I would like to customize my white gibson explorer
I want to upgrade the pups and other things

What kind of things should I get to make my guitar play better than it does stock?

I need straplocks what kind what fits
I need pickups I was thinking the SD hot rodded set

other ideas?
There's plenty to do, both visually and performance wise.

Straplocks are usually a good investment. I have Schaller ones on my Artcore, and they've held up fine. Most straplocks come with new buttons to bolt on in place of the stock ones, so don't worry about that too much. You could also look into a Tone Pros bridge, they supposedly help your sustain. Locking tuners are rarely a waste of money, UNLESS your stock ones are holding tune consistanly as it is. If you're unsatisfied with the tone, pup and pot swaps could serve you well. Out of curiosity, what pups are in it now?

For more advice, try posting in the GG&C forum.
What music do you play and what amp do you have?

I'm not a big fan of the JB, so I usually never recommend the Hot Rodded set.

Instead of strap locks, just get a Dunlop Ergo Lock. Costs $3 and requires no modification of your guitar.

It probably won't let you do guitar spins (although it's possible) but they've never failed me in normal use.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I don't know what pots are in the guitar already and what is better

and i heard schaller straplocks don't fit the gibson because they are too small or something

what tuners fit on the explorer they have mini grovers or something like that stock

I don't play too much metal
I like softer sound like goo goo dolls
coheed and cambria is about the most metal sounding i go and maybe some ozzy but I can get pedals for that sound
Last edited by kai29 at Oct 26, 2007,
dude you dont need to upgrade a Gibson Explorer, the only thing i had to do to mine to make it perfect was sand the neck
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
with mine i cant upgrade it any more cant get any better i just put pickup covers on it tho id do that nothing more you can really do
i have a question about the bridge
what size posts would i need?
Quote by kai29
i have a question about the bridge
what size posts would i need?

I believe the Gibson Explorer has a standard sized tune-o-matic bidge, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Depending on the age I wouldn't change a thing on a vintage Explorer keep it original. If it's newer I guess it's OK to do some upgrades but keep the original parts. With all the Explorers I have owned over the years the only upgrades I did with any was to change the pups. Again I always save the old pups and parts if you ever decide to sell it many years from now a buyer usually want an all original guitar. In the future an all original vintage guitar will always bring more money that one that is not.

And always use some type of strap lock system just to protect your investment no matter what you paid for your guitar.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I believe the Gibson Explorer has a standard sized tune-o-matic bidge, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

talking about tone pro TOM
it comes in small and large posts and i don't know which fits

I got it 2 months ago it was made in july or something 07 or something like that

I will keep parts but I am more concerned about sound
gibson explorer... *drewl*
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
First things First - EMG's - those pups are what you need of you got an explorer

I can't really help you with anything else since I dont own a gibson Explorer, nor do I know of any good straploc's - It's time to read this thread myself :P
Quote by DreamFactory
First things First - EMG's - those pups are what you need of you got an explorer

I can't really help you with anything else since I dont own a gibson Explorer, nor do I know of any good straploc's - It's time to read this thread myself :P

For Goo Goo dolls?

Wow.

I'd say something like a pair of Seymour Duncan '59's would be a better choice.
i couldn't find what gear john rzeznik uses to get his tones
I know he uses some marshall amps but none of his amps are ever on stage when he performs

also I am not just limited to the goo goo dolls
I like coheed and cambria, ozzy, muse, breaking benjamin, foo fighters, some GNR, some ACDC, eagles, the darkness, third eye blind, santana, gin blossoms, jimmy eat world

I like a lot of different tones
I want to get pedals to help reach some but I need good pickups for most of them
a Crate FXT65

I know it's not great but I don't have like 500 for a 30 watt tube
Get a new amp. Your pickups aren't the problem here.

I just bought a Peavey Classic 50 2x12 for $380 .

I'm sure you can find a similar deal.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Don't worry about changing pickups yet. Focus on what could make your explorer play better - if you feel it has problems, playability-wise, think about that. Does it need lower action? Does it need a better setup for the string gauge you use? Does it stay in tune well?
Save most of your money for a good amp - then decide if it sounds good or not.
Schaller Strap Locks.

A nice graphite or bone nut.

Locking tuners.

Some SD pickups are always a good investment, or Swineshead if you;re in the UK.

There's those cool bridges too that increase resonance, but I can't remember what they're called atm.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I agree with getting a new amp, if the 500T comes stock in the bridge. An excellent pickup for the explorer is also in my opinion the Tony Iommi signature Gibson one (forgot the type name).

I personally wouldn't recommend EMG's. A proper Gibson has good quality mahogony, you wouldn't want to waste that on active pickups like EMG's, since they ignore the wood a lot more than passive pickups due to the db boost from the preamp.

EDIT: Also, if you really insist on replacing a pickup, a Duncan Jazz bridge in the neck and Full Shred in the bridge is an awesome combo for mahogony.
the only thing you could do to make it better is put in some air conditioning an a tv
Ace and the Spades©

Gibson Explorer Heritage Cherry!
Quote by JaeSwift
And a fridge with Heineken =)

Off all the Dutch beers, Heineken is definitely one of the most boring/bland ones.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Off all the Dutch beers, Heineken is definitely one of the most boring/bland ones.

+1

Hertog Jan and Grolsch > Heineken.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
+1

I hate Grolsch, I had some at my uncle's B-Day party...eww...i was missing Heineken at the moment.
Quote by Green_Jelly
+1

I prefer Grolsch myself, but Heineken is a lot more exported =p