Hi, I've been searching for a guitar for quite a while now, I made a topic here and everyone told me I should get the Ibanez RG321, it's cheap and good. Now, I've been thinking alot, and I was just about to order it, then I stumbled upon three used guitars, the Ibanez S470, S520EX and RGT42DX. All of these seems pretty good to me, but I need your opinions and experience:
Which guitar should I pick?

The S470
the S520EX
the RGT42DX
or the RG321MH?

I like to play metal, just so you know. It'd be a shame getting a blues guitar for metal playing.
Any RG owns. I'm not experienced with either of those RG models, but I'd definately reccomend one of those RG's. Probably the RGT42DX. It seems like a nice guitar.
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."
If you want a trem go for the s470 or s520ex, but if you want a hardtail the RG321mh is for you.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

S520ex > S470

RGT42DX > RG321MH

though, i didnt like the pickups on either of the rg's or the s470 (i havent tried s520ex)

the trem on the s is much better than the edge III on the rgt42dx and rg321.

so basically ur choice :P
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)
Hmm, the S470's head has been broken, but glued back together (by a professional of course), how will that affect the sound? Is it likely that it'll break again soon?

EDIT: Kramer1309: Of course it's my choice, I just want opinions on the guitars, so I can make the choice easier.

Another thing, I've read that the Edge III tremolo is bad. How bad? Does it break? Does it give you a hard time tuning, changing strings etc?
Last edited by Flaringo at Oct 26, 2007,
S470 FTW!!! the ZR Trem is amazing

AVOID THE EDGE III AT ALL COSTS (unless you're willing to do some modding work to replace it with an Edge, OFR or Edge Pro)
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Quote by Flaringo
Hmm, the S470's head has been broken, but glued back together (by a professional of course), how will that affect the sound? Is it likely that it'll break again soon?

EDIT: Kramer1309: Of course it's my choice, I just want opinions on the guitars, so I can make the choice easier.

Another thing, I've read that the Edge III tremolo is bad. How bad? Does it break? Does it give you a hard time tuning, changing strings etc?

The only good thing I've ever heard about the Edge III tremelo is that the cavity they make for it fits an OFR perfectly.

Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
my headstock was broken and put a back together and you really cant even tell. Its been fixed for at least a year and hasnt shown any signs of weakness. I even put like 13s on it to play in very low tunings but got bored and tuned it back in standard with them. So its still as strong as it once was.

But I would go with the S. They own any RG. As far as which one, I would say go with the 520. Just because they are pretty identical except for the fret markers and the extra pickup on the 470. The neck has been broken and you never know and it might have gotten some crappy glue or something. Its just not something you would ever want to have to worry about.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
Quote by Flaringo

I like to play metal, just so you know. It'd be a shame getting a blues guitar for metal playing.

Go to my profile > guitar skills > all of these are recorded with a Fender Strat (SSS) and an Ibanez RG (HSH).

Eventhough you'd probably classify the Fender as a blues guitar, the samples I made with it (like harmonic minor string skipping) aren't out of place amongst those of the Ibanez (I reckon, they're not at least... ).

My point? Some instruments may have tones or styles at which they shine, but that doesn't mean they can't do other things, too.

Quote by Flaringo
Hi, I've been searching for a guitar for quite a while now, I made a topic here and everyone told me I should get the Ibanez RG321, it's cheap and good. Now, I've been thinking alot, and I was just about to order it, then I stumbled upon three used guitars, the Ibanez S470, S520EX and RGT42DX. All of these seems pretty good to me, but I need your opinions and experience:
Which guitar should I pick?

The S470
the S520EX
the RGT42DX
or the RG321MH?

I'd recommend against the RGT, mainly because of the trem. The others are damn good guitars though, especially the S series.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
You usually don't have to worry about not getting metal sound out of an ibanez, really. I think you should just try them all out and see which one fits you best
Recommend against? Like "God forbid you to buy this piece of...!"? I'm not english, so I'm struggeling with understanding that.

doctor woot: well of course the best thing would be to go down to the store myself and try them all out, but I live in a small town in Norway and we only have a tiny guitar store, I think they have one ibanez guitar there, an RG I think.
Quote by Flaringo
Recommend against? Like "God forbid you to buy this piece of...!"? I'm not english, so I'm struggeling with understanding that.

I guess, yes.

The RGT has the Edge III bridge, which isn't that great, so you will be better off with a hardtail (= fixed bridge).
yeah, i have a hardtail RG and it's pretty good, but it's only gonna get better
Ah, if only... That is indeed the answer to all my problems, but it is simply too expensive. And I'm going to have a hard time finding a used one in Norway if you had a hard time finding one in the first place.
Hmm, is it easy to replace the Edge III trem on the RGT42DX? Will it cost me much?
Quote by Flaringo
Hmm, is it easy to replace the Edge III trem on the RGT42DX? Will it cost me much?

The cheapest way would be to just block it. You can do this in three ways:

-remove the trem, fill the cavity and install a hardtail bridge. This is possible, but will take a lot of time and effort, plus you'd probably have to refinish the guitar.

-block the Edge III with something like a block of wood. This is cheap, not too hard and can be a good solution.

-install a Tremol-no (provided they fit on the Edge III). These things cost 65$ and allow you to block the trem, or put it in dive bomb only mode with the twist of a screw. You should definitely check them out: www.tremol-no.com .

If you want another trem on the other hand it's going to get quite expensive. The OFR trems fit best in the cavity of the Edge III, but they're not cheap (like pretty much any good double locking tremolo).
Alright, thanks. Now what exactly makes the Edge III bad? I've heard that it's bad, I just don't know why.
Quote by Flaringo
Alright, thanks. Now what exactly makes the Edge III bad? I've heard that it's bad, I just don't know why.

It's made out of softer metals and the knife edges wear out sooner because of that.
I decided not to go for the S470 because of the broken head. Now, what are the main differences between the S520EX and RGT42DX? And what difference does those differences make (well that was an odd sentence) in terms of sound and feel?
Okay, so both the RGT42DX and the S520EX are used. The S520EX are missing the panels back (covering the hardware), and has a couple of scratches (see pictures), and it has been used for 1 year. It's being sold for $558 (3000 NOK -- and yes, I know this sounds like alot, but prices are higher in Norway). The RGT42DX on the other hand seems to be in good shape, has been used for about half a year and is being sold for $688 (3700 NOK). Now, if one of you were going to buy one of these, would you go for the RGT42DX, the S520EX or the RG321MH (brand new)?
Dude, i played the RG321MH again today. It sounds absolutely dead. It was as if someone had suffocated it. btw, it felt as if there was a wood top on the guitar's exterior.

Out of the RGT and s520ex, i would opt for the s520ex mainly because of the trem. (i havent tried the s520ex, but the pups on the rgt42dx were quite weak).

my 2p
Gear:
ESP LTD EC1000
Douglas Spad (Alder) [ custom wired with EMG and Passives ] : Kramer Striker FR424SM
Line 6 POD X3Live : Digitech Rp80 : Tascam US144
Kustom Sound (crappy ass) solid state amp
Old Steel String Acoustic (some local company)