Every school I've been in has a dulcimer of some sort, but no one knows how to play it, not even the music teacher or the person who owns it. Never heard one in music. Hell, I don't even know if there's a definitive tuning to the Goddamn contraption.

The dulcimer has me stumped, perhaps the pit can enlighten me on the hollow wooden club with strings that's called the dulcimer?
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by Spay
Every school I've been in has a dulcimer of some sort, but no one knows how to play it, not even the music teacher or the person who owns it. Never heard one in music. Hell, I don't even know if there's a definitive tuning to the Goddamn contraption.

The dulcimer has me stumped, perhaps the pit can enlighten me on the hollow wooden club with strings that's called the dulcimer?

What is it? Pic? I can't recall.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

^The Appalation Dulcimer (the one I'm asking about)
The Pit. The Movie.
I think it's those instruments where you pluck with your left or right hand and then slide across the string with a metal thumb thing with your other hand to make a tropical-kind of sound.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Maybe like a lap steel? Hell, I don't know. Crazy.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by The Overlord

Did you read the article? It made it even more confusing for me
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by Spay

It does show you how to tune it though. I guess play it by ear after that.
You don't, the dulcimer plays you.

Or something.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by Spay

Yes, I did read the article. The first line of the "Playing" section says:
A traditional way to play the instrument is to lay it flat on the lap and pluck or strum the strings with one hand, while fretting with the other.

So lay it across your legs, fret the strings with one hand, and pluck them with the other. It's like playing guitar, but with your hands over the neck instead of coming up from under it.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by The Overlord
Yes, I did read the article. The first line of the "Playing" section says:

So lay it across your legs, fret the strings with one hand, and pluck them with the other. It's like playing guitar, but with your hands over the neck instead of coming up from under it.

Ah ha! So Herman Li must've specialized in the dulcimer.
The Pit. The Movie.