6 PE
Propellerhead Reason 3.0
Thanks I just didn't knew how to get a good sound into my computer. But now i know..hehe:P
radiohead
i plug a mic into my computer and hold it up to my amp. then i use ms sound recorder to capture it.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Crappy supermarket microphone tied to my bed about 1 meter away from my amp, slightly above + sony acid or audacity. Then I sometimes dubbeltrack myself with slightly different EQ settings or something.
GNX3000 > USB > Pro Tracks

or

Tech21 SansAmp TRI-AC > GNX3000 line in > USB > Pro Tracks
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
a very useful blog indeed. in a perfect world, everyone would have a JCM 800 or dream amp equivalent and tens upon thousands of dollars of recording gear in their prefect acoustically tuned basement studio.

not very helpful to the other 90% of people who record on budgets of 500$ to maybe $2000. or perhaps live in situations where miking cranked 100 watt tube amps simply isn't an option. (apartments?)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.