So lately I've been using a Yamaha B50-115II bass amp with my DF-7 for distortion. It has a built in EQ and is pretty loud without losing clarity (good considering it's a beaten old solid state) The lows are massive and at the same time you can still hear highs perfectly without being too treble-y. It's almost perfect for me, but I'm unsure of it's dependability in the future.

Is there any guitar amp at all that has thundering lows, clear but not piercing highs, not overly mid-rangey but not completely scooped sound? I can't describe it any more than that, it's really smooth (not harsh like my Crate). I tried cranking the bass knob , turning down the treble and bringing a bit more mid on my ValveKing and it wasn't even close.

To get this sound from another amp would a combo amp cut it or will I need a large cab? Or should I continue using bass amps? There's a pic of this thing in my profile, it's around the size of a 4x12.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by CM_X5
Is there any guitar amp at all that has thundering lows, clear but not piercing highs, not overly mid-rangey but not completely scooped sound? I can't describe it any more than that, it's really smooth (not harsh like my Crate)...

To get this sound from another amp would a combo amp cut it or will I need a large cab? Or should I continue using bass amps?

The usual questions of you apply: what music are you playing, and how much are you looking to spend?

I would think there are many combos out there that could do what you're describing. A Vox AC30, Fender Bassman, maybe a Peavey Delta Blues 115. Sounds like a matter of specific personal preference, though, and you really need to get out and try 'em.

A closed back cab, in general, is better for your "thundering lows." You don't need a big cab for that, though, it could be achieved with a high quality 1x12 (like Mesa or Orange). But some sort of head + cab combo might turn out to be better for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.