Page 1 of 2
??
i honestly cant tell ye why i started, i woke up 1 day last year and just said " hmm i think i might try learnin guitar".

this the same for anyone else? what made u all start?
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
I listened to metal for a couple of hours every day, and then all of a sudden a friend said: "why don't you start playing the guitar?"

I couldn't think of a single good reason, so I started.
WTLTL 2011
my ex gf got a guitar for christmas (freshman year) and we were always in competition of who could do what better (why we broke up) so i started working at it. i have been playing 4 years....and i feel like ive only played for a year or so. when i think about it i kinda suck...bad. compared to all the people i listen to
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by craig_mccann
??
i honestly cant tell ye why i started, i woke up 1 day last year and just said " hmm i think i might try learnin guitar".

this the same for anyone else? what made u all start?

My dad has played guitar for as long as I can remember, so I've always had guitars around me.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
My dad has played guitar for as long as I can remember, so I've always had guitars around me.

Same actually.
Three reasons actually.

1) Girls
2) Girls
3) Girls.

Hence the Crue song Girls Girls Girls =)

Seriously tho. Besides for the girls it was my gate way to get away as I had a bad childhood. Playing was my "vacation" if you will.

And for the love of music, of course.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Well. I had only listened to what came in the radio, and I started getting into rock. I found this music so much more complex and impressive, and well after listening to it for a while I thought...Well I'd be cool if I could just play a little guitar. So I started on my old acoustic, wic I had never used, learning some chords and one day bought an electric starter set. Started getting into Freak Kitchen, and to play that stuff you had to be a whole lot better than what I was. So I started practicing hard, and now I can't leave my guitar a day alone. I love playing, and I want to do everything. Sweep, alternative, and stuff. Harmonics are also a very funky thing to play around with. Strange things can be done with them. Also make my own music. I have so many ideas
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I have wanted to get into it for a years, was on holiday and thought. I have money to spend, so why not start?
well, my dad was a rich bastard, and he bought me and electric for christmas four years ago. i got it out every 6months or so to pretend to be able to play, then one day, i kinda went "think ill learn" and played every single day since then. that was seven months ago
^^ i wish my dad played...or my mom...

dads an alcoholic
and
mom hates taht i play
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Bonsaischaap

that seems to happen a lot, wish i was that lucky, i couldve been playing a lot sooner
i need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
my grandpa was the lead guitarist for Country Junction, and i was always a woodwind player. when i saw him play and sing at the same time and saw how diverse the instrument was, i had to get one. i got a strat for xmas when i was 10 and when i turned 13 i got into extreme metal.

from the day i listened to Testament, i played guitar everyday to be like Alex Skolnik. now i listen to more technical stuff like Origin, Alarum and Martyr and even some folk music and all i can say is guitar is the most fun instrument ever. way better than woodwinds!

i think the guitar's ability to fit into any genre makes it the most popular instrument ever.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
My father loved classic rock, but he got married and had kids. He never really got a chance to chase his love for music, so he supported me doing it instead.
my friends were looking to start a band, they need someone to play bass. my dad had a bass sitting around so i grabed it and away we went.

im now a better guitar and bass player then all of them.
I got into it pretty much 'cause my littlesister got an acoustic, and I just really liked learning new stuff with it. I learned pretty fast and was quickly better than her.
Then dad bought me an electric, and you might guess that she wasn't happy. She's always telling me that it's her "fault" that I started playing, and whenever I start playing in my room and she's there, she leaves right away.
When my older brother got his electric guitar, i got a bass guitar because i didnt want him to have all the musical attention in the family seeing how he was really good. But one day i decided to pick up his guitar and play around with it until i eventually got the riff to Def Leppard's "Photograph". I was hooked. He bought me a guitar for my birthday the next year and ive been playing everyday since and now after 4 years of playing, im a better musician than him. First i started playing just for fun but now its like my way of breaking off from the rest of the world. Sad thing about the whole little story is i still have the same piece of crap guitar and and 15 watt amp. Man i need to upgrade
My girlfriend and I were together for quite awhile, one day, she came to me and said she was pregnant. We were both excited and both decided to keep the baby, and a week later she went and got an abortion. She didn't even talk to me, so I broke up with her. She turned into a complete bitch and I was devestated that I lost the girl I loved most and our baby. I was so 'out of it' that I said I wanted to do something crazy, drove by guitar center on the way home from work and was hooked. Bought a cheap Epiphone LP 100, kept it about 5 months before I upgraded to what I have, but I used the guitar to channel all my emotions from her.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
My friend got one, so i did. I one-upped him by getting an Ibanez RGT42 and we played. He stopped about one month later, and ive been playing for 5 years. Satch and Vai were my biggest influences.
I didn't have any good hobby at that time and then my friend who is a guitarist suggested me to start learning it. It's a good way to express feelings, have fun and kill some time, so why not.
Quote by Paith
My girlfriend and I were together for quite awhile, one day, she came to me and said she was pregnant. We were both excited and both decided to keep the baby, and a week later she went and got an abortion. She didn't even talk to me, so I broke up with her. She turned into a complete bitch and I was devestated that I lost the girl I loved most and our baby. I was so 'out of it' that I said I wanted to do something crazy, drove by guitar center on the way home from work and was hooked. Bought a cheap Epiphone LP 100, kept it about 5 months before I upgraded to what I have, but I used the guitar to channel all my emotions from her.

Isn't that illegal? Having an abortion with out getting the fathers signature.
Quote by pinkhaze29
Isn't that illegal? Having an abortion with out getting the fathers signature.

no, she showed me all the forms AFTER it was completed of course. There wasn't even a spot for two signatures, just the patients. Also, because we were not married, it put me completly out of the picture.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
It was mostly a random idea. I'd been playing clarinet in the school band for 5yrs and switched to sax. After a year of playing sax in the band and being sick of it, I still owed $1200 so I thought why not return it and get a guitar, always wanted to play. One of the best decisions I've made, although I should've kept the sax. Gotta get another one.
Look Ma, No Sig!!!
I have a friend who's a shredder and a blues guy too. Well, he's tone isn't exactly versatile, but whatever. Well, my bro. met this friend of mine and introduced me to him and to heavy metal. Black Sabbath was the first technical music I listened to. So, learned some things. I already knew the basics at the time, so it was pretty easy for me because my fingers already had strength.

Now, I play, to pursue my dreams, for my love of music, and to get out of the world of musical retardedness, because I hear emos all the time until I get a hand on a guitar or get home.
I've wanted to play since the 4th grade actually, but my parents didnt have enough money to buy me one since we were really poor (before we came to the U.S, this was in Cuba) but the image of me sitting down on a dark stage with a spot light on a Fiesta Red Fender Stratocaster stayed in my head for years.

I became a rap-head while in middle school, but I still wanted to play guitar for some reason, I had been a singer for the past 6 years or so, so it kept me entertained and in the arts. I then entered High School and I went to a performing arts high school for the Drama program here in Tampa. I then encountered the massive amount of guitar players in the school and I felt right at home...yet I didnt have a guitar. I had no money, only a dream and determination, yet by the summer of my freshman year my grandmother got me an acoustic, which was nice for a while (I still have it) and about 2 months later I got an electric (my current Epiphone LP Junior) for a couple of years I've slaved with it, still broke and in hopes of getting a new guitar soon.

that's my little story.
Quote by Paith
no, she showed me all the forms AFTER it was completed of course. There wasn't even a spot for two signatures, just the patients. Also, because we were not married, it put me completly out of the picture.

wow thats horrible
i was 15 and started to get serious with music. i'd listen to hours on end and loved it. i started being bored with everything i did in my life and i saw my friends learning guitar and i said if they can do it y cant they? i started playing as a hobby,but now i want it to be my life. so i started playing because of boredom lol
When I was 14, listening to music 24/4, grew my hair and wanted somthin to do....

So Ive got a mate who plays so he kinda guided me before I got one. Then i got one and went crazy over it. Now im better then my mate when hes been playing 3 years longer than me. But he really does suck
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
it was a little while back, I was listening to duality by slipknot and thought "wow, their guitarist is so hardcore, i wish I could play like that"

later on me and my cousin were listening to bleeding mascara and he was amazed at the sweep picking, he thought that guy was a guitar god and said "bet you could never do that"

and now here i am with my guitar in my lap realising how funny it is that I thought said "hardcore" bands are amazing. I'm glad I got into guitar, I can listen to a wider scope of music now
Well I wanted to learn an intrument after I stopped playin the piano - and My brother (who quit guitar after his first year), was playing at the time. I thought "hey, maybe I should try"

And since then (5 years +) i've loved the damn thing.

+1 FTW!
Umm... my dad played guitar when he was young.... He bought some quite cheep Wasburn guitar few years ago.... Then I heard one my friend started to play guitar so I though I would try dads guitar. So I started.... First few weeks were awful and I couldn't play ****. Then I had month brake or so and then I got into playing it damn much. Then I just played and played and played many hours a day (best so far 11 hours). I have played only for half year but I'm better than my father.... he doesn't like it when I play some "hard" (iron man?) solos and say "play it" :P
well that's my story... 80% sure nobody read it,,,
I originally bought a guitar to try and impress a girl.
Then she went bye bye I lost interest

Then I discovered heavy metal
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
I heard Dammit by Blink 182, and decided I wanted to be able to play the catchy tunes I heard, so I grabbed my father's acoustic and went from there.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I started playing because I thought it was cool. Now, I really just want it to be my job. The guitar drew me into music.
I played guitar because i listened to 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and i was like whow i wish i could do that.

So i asked my sis to teach me that song at that time i used to play an Encore Classical Guitar then after a few months i got a guitar teacher (he's a ledgened) and then i owend Encore strat then Ibanez TCM-50 (electro-acoustic)

learned to play when i was 13 now am 16 i didnt start taking guitar serioulsy till i was 15.
Played Guitar Hero/Frets on Fire like a bitch, found that it wasn't really satisfying anymore. I've been playing for about 4 months.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Last edited by *kas at Oct 26, 2007,
dont know
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Parker Nitefly with SD Hotrails and JB Two Tone

Amp
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
Boss DD-6
EHX Big Muff