I've just saved up enough for a Marshall TSL100 stack, but I'm having second thoughts. I chose this amp on the basis of its overall versatility - its clean tone, its distortion, ect. I'm in a funk band so cleans are very important, but at the same time I'm really interested into pushing my influences into rock, heavy rock ect.

Anyway, the cleans are supposed to be decent on the TSL100. But a few people have told me they're not that great. So a few have pointed me in the direction of the Marshall JVM which has better cleans, but I could only get that in a combo.

Marshall JVM Combo

So how does this compare? Better cleans? Better value than the TSL100?

Cheers,
Tom
the JVM is much better... but im a not a fan of tube amp... anyway.. i'm not a fan useing amps
I prefer modellers.
I have a TSL 100 and think it's great...I think it suits a lot of different styles and the clean is good. I haven't tried the JVM but I don't think it's very different to the TSL. Try them out, that's my advice.
The Jvm is better than the Tsl. Mainly because the Tsl is just so muddy sounding when you apply a nice bit of gain.

Anyway the Jvm has great cleans, nice cruch, good modern od and good metal od.

Its a marshall powerhouse. But play both to see what one YOU like.

Quote by HUNYeti
the JVM is much better... but im a not a fan of tube amp... anyway.. i'm not a fan useing amps
I prefer modellers.

They are also amps!

Well check out the switchblade if your a fan of modellers.
I haven't actually been lucky enough to play the JVM yet, i have heard they are quite good but a bit digital compared with the JCM series.

I can tell you though that the JCM 2000 TSL is quite good, but it takes a bit of EQing to get what you want plus they don't sound great until they are cranked.

Overall, it really comes down to trying them both for yourself because you may play differently to me so it depends on your taste.

Oh and the TSL60 is a fair bit cleaner and less muddy than the TSL100
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I've played the TSL and I think the DSL100 is tons better. My bandmate has the DSL with a 1960 and a Boss OD pedal. The sound was freakin awesome. The cleans were awesome too.
why only in a combo if you wanted a stack in the first place and there is a jvm head
I agree, the TSL's cleans are pretty mediocre at best, couldnt get a nice twang out of it using a tele....now thats saying something.

and for the price of the JVM you could get an amp that is ALOT better.
Quote by HUNYeti
I prefer modellers.

Lol why?

Plus modellers are amps (if you mean modeling amps)

Plus they sound better than every modeler...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^Well the switchblade is pretty damn sexy..

Oh ohh and we cant forget the Spider Valve!!!
if you will use many gain go for a JVM. my TSL is muddy when turning the Gain knob more than 6. mine is at 4/5 and JVM are alot better from what iv heard
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
I didn't like the JVM cleans at all, but then I didn't like the TSL cleans...they're all rather thin and lifeless.
Honestly, try the DSLs. They sound better than the TSL and it doesn't sound like you really need that extra gain (the DSL has plenty.) Plus the DSL line doesn't have the reliability issues the TSL line does.
Hmm. Mixed messages all over the place... obviously I don't intend on buying anything before I've tested all of the amps I'm considering. There's no way in hell I'm shelling out almost a grand otherwise.

Interesting about the TSL60 having better cleans, I think maybe if I do get a TSL in that case, it'll be the 60 watt version, because I really doubt I'd need 100 watt and if I was at a gig that required that much, surely it'd be mic'd anyway.

But now I'm kind of leaning towards the JVM combo because it has nicer cleans and more useful features. Nicer cleans, better gains. I don't see anything about cutting the wattage though so you can get a nice sound in a small room though - anyone know if that's possible?

I've played the DSL and although it was decent, I'm not so sure. I was just under the impression higher models would provide better quality cleans, and so I looked further up.
I have the TSL100 and I love it.

The cleans are actually pretty good (not fender clean, but wtf its a Marshall). You can literally get any Marshall tone out of this amp. Also I found a pretty awesome tone right away, so you wouldn't be spending years eqing.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by IncubusMan999
I haven't actually been lucky enough to play the JVM yet, i have heard they are quite good but a bit digital compared with the JCM series.

I can tell you though that the JCM 2000 TSL is quite good, but it takes a bit of EQing to get what you want plus they don't sound great until they are cranked.

Overall, it really comes down to trying them both for yourself because you may play differently to me so it depends on your taste.

Oh and the TSL60 is a fair bit cleaner and less muddy than the TSL100

An all tube amp, sounding digital? lol

I'd check out the JVM. The JVM can probably do all that the TSL can do, but the TSL can't do all that the JVM can do.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
An all tube amp, sounding digital? lol

I can see how that sounds absurd but it isn't from first-hand experience and it sounds a little trebly and manufactured compared with the Tsl, it apparently doesn't have the same sort of raw, in-your face sound. It's hard to explain.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
I don't particularly like either very much. In my opnion, in the JVM price range, the Mesa/Boogie Roadster, dominates the JVM and the TSL. It did everything better than the JVM did, and in my opinion, the JVM did everything better than the TSL. The JVM's real lacking point in my opinion, was that it's high gain was quite muddy. The cleans are pretty good, not as good as some other amps, but decent. That's my personal, honest opinion.
Quote by TheShred201
I don't particularly like either very much. In my opnion, in the JVM price range, the Mesa/Boogie Roadster, dominates the JVM and the TSL. It did everything better than the JVM did, and in my opinion, the JVM did everything better than the TSL. The JVM's real lacking point in my opinion, was that it's high gain was quite muddy. The cleans are pretty good, not as good as some other amps, but decent. That's my personal, honest opinion.

I think the Roadster is a bit more expensive. It's definitely more than the TSL but not sure about the JVM, considering it's fairly new and all.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Tube amps work best at full volume. Are you going to be playing the sort of gigs where you're going to be able to crank the TSL or JVM up to full volume? If not you might be better with a DSL401 which you can crank up pretty high. I wouldn't get a 100 watt tube amp unless you're going to be playing pretty damn big venues!! A lower wattage tube amp at a higher volume will sound better than a higher wattage tube amp at a low volume.
Last edited by Ralph1980 at Oct 28, 2007,
Incubus man, the dealer that I went to to play the roadster had it for $1799, which is the same price as the JVM410h. I had expected it to be closer to Roadking Price than Dual Rec price, but it wasn't. And Ralph, the Roadster has 50/100 watt switches for each channel independantly.
im surprised no one else has said this but.... get an orange
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by TheShred201
Incubus man, the dealer that I went to to play the roadster had it for $1799, which is the same price as the JVM410h. I had expected it to be closer to Roadking Price than Dual Rec price, but it wasn't. And Ralph, the Roadster has 50/100 watt switches for each channel independantly.

Really?!

Seriously, you should get the Roadking if you have a choice between the JVM and the Roadking. The Roadkings are a great series of amps from Mesa, a good and solid company.

Buy it on Ebay used though, it's much cheaper and most are pretty much in the same condiiton as how they leave the store, considering that most stores just lug them around carelessly and ding them and what not because, obviously, the look of the tolex doesn't worry many.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM