Right basically i like playing rock, blues, and old style RnB. I've got to the level where there aren't really alot of songs from these genres that i can't play, that i want to play if you get me. But i really want to improve as a guitar player and be really good at playing the aforementioned genres. So what can i do to improve? I don't really have a lot of interest in being able to shred and sweep and 180 bpm, but can anyone suggest any scales or interesting things to practice that might help with these genres? Cheers
Well, I listened to your "Red House" at dmusic. While it wasn't bad, I wouldn't
qualify it as playing it. It's on the way to playing it, but it's not yet playing it.
Immediately I could hear the bends were off and the rhythm was off. So, there's
at least 2 things right there for you to look at: bends and turn on the metronome
and work on timing.

Getting better will probably start with what your notion of what "playing" things right
means. The devil's in the details. Unless you go into a lot of detail -- like playing
things really slowly and making sure you hit the beat exactly and your bends bend
to the right note exactly, you won't get a lot better. Getting better doesn't
entail knocking yourself out on advanced techniques, when you can't even hit a
beat right (as a lot of people seem to think).

You might think it would take forever to learn a song doing this type of detail. At
first it may take a while. But the more you do it, the easier it gets. You can kind
of say, practicing one small thing in extreme detail, practices everything.
Quote by JimmyStradlin33
Right basically i like playing rock, blues, and old style RnB. I've got to the level where there aren't really alot of songs from these genres that i can't play, that i want to play if you get me. But i really want to improve as a guitar player and be really good at playing the aforementioned genres. So what can i do to improve? I don't really have a lot of interest in being able to shred and sweep and 180 bpm, but can anyone suggest any scales or interesting things to practice that might help with these genres? Cheers

Listen to, learn, imitate songs and solos from that style. I heard your red house as well. Now that you kind of know it, you should work at trying to get it to sound like hendrix. Try to play it along with the original recording untill you can play it exact, and capture every nuance of it. Do this with alll of the music you play, and you will begin to improve. It takes time though, so be patient, and keep practicing! Good luck !
Cheers for the advice guys, i didn't mean to come across as arrogant in my first post, when i said i can pretty much play the songs i meant in terms of speed, not exactness although i clearly should have pointed that out. What i was really looking for was advice like you two gave me, not learn to sweep pick etc.

As to the advice, i completely agree with you. I have already started working on my bends due to feedback i'd had on that song previously and feel that they're already getting better. My timing is a big issue within my playing and i'm gonna try and work on that as well. Looking back on it objectively i will admit that my playing on that cover of red house is fairly shocking and hopefully will record a better one and post it soon.
Thanks again for the help.
Timing = Listening to the song + Using metronome correctly + Playing with the song
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.