yes, it's the best way to get it to ring out properly.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
You can use just your index and little finger and miss out the octave. But then you dont get as fuller sound. Stick to Index ring and pinky if you can.
I also just use index and ring finger for power chords. My pinky could be adding another note if I wanted.
Use your index on the root note, ring and pinky on the others (5th and octave).

This is by far the best way for you to learn power chords as you'll use an apadtion of these fingering in many barre chord shapes also.
Quote by ozzysworld
Use your index on the root note, ring and pinky on the others (5th and octave).

This is by far the best way for you to learn power chords as you'll use an apadtion of these fingering in many barre chord shapes also.

and is it just me, or do people using 2 fingers rarely hit the octave?
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
i use all 3
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
When I was first starting out, I would use my index finger on the root note, my middle finger on the fifth, and my ring finger on the octave. It was very uncomfortable but I just couldn't do it the proper way..then one day I just started doing it the right way and picked it up in 5 minutes.
My Gear:
  • Baby Blue Fender MexiStrat
  • Vox AD30VT

MikeLikes2Rock, I tried your idea, Genius!

Yeah, I'm a genius.
i use my index and my ring to bar over the oither 2 strings for a lazy way
if your lazy you can do that and try to mute the other string make sure you use the ring finger to press down on only 2 strings and mute the top strings
Quote by Cofflecakes
I used to use just index and ring and I always hit the octave. But I've since switched to using my ring and pinky. It's just better that way.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Cofflecakes

i hit the octave, and i use only my index and ring fingers. same with my guitar teacher.

Jack my swag
what do you guys mean about hiting the octave, ive been playing a while but never heard that ?
Sorry to ask if its obvious

Custom Built Pearlescent Red Strat

Alpine White Les Paul Copy
Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
They mean; conventionally, say an A power chord is played like this

E:-
B:-
G:-
D:-
A:-7
E:-5

But, with an octave on the D String (7th fret D string = 'A' the same note as the root note, the 5th Fret on E string which is also 'A', only an octave higher)

E:-
B:-
G:-
D:-7
A:-7
E:-5

Is that
Cort M800 - £320
Cort MR780FX - £220
ah thank you, that means i never hit the octave lol, thank you

Custom Built Pearlescent Red Strat

Alpine White Les Paul Copy
Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
I usually just use my index and pinky, not hitting the octave.

I don't use powerchords that much though, sometimes I make a point to hit the octave if I'm farther down on the fretboard.
take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship, my senses have been stripped.