Page 1 of 3
Right now I have an Epi Les Paul Standard, Epi Triggerman SS 60w amp, and a Big Muff. Now I want more towards the tone of Page, I have about 110$ is there anything that I could get that could get me closer to that? Thx for any help. much appreciated.
the triggerman has some pretty good cleans (based off my experiance, i have the 30 watt version)... so do some eq-ing to get it right... on my amp have the chorus on at the level closest to delay... then the treble at 6 the mids at 7 and the lows at 6... then i use my big muff's volume at 4.5, the tone from 5-8, and the distortion at 4... and of course my bridge pickup... hopefully that helps
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Treble around six.
Mids at eight or nine
Bass around five
Gain around five.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
the blue box is a crazy effect but im not sure thats what your looking for if you want his general tone... and the big muff is a fuzz
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
the blue box is a crazy effect but im not sure thats what your looking for if you want his general tone... and the big muff is a fuzz

Yea so I figure I got the fuzz... I wonder if getting a bridge burstbucker would help?
burstbuckers are really overpriced... i think something like a seymour duncan 59 might suit your needs... the reason probably keeping you from the tone is the fact that epi pickups have pretty muddy distortion
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

yeah pickups on epi's are not very good though the neck pickup have a really nice lead fat tone.
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Well thing is that really, his tone is basically a tube amp loud. Yes he has used a fuzz, but most of his tone is from the amp (atleast the LP tone). For 110 you can get an Epiphone Valve Junior, which will make you get a lot closer to his tone.

Your amp is 75% of his tone (or more!).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
+1 on the crate... very nice fuzzy early zep from that amp.
I think what most of the responses are trying to tell you are that you're not going to get anywhere with $100.
And nobody's mentioned the tonebender yet. That's a large part of the tone as well.
^I've been reading some things, and Page actually mentioned used those Vox Super Beatle amps on II... SS

But yeah if you want the tones from I get yourself a SolaSound MKII clone. I'd actually say the amp played a lesser role in the tone on most of the songs from that album. I just got done building myself one not too long ago, lovely pedal.
Yeah I read the thing about the wah over on the Vox Showroom site, pretty interesting.

I kind of want a Super Beatle now...
Quote by Gabel
A tube amp.

A Valve Junior is $100

+1
Any tube amp is better than a solid state. Tube amps are key. Be sure to keep the pre-amp gain BELOW 10-12 o'clock. Crank the volume up. Treble and bass should be around 1-2 o'clock. Mids should go no higher than 12 o'clock. Add just a pinch of reverb to get a live sound.

A common misconception about Pages tone is that he played with a lot of distortion. In reality he played pretty clean. A little more gain than Brian Setzer. The key is to keep your pre-amp gain low and really push those output tubes. He played with a 100-watt Marshall Superlead but exchanged the stock output tubes for four K88 Power tubes. Each were 50 watts which made his amp put out 200-watts of power, so Jimmy's amp was VERY loud.

Jimmy also used:
A Tonebender
MXR Bluebox (fool in the rain)
Maestro Echoplex
Vox wahs

Now if you want the Set-up for the Madison Square Garden shows:
3 Marshall 100 watt Plexis (modified with KT88 tubes to boost output).
6 Marshall 4x12 cabinets (one to Jonesy's side of the drumkit).
1 Orange 200 watt MatAmp (Used only for his Therimin).
1 Orange Speaker Cabinet.
1 1958 Les Paul Standard Sunburst.
1 1972 Les Paul Standard (Cherry Red).
1 Gibson EDS1275 Doubleneck (Custom made for Jimmy as they were out of production at the time).
2 Maestro Echoplexes (One for his guitar with footswitch onstage next to wah. 1 for Theremin).
1 Vox Wah Pedal.
1 MXR Phaser (Offstage, operated by roadie during bow solo).
Quote by bradulator
Clitoris?

Quote by HeyItsChenny
i smoked weed for the first time last night... it was awesome.

end of story.
Yea most of Jimmy Page's distortion comes from hitting the strings hard on a "loud" tube amp, pushing the amp and the output resulting in a sustaining and fat overdrive, without a lot of distortion.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

He did use smaller amps for recording though. Like the supro and such.
Quote by bradulator
Clitoris?

Quote by HeyItsChenny

end of story.
He also used Ampegs. I seen a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it.
Quote by bradulator
Clitoris?

Quote by HeyItsChenny

end of story.
Yea he did. Which is also another contributing factor, they basically lacked any preamp gain. Jimmy Page's OD is very smooth and soft, not harsh like preamp gain can be.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Yea he did. Which is also another contributing factor, they basically lacked any preamp gain. Jimmy Page's OD is very smooth and soft, not harsh like preamp gain can be.

Something like an 18 watt plexi would be good then right? Cause you could crank it and not have to rely on preamp gain?
(Not sure if I want great cleans and rely on pedals for overdrive, or get an amp with great OD with decent cleans after the volume is turned down.)

Quote by Longshanks
He also used Ampegs. I seen a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it.

BTW any ideas which Ampeg he used?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 26, 2007,
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Something like an 18 watt plexi would be good then right? Cause you could crank it and not have to rely on preamp gain?
(Not sure if I want great cleans and rely on pedals for overdrive, or get an amp with great OD with decent cleans after the volume is turned down.)

BTW any ideas which Ampeg he used?

Marshalls have nice cleans and THE crunch. Here's a ceriatonek copy. Sounds pretty good to me. Is this what you had in mind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZY1koiZZ20
Quote by bradulator
Clitoris?

Quote by HeyItsChenny

end of story.
Yeah the overdrive sounds great, but i've always wondered how the cleans were. Looks like the map breaks up really early, I suppose I could go for a 36 watt...
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

you NEED tubes for Jimmy Page tone... Besides that, I think the DS-1 is the best Page-like tone for the money.
I have a Marshall Guv'nor and it has a great Page tone. well, Marshall tone is more like it.
can do almost any Marshall tone. very Plexi-ish
Speaking of Super Beatles.. I read in a magazine that Page said he used a Super Beatle for Whole Lotta Love. So if you want that kind of tone...
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Maybe drop a PM to that guy Kerry (Call1800ksmyazz), he built an 18 watt Plexi. Here's a clean tone from his: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lufG50eNFy8
I'd imagine the rolled off cleans aren't bad at all.

I'm considering a Supro clone at the moment...

Nice i've always wondered which Supro Jimmy used,

I actually did send him an email once asking if the 18 could have headroom live, got a great fast reply the next day. Said I could go for the 36 watt and switch to 18 if I wanted.
My guitar teacher says the 18 is more than enough though. Times like these I wish we could try out Ceriatone amps lol.

The led-zeppelin.org site says it was the 1690T Coronado. I don't think Page ever mentioned the model, he would just say he used a Small Supro amp.

The one I was looking at says it's based off the Supro Model 24, it's a kit btw (http://www.turretboards.com/kit_24_amp_kit.htm). The clips sound pretty good, not sure if I'll get one or not. I really wouldn't mind a Plexi though...
Then again would anyone mind a plexi?

It's like asking if anyone would mind a cupcake.

Edit: I think that user who demoed the 18 watt is a UGer.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 26, 2007,
i think just a clean amp with nice speakers played with a telecasterish guitar through a ToneBender MKII will be good enough for most ears.

hell, it's good enough through my clean Blues Jr!!! (volume was real low.)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well I get a great Page tone from my Orange straight (listen to the Whole Lotta Love clip in my profile!)
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Longshanks
He played with a 100-watt Marshall Superlead but exchanged the stock output tubes for four K88 Power tubes. Each were 50 watts which made his amp put out 200-watts of power, so Jimmy's amp was VERY loud.

There's no way you can get 200 watts out of a Superlead without replacing almost every part inside.
Page 1 of 3